Discussion Minnestoa cultivated Wild Rice.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Back a few months ago, a few days before the local Shop'Save shut it doors, I brought two 1lb bags of black wild rice for 80% off. I haven't cooked any yet, but I'am thinking about using it next time I open a can of Keystone chicken.

That was the first time I've seen any bags of Wild Rice for sale anywhere. From a brief search on the Web that stuff is pretty expensive. Not something I will buy very often.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I only like it cut with regular rice. The weird flavor is too strong when I just eat it alone.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
My mom uses an Uncle Bens brand wild rice all the time, good stuff.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I only like it cut with regular rice. The weird flavor is too strong when I just eat it alone.
Well I would be adding garlic and onions, and a can of cream of mushroom. Along with the chicken of course. :p

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Wouldn't the White rice adsorb most of the water? this is one of the reasons I quit using white rice.
Never had a problem. You let the rice soak in water for least 2-3 hours or overnight before you cook. And depending on how much wild black rice you add to the mixture, you can make the final cooked rice really dark purple or just light lavender color. You can add all kinds of different grains, beans, peas, and nuts if you want. It's really up to your imagination and what type of grains you like. Most people tend to stick with 4-5 different grains but I've seen like 14 different grains mixed in along with chestnuts.

This video by Maangchi shows you how to cook multigrain rice using 4 different grains. She uses mixture of short grain white rice, brown rice, barley, and black rice but you can pretty much use whatever you want.

Multigrain rice is really common in Korean cuisine because so many people are health conscious. At many Korean restaurants, the server will ask you if you want white or multigrain rice with your meal. Here's picture of multigrain rice I had with mandu yukgaejang soup. They added beans to the rice which is also common. Mandu yukgaejang is spicy beef brisket and vegetable soup with added dumplings. Yukgaejang tastes very similar to Hungarian goulash soup. And that's hot barley tea in the clear glass cup. I know you have fascination with barley.
H9nQLps.jpg

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So I brought a 3.11 lb corned beef brisket and a cabbage and thinking of adding some wild rice to it in my slow cooker, and maybe some lentils as well. My slow cooker is four quarts, so how much wild rice and lentils should I use? Fixing it tonight before I go to bed.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Will I just put the stuff and the Crockpot and turned it on.

Some Worcestershire sauce.
An Onion.
1/2 Cup of Wild Rice.
Half a Cabbage.
4 Cloves of Garlic.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I cooked it in my Instant Pot with some garlic, onions, spices, and soy sauce.
This tastes great, I just add a cup of wild rice to the crockpot with the leftovers earlier today and it is bit chewy but it is something I could eat instead of brown rice.

I'm not sure but I think Walmart sells this, so I could just buy this there. Will do you buy it at?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
This tastes great, I just add a cup of wild rice to the crockpot with the leftovers earlier today and it is bit chewy but it is something I could eat instead of brown rice.

I'm not sure but I think Walmart sells this, so I could just buy this there. Will do you buy it at?
A local mid/high tier grocery store.