Miracle on the Hudson movie?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Considering what a pilot makes these day, and his financial hardship was brought up in the movie, I'd go for the celebrity thing too.
Pilot, $35.000. Celebrity, 1 mill +.
Pilot? Celebrity? Pilot? Celebrity?
$35,000? 1 mill? $35,000. 1 mill?
Hmmmm.

However, the film was very good.
And informative.
I have no doubt the airline and the cost of one plane was weighted against the risking of 155 lives. Most airlines would have opted for the risk. And let their lawyers handle whatever the human loss.

I think with him being a Captain and his years of excellent service he was doing better than $35K/year. He did go to a congressional meeting though and testify that those getting into the industry now make pitifully low wages. At that time I was getting paid $18/hr to pilot a forklift, $3/hr more than a pilot flying the connecting "puddle-jumpers" we're making. That's just wrong, the level of responsibility and training needed to fly passengers should make you a decent income but fuck, who need's unions, right?.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
So a fireman saving lives is just doing their normal job. I guess at your job I hope you don't get any extra incentives on bonus for doing your job either because you're not doing anything special.

Why would I get a bonus for doing my job?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
So uh has anyone seen this?

I was about to watch it in IMAX but AMC wants $23/ticket for it, so I'm not watching it in IMAX

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I saw it Saturday afternoon and I thought it was pretty good. If you spend the money and aren't happy... Well, you can go fuck yourself. :)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
watched it last night, was surprisingly suspenseful. 90 minutes was the right length.

8/10

Would have liked to have seen some of those scenes in IMAX, but not worth the 110% price increase for me.

ladyjd

May 17, 2006
I saw it. Pretty good as it went into the investigation part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Even if it is focused on the FAA investigation...who cares? I still can't quite put into words why I believe it does not make sense for this to be a movie, but I feel strongly about it nonetheless.

Same goes for 'Deepwater Horizon.' A documentary on the impact on the Gulf? Sure, no problem. A fucking Mark Wahlberg Lone Survivor remake in the ocean? Are you for real?

Its best not thinking about leading actors as individuals you can relate to. They are just part of a story.If you don't like story telling, well that is indeed something nobody cares about because most people do like stories. I saw this film and its a good story especially about our "hero" Sully.

DH as a documentary ? How many cameras caught the action ? There's nothing to show now , not even a hole in the water (lol).

We can never have 1924 again when Buster Keaton was working hard and no one cared who he was.

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
the article writer seems to be mad that Eastwood made a movie, and not a documentary.

Actually the article writer recognized the dramatization is necessary when making a movie:

"But does Sully’s portrayal of NTSB investigators as bullying incompetents matter? After all, whenever a movie based on true events is released, there are always cries of “it didn’t happen that way!” This occurs because of the inevitable changes required when dramatizing real-life events. These include creating composite characters, eliding side issues and compressing chronologies.

In evaluating such storytelling decisions, what’s important is whether or not the top-line takeaway is fair. For example, despite considerable fictionalization in
The Imitation Game, viewers come away with the correct impression that Alan Turing was a computing pioneer, who was persecuted for his homosexuality and made major cryptographic contributions to defeating the Nazis.

With Sully, the film-makers were faced with a problem: how to make a feature-length movie about a six-minute flight? They took the easy way out and invented an antagonist. As a result, the takeaway is that the NTSB – as I heard one person leaving a screening say – “tried to stitch Sully up”.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
have there been any other successful water landings?

nope

39c012debfefadaee7584a09605fcde2cc546073

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I feel like this is going to start becoming a thing. Do something heroic and you'll be memorialized by Tom Hanks. i.e. Captain Phillips, Sully, he directed Band of Brothers to honor "E" company of the 506th, etc. I'm all for memorializing acts of selflessness and heroism, but I'd hate to see it become a joke and just a ploy for Hollywood to make some scratch.

Is it "heroism" when you're saving your own ass too?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Considering what a pilot makes these day, and his financial hardship was brought up in the movie, I'd go for the celebrity thing too.
Pilot, $35.000.

I can't find the US Airways pay scales anymore but since he was a Captain with a lot of senority flying an A320 he was almost certainly making over $215/hr. Airline pilots tend to get paid for around 850-950 hours a year and then theres profit sharing, international overtime etc. Its not $1M but if you make it to one of the legacy carriers the pay is decent

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/legacy/american_airlines