Missing the NHL?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
no, it's a business. They could care less about the results as long as morons keep paying for the extortion they call ticket price.

I see your point, Toronto fans will pay whatever price regardless of the product. That, unfortunately is a trait nearly all true Hockey fans share. Thats why the NHL doesn't care that the product might be off the ice for a year, it will be back and so will us, the fans. The last lockout was supposed to end the NHL, or at least cause serious issues for it. Instead the opposite happened and everything was boosted, fans came back in record numbers at even higher prices, TV contracts were more lucrative.

The same thing will happen after this lockout because fans such as myself will go and buy the product regardless of them screwing me over. All of us true diehard hockey fans will. We'll say "Thanks for fucking us in the ass, now lets watch some hockey".

That being said, I still disagree that Toronto isn't TRYING to put a good product on the ice, they are. And BB is trying too. Unfortunately they made the wrong choice in BB who may end up setting the franchise back even further.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
no, it's a business. They could care less about the results as long as morons keep paying for the extortion they call ticket price. This is the primary reason why there is no way there is going to be another NHL franchise anywhere near Toronto. MLSE would not allow it and NHL is not about to piss off its cash cow.
I can understand your bitterness but with the recent sale to Rodgers/Bell perhaps they can improve.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Here is a good article that expresses exactly how I feel, I couldn't agree more with what he is saying

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/09/15/hockey-fans-to-blame-for-nhl-lockout/

Following the 2004-05 NHL lockout the fans came back in droves. During the 2005-06 season 25 of the 30 teams had an increase in attendance from the 2003-04 season. Moreover, the average cost (tickets, concessions, parking, etc.) for a family of four rose from $256 in 2003-04, to $283 at the start of the 2007-08 campaign. The latest figures from Team Marketing Report, for 2011, show the average cost at $329, a 29% increase since the season before the 2004-05 lockout.

Thanks to the fans who continued to pour through the turnstiles, the value of the average NHL team has increased from $159 million in 2003, to $240 million last year, while the average salary for a hockey player has increased from $1.6 million to $2.4 million.

So rabid hockey fans (myself included) should not point fingers at NHL commissioner Gary Bettman or NHLPA boss Donal Fehr. We are to blame. Instead of punishing the owners and players after the last lockout we rewarded them. Why should we have expected better treatment this time around?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I see your point, Toronto fans will pay whatever price regardless of the product. That, unfortunately is a trait nearly all true Hockey fans share. Thats why the NHL doesn't care that the product might be off the ice for a year, it will be back and so will us, the fans. The last lockout was supposed to end the NHL, or at least cause serious issues for it. Instead the opposite happened and everything was boosted, fans came back in record numbers at even higher prices, TV contracts were more lucrative.

The same thing will happen after this lockout because fans such as myself will go and buy the product regardless of them screwing me over. All of us true diehard hockey fans will. We'll say "Thanks for fucking us in the ass, now lets watch some hockey".

That being said, I still disagree that Toronto isn't TRYING to put a good product on the ice, they are. And BB is trying too. Unfortunately they made the wrong choice in BB who may end up setting the franchise back even further.

I haven't seen TML play like a team in the last 5 years.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That is a tough stance to take. As a fan that loves the sport, to not go to the games as a penalty, doesn't make me much of fan. You can't expect people to not support the sport they love.

Then just get used to lockout because it will keep happening.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
You can absolutely be a fan of the game and not put money in their pockets when they decide to return. Come on, the NHL's product has been in decline for a while now. The game isn't what it was, and yes that is a reflection of the big dollars invested in players, but it's only going to get worse. Unfortunately, the NHL's growth has served to expose its owners and front offices - it turns out they're horrible at managing their league. And once more, they want the players to reach into their checks and pay for the league's financial issues.

I said it before, I can do without and it wouldn't be too bad if the NHL never played another game. The best chance we fans have is an entirely new league with 24-26 teams. Expansion and poorly planned (short term impact over long term investment) relocation created an economic issue for this league that really isn't being addressed. These stoppages will keep happening until it is. And that means getting back to hockey and doing it with about half a dozen fewer teams.

Nemesis13

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2006
The Preds coaching staff has been hosting Adult hockey Clinics, since they have nothing else to do. Barry Trotz has been playing for some local beer league teams here in Nashville.
On the good side I got some good coaching by Mitch Korn, he would make a good drill sergeant. Here are a few pics from the clinic one of me getting yelled at, and the other a glove save. Also Terry Crisp was there messing around taking shots, which as a Flyers fan was a big treat for me.

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

Last edited:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I have been missing hockey since the Flames left Atlanta, and the Thrashers as well. I can't believe our franchise was destroyed by a car crash. Wow. Only in Georgia. I mean seriously, FUCK.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
The Preds coaching staff has been hosting Adult hockey Clinics, since they have nothing else to do. Barry Trotz has been playing for some local beer league teams here in Nashville.
On the good side I got some good coaching by Mitch Korn, he would make a good drill sergeant. Here are a few pics from the clinic one of me getting yelled at, and the other a glove save.

That's cool.

My kid plays hockey and I think it'd be fun to get some of the pros (coaches or players) to come out and work with them.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
That's cool.

My kid plays hockey and I think it'd be fun to get some of the pros (coaches or players) to come out and work with them.

You will get a kick out of this too if you're currently experiencing youth hockey. Imagine how your kid would react...

http://www.section303.com/preds-fan...o-give-kids-an-unforgettable-experience-48627

I'll be honest, I know we're a small market but our core fans have to be up there with the best in all of hockey. We love this sport and this team.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Yea that was fun, I was there those kids had no idea.

At first I was bummed for not being able to make it due to a prior commitment. Then I was following the whole thing on twitter and of course that made it all worse. I'm jealous of you man. :)

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
The only thing I'm angry at is that I don't see any KHL games that they were promising to broadcast.

I think NHL players are a bunch of fat ass millionaires and I actually support the owners in limiting their contracts and salaries.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
The only thing I'm angry at is that I don't see any KHL games that they were promising to broadcast.

I think NHL players are a bunch of fat ass millionaires and I actually support the owners in limiting their contracts and salaries.

They broadcasted one game

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
the only STH i know that isnt thinking about cancelling his season tickets is someone who has had them since before the hurricanes won the cup and doesnt want to lose his priority.

but i dont think he will last all season.

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
How much longer do you think this will go before they start thinking of officially canceling the entire season?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
How much longer do you think this will go before they start thinking of officially canceling the entire season?

94-95 season started at the end of January.
04-05 season was cancelled in February.

Best guess is February. Realize that for the owners, the length of the regular season doesn't matter much. They mostly break even or worse on regular season games. Playoffs are practically pure profit, because the players don't get paid extra for playoffs. So they'll be reluctant to cancel the season if they can salvage enough to have playoffs.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Well, anyone who thought the mediators might progress this thing - signs are NOT good.

Today's meetings are over. The mediators are done after just two days of meetings with them. Saying the sides are too far apart and no more mediation can be done at this time.

Apparently the PA is now working toward desertification. Any chance of having a season this year is pretty much non-existent now.

Good bye NHL. We'll see you next year I guess

Last edited:

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Well, anyone who thought the mediators might progress this thing - signs are NOT good.

Today's meetings are over. The mediators are done after just two days of meetings with them. Saying the sides are too far apart and no more mediation can be done at this time.

Apparently the PA is now working toward decertification. Any chance of having a season this year is pretty much non-existent now.

Good bye NHL. We'll see you next year I guess

yeah, stupid move, imo. i dont wholeheartedly support either side, but the players are godawful at negotiating.