Discussion Miso Paste from South River Miso.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So last night I decided to try some Miso as I never eaten any before. And I found this Company here:
http://www.southrivermiso.com
Anyone brought this brand before, and did you enjoy this brand? What kinds did you get?

I'm considering getting the Azuki Miso paste as well as the barley along with Dandelion Leek. Maybe I will also get the Sweet White in addiction to the first three.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Miso gets old to me fairly fast. I like it, but there isn't a whole lot to it. I get whatever at Wegmans on occasion. I like it with lots of Tabasco.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Miso gets old to me fairly fast. I like it, but there isn't a whole lot to it. I get whatever at Wegmans on occasion. I like it with lots of Tabasco.
Is that with every kind of Miso? How did you use it?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I just make it like a plain broth soup. You can add stuff if you like(probably the best way), but that's too much like work. I don't know much about it. I've gotten various instant powders, organic pastes, and EasyMiso in a plastic bottle. They all have their place, and are all good in their own way.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I just make it like a plain broth soup. You can add stuff if you like(probably the best way), but that's too much like work. I don't know much about it. I've gotten various instant powders, organic pastes, and EasyMiso in a plastic bottle. They all have their place, and are all good in their own way.
So do you then use the broth to make other dishes, or only drink this?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I only drink it. It's basically a soup base. Maybe the Japanese do other stuff with it, but I don't.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I only drink it. It's basically a soup base. Maybe the Japanese do other stuff with it, but I don't.
Why not? I'm sure any dishes you create using this will be delicious depend on what else you mix in.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Miso isn't one of those things where one brand is sooooooo much better than all the other, it's very samey given that it's just rotten soybeans - compare to, say, cheese, where the aging process is a major contributor to the final result's taste and texture. Just shop until you find the one you like a little bit better than the others and stick with that one.

I like this one:
Hikari-Shiro-Miso-Paste-White.jpg

I find that white miso tastes better than darker ones. YMMV.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Sadly black cod price shot through the roof.

For misoshiru you need dashi as base. Miso is not the base.

Add miso paste, seaweed, thinly sliced scallion, bonito shavings, and diced tofu.

I buy Japanese import miso. I don't use a lot of it so the price diff doesn't matter much.

Last edited: