Missing data/folder after files transfer

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Hey,

Here's the situation.

Yesterday I finally managed to finish my HDD upgrade (going from IDE interface to SATA). It's now working fine, and I have two brand new HDD's, that's cool.

There's one thing though ...

After I finished installing them, I re-installed the two old IDE Drives, one by one separately, so I could move the data I wanted from them onto my new SATA Drives. So I took all the wanted data from the first IDE Drive, and after that I verified if the remaining amount of used space corresponded to the unwanted files that were still on it. And for the first IDE Drive it was alright, it was corresponding.

Then, the second IDE Drive, I installed it, and did the same thing, I took all the files on it, since it was previously my back-up drive, so I needed everything single files that were present on it. So I copy and pasted them over to the new SATA Drive. But then I realized something ...

After I re-organized the whole thing on my new SATA Drive I noticed fast enough that one particular folder was missing, a 3.5GB folder containing very important files (of course, it's back-up stuff as mentioned above). However I can't find it on my IDE Drive. When I double click the IDE Drive there is nothing, it's a blank page as if there was nothing left on it ... BUT ... when I check that Drive's Properties, it clearly shows that there is STILL around 3.6GB used on that Drive, but there's nothing showing !

So that MUST be my missing folder, I don't see what else it could be.

Then to try and find it I made it so the hidden files would show up, because maybe I hid it on my previous Windows installation, but, honestly I just can't remember. I usually don't hide anything. However there must be a reason why it doesn't show up. So anyways ... I check "Show Hidden Files", click apply, and well ... there's still nothing.

What could be wrong ?

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
if you're using windows explorer goto tools - folder options - view, click on view hidden files and folders, and show system files. (just in case). then try looking again.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I did that and nothing shows.

Also, I've tried to look at the HDD's data status with Diskeeper 2008, and it clearly shows that 1) There is a page file on that Disk and 2) There ARE files on it too, not just a page file (it shows blue areas scattered around on the whole drive's total available space, which means "files are there" and healthy, no errors.

I just don't get it.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
you're going to need to try running an undelete on it and see if it can recover anything. you have a 50/50 chance of getting some of the data back.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
EDIT:

Ok, never mind about asking what was chkdsk, I figured out.

Here is what it says after check disk is done (as a reference, that's for a 40GB Drive):

39053983 Kb total available space.
4318516 Kb in 145 files.
1616 Kb in 64 index.
0 Kb in erroneous sectors.
116335 Kb used by the system.
65536 Kb used by the journal folder.
34617516 Kb of available space.

Basically, it confirms that my 145 files are still there and that there are no errors on the Disk.

Also, any suggestions for a good undelete/file-recovery software ?

Thanks guys.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Ok guys I found a software called EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard, absolutely free and very easy to use. It was able to recover all my files, they were indeed out of "normal" reach, so only such a software could get them back. I'm quite happy hehe, that saved me lots of time and stress.

Thanks for your help and time everyone, this case is now closed.