Miracle on the Hudson movie?

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
From the trailer it looks like a big part of the movie is what happened after the crash with the pilots being investigated/blamed for the incident. I honestly had no idea that happened until I saw the trailer. It's not like Tom Hanks makes bad movies.

Reactions: Linux23

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
I feel like this is going to start becoming a thing. Do something heroic and you'll be memorialized by Tom Hanks. i.e. Captain Phillips, Sully, he directed Band of Brothers to honor "E" company of the 506th, etc. I'm all for memorializing acts of selflessness and heroism, but I'd hate to see it become a joke and just a ploy for Hollywood to make some scratch.

Reactions: MongGrel

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I feel like this is going to start becoming a thing. Do something heroic and you'll be memorialized by Tom Hanks. i.e. Captain Phillips, Sully, he directed Band of Brothers to honor "E" company of the 506th, etc. I'm all for memorializing acts of selflessness and heroism, but I'd hate to see it become a joke and just a ploy for Hollywood to make some scratch.
You act like this is something new. There have been movies about "heros" for decades.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Not to diminish what this guy did, and I don't know the full details of what happened afterwards, but pretty sure this guy was just doing his job. I mean, he emergency landed a plane. Yes, that's amazing and cool and stuff. But if we didn't want pilots that have those special skills, joe schmoe could be a pilot and everyone would just die in an emergency situation.

I will not see this movie because there isn't a movie here to see. Hero or not.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
From the trailer it looks like a big part of the movie is what happened after the crash with the pilots being investigated/blamed for the incident. I honestly had no idea that happened until I saw the trailer. It's not like Tom Hanks makes bad movies.
That's what caught my attention. The investigation part by the FAA. Did they really expect this pilot to circle back to the airport with twin engine failure and at that altitude??? It's hard enough with single engine failure.

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
You act like this is something new. There have been movies about "heros" for decades.

No no, you missed the point, I meant specifically Tom Hanks playing the role of the middle aged white male that did whatever act, not just "hero" movies.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
No no, you missed the point, I meant specifically Tom Hanks playing the role of the middle aged white male that did whatever act, not just "hero" movies.

It will be referred to as "Jumping the Hanks"

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I dunno, 2 out of 81 movies isn't really that large of a ratio IMO.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Even if it is focused on the FAA investigation...who cares? I still can't quite put into words why I believe it does not make sense for this to be a movie, but I feel strongly about it nonetheless.

Same goes for 'Deepwater Horizon.' A documentary on the impact on the Gulf? Sure, no problem. A fucking Mark Wahlberg Lone Survivor remake in the ocean? Are you for real?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I think it looks good. I like Tom Hanks so I'll probably see this in theaters.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Dude, you might as well kill off Superman...

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Not to diminish what this guy did, and I don't know the full details of what happened afterwards, but pretty sure this guy was just doing his job. I mean, he emergency landed a plane. Yes, that's amazing and cool and stuff. But if we didn't want pilots that have those special skills, joe schmoe could be a pilot and everyone would just die in an emergency situation.

Personally, I love watching plane crash documentaries. Been watching them for years (yes, I know this isn't a documentary).

I can't wait for this movie to come out. I think it will be worthy. Everything Tom Hanks seems to touch turns to gold and I genuinely like his movies so I'll go pay my money and see it.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
That's what caught my attention. The investigation part by the FAA. Did they really expect this pilot to circle back to the airport with twin engine failure and at that altitude??? It's hard enough with single engine failure.

I think it was the Wikipedia page that said they simulated the event and had several pilots try to make it back to the runway or another airport and they were only successful like 25% of the time. IMO what's cool about what Sully did was that he immediately realized those options were too risky, even compared to ditching in the water, which is almost always a disaster.

The stall speed of that aircraft is like 150 MPH, that's how fast the plane was going when the belly hit the water. It's absolutely astonishing that it was accomplished with no fatalities and no major injuries. There is no parallel in the history of aviation.

All that said, I also don't see how this is a movie.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
From what I read its basically Clint Eastwood going crazy libertarian and turning investigators into villains for doing their job investigating a plane crash.
That and Tom Hanks Tom Hanked the crap out of the movie

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

It seems to be a Tom Hank's thing in general, to be honest.

I like several of them, add to the list Charlie Wilson's War, Bridge of Spies, Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, etc, etc.

It's not a new thing. He has made a career out of it.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Same goes for 'Deepwater Horizon.' A documentary on the impact on the Gulf? Sure, no problem. A fucking Mark Wahlberg Lone Survivor remake in the ocean? Are you for real?

I didn't even see they were making a 'Deepwater Horizon' movie. I'll pass on that in a theater, the wife still is owed money from her former boss over the cruise agency she was managing at the time went in the toilet after that one. But he filed a claim late to begin with, derp. That's irrelevant I guess.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
To have entertainment you need drama. To have drama you need conflict. So somebody has to be a bad guy to create conflict.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Can't wait to see the Deep Water movie. Who's going to be the villain in this one? :p

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
If Clint Eastwood is making it, it's probably the EPA for forcing deep water drilling by "overregulating".