Missing Link: 47 million year old lemur fossil links humans to ancient ancestors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Pretty exciting stuff... so much mystery and big implications.

I've always been a big science buff although I got turned off in high school because my teacher thrived on botany and it got old staring at plant cells all semester.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
its a trick of the devil. The world is only 10,000 years old!

6,000, i:eek:gnorant FOOL, count the begettings!

Right.. and the devil just buried all those fossil's all over hte world to try and trick us. ;)

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Scott Adams wasn't far off after all, managers are decendants of Lemurs, the drunken kind.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
And note, that most current theories don't say that humans evolved from monkeys. Just that there is a common ancestor way back a few million years ago. That ancestor broke into two different lineages. One became apes, the other us.

There isn't a pinpoint ancestor. Yet. Which is where this could be what helps tie them together.

Huh? Apes and monkeys split millions of years after this fossil went extinct. Nothing about this find will tie those two together.

The big question is whether we are tarsiers or lemurs.

Yes. But so many people think of evolution as people evolving from monkeys. If I evolved from a monkey, then why don't I have a tail! type folks. Was just saying that's not what happened at all. Didn't mean to say that this ties us to monkeys.

You have a TAIL BONE, duh...

Stop pretending you're a teddy bear!

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fire400

You have a TAIL BONE, duh...

Stop pretending you're a teddy bear!

the devil made the tailbone to trick us. Repent!

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Originally posted by: LumbergTech
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
And note, that most current theories don't say that humans evolved from monkeys. Just that there is a common ancestor way back a few million years ago. That ancestor broke into two different lineages. One became apes, the other us.

There isn't a pinpoint ancestor. Yet. Which is where this could be what helps tie them together.

Huh? Apes and monkeys split millions of years after this fossil went extinct. Nothing about this find will tie those two together.

The big question is whether we are tarsiers or lemurs.

Yes. But so many people think of evolution as people evolving from monkeys. If I evolved from a monkey, then why don't I have a tail! type folks. Was just saying that's not what happened at all. Didn't mean to say that this ties us to monkeys.

apparently we evolved from something less evolved than a monkey

The lemur/tarsier ancestor subsequently evolved into other more advanced primates and we eventually sprang from them.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: dullard
Originally posted by: Red Irish
If we go back far enough, couldn't we all be traced back to a single cell? And before that?
From what I've seen, that is theoretically possible. However, research into this topic has run into an inconsistancy. There wasn't enough time to evolve from the original single cell to humans given the age of the Earth. So, either (1) the Earth is older than we thought, (2) evolution happens faster than we think, or (3) some genetic material came from space (such as a meteor) and assist evolution on Earth.

#3 is the most exciting possibility. Did evolution happen in multiple locations in the universe and converge here on Earth?

seeding.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: OCguy
Originally posted by: Phokus
its a trick of the devil. The world is only 10,000 years old!

Republicans.txt

Are you saying only Republicans believe in creationism?

You need to travel more.

The repubs are our version of the taliban. YAY!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Frankly, I?d like to believe we were created. Cause if it?s just us then there?s no intelligent life in the universe.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Frankly, I?d like to believe we were created. Cause if it?s just us then there?s no intelligent life in the universe.

you can like to believe whatever you want :)

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

you can like to believe whatever you want :)

Man... the animal kingdom cheated us, we're too smart.

So we build A.I. and destroy ourselves? Some distant world out there will send it's robots out to come and get us if we decide to warp back to the stone age days if Y2K #2 doesn't take effect 2010.

We're screwed either way.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The religious right decided to chime in.

Apparently they weren't too thrilled about Google displaying Satan's monkey on their home page.

Don't ultra-right-wing Christians realize they're dinosaurs? Going extinct soon, I hope.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Apparently they weren't too thrilled about Google displaying Satan's monkey on their home page.

Don't ultra-right-wing Christians realize they're dinosaurs? Going extinct soon, I hope.

LOL I am ashamed to even live in the same country as these people. NOOO SCIENCE.....IT BURRRRNNNNSSS!!!!

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Originally posted by: Zeppelin2282

LOL I am ashamed to even live in the same country as these people. NOOO SCIENCE.....IT BURRRRNNNNSSS!!!!

Zeppelin, this is an international rather than a unilateral problem; however I doubt you will find solace in the fact that you cannot escape these cretins by getting on a plane.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I tend to not to get too excited about scientific discoveries that get alot of media attention. Good science takes time and needs to be reviewed and reproduced.

They have been working on this for two years so there maybe something here.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Im still waiting for proof of 'intelligent life'.
Self serving, we're no better than ants.
Then factor in the alien anal probe.
And thus here we are.
You really think GOD would create anything this stupid as humans.
Yep.. its was the horny aliens that brought us all here.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Why on earth do you even go there? If you don't like them (and I don't agree with them either) why bother?

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
Originally posted by: 0marTheZealot

my god, it's like a train wreck. You know it's horrible, but you can't turn your head away from it.

holy shit, there's actually a forum called "rapture ready". This is nuts.