Minimum requirements for a 3D Blu-ray playing HTPC ?

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
Hi guys ... So I'm thinking of building a HTPC (first one ever), and I need to know what components to use (CPU, etc.). As I'm limited on budget, I'd like to keep the total to a minimum. Once built, the HTPC will be connected to a JVC RS-46 via a Denon X4000.

It will ONLY be used for the following purposes:
>>> Play 1080p movies
>>> Play Blu-rays (3D and 2D)
>>> Stream 1080p movies (e.g. through PS3 Media Server) (Some light on-the-fly transcoding might also be needed occasionally)

It will NOT be used for gaming at all (I have consoles for that).

So please recommend me some specs. Also, I don't really like AMD and Radeon brands .. I prefer Intel and nVidia :)

Some questions that come to my mind:

1) Will an i3 processor be sufficient for the tasks listed above ?

2) Can the integrated Intel graphics handle 3D Blu-ray playback, or do I need a dedicated card ?

3) If I need a dedicated graphics card, what's the cheapest nVidia card I can get which can play 3D blu-rays without any problems ?

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
What software are you planning to use for playback? Several communities are reporting problems with hd4000 and powerdvd.

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
Any haswell,even the smallest celeron, is capable of 4k video playback,bluray 3d is essentialy two 1080p movies one ontop of the other witch is ~4k resolution, so just get the biggest haswell you can afford/are willing to spend the money for.

So a 4th Gen celeron or i3 would be capable of playing a Blu-ray ?

Also, would I need a graphics card for 3D Blu-ray playback ? I ask because I read some articles that say that a 3D supporting graphics card is needed for 3D Blu-ray playback ..

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
No discrete graphics card needed, but you will probably want to read up on the available motherboards since it is possible that a lower quality mobo might have hdmi ports that are not good enough for bluray.

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
No discrete graphics card needed, but you will probably want to read up on the available motherboards since it is possible that a lower quality mobo might have hdmi ports that are not good enough for bluray.

Apart from reading customer reviews, any other way to filter out such mobos ?

EDIT: Added one more task that this HTPC will be doing :: Stream 1080p videos on the local network via software like PS3 Media Server .. Some light on-the-fly transcoding might also be needed occasionally .. Will an i3 still be okay ?

Last edited:

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
You'd be hard pressed to find a current CPU that couldn't handle blu ray playback. Perhaps something like an E1-2100 couldn't. But any A4+ AMD APU, or Core i3 1st gen+ will handle it just fine.

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
Thanks guys .. So I'll be able to play 3D Blu-rays too on software such as TMT6, WITHOUT having a dedicated graphics card ?

Also, would 4GB RAM be enough, or would 8GB be more recommended ? I'll most probably we installing Windows 7 or Windows 8 on it.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Up until haswell, intel igpu's would playback 24 fps (23.976) incorrectly, and if you were annoyed by the frame drops, you really needed a discrete gpu. This appears to have been fixed.

Just one small additional note, this:
bluray 3d is essentialy two 1080p movies one ontop of the other witch is ~4k resolution
is not quite right. The usual 4k resolution (3840x2160) is actually 4x as many pixels as 1920x1080 (doubling of both width and height!), so while 3D blu-ray may actually be the equivalent of 2x 1920x1080 movies on-top of one another, that's still half the pixels of 4k.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
is not quite right. The usual 4k resolution (3840x2160) is actually 4x as many pixels as 1920x1080 (doubling of both width and height!), so while 3D blu-ray may actually be the equivalent of 2x 1920x1080 movies on-top of one another, that's still half the pixels of 4k.
You're right I got mixed up there but this should make playback even easier since haswell is capable of 4k.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Thanks guys .. So I'll be able to play 3D Blu-rays too on software such as TMT6, WITHOUT having a dedicated graphics card ?

Also, would 4GB RAM be enough, or would 8GB be more recommended ? I'll most probably we installing Windows 7 or Windows 8 on it.
4gb is fine. Whether or not you need a dedicated card depends on what Igp you have

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Any haswell,even the smallest celeron, is capable of 4k video playback,bluray 3d is essentialy two 1080p movies one ontop of the other witch is ~4k resolution, so just get the biggest haswell you can afford/are willing to spend the money for.

3D 1080p is about twice the data, but 4K is four times as much data. So 3D is much easier to do than 4K. Though if you're building a PC today, you should probably make it 4K capable anyway.

EDIT: Regarding 3D, TMT is discontinued, so it may no longer get software updates for compatibility with new Blu-Ray discs (updated keys, etc). ArcSoft has a also pulled down many of the pages regarding requirements etc. I did look on the PowerDVD requirements page, and they support driving recent Intel IGPs in stereoscopic mode.

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I would normally recommend a Pentium for HTPC duty, but if you are at all encoding I suggest an i3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but transcoding doesn't take that much CPU horsepower...?

I also agree that 4GB of RAM should suffice, if you are on a budget.

Up until haswell, intel igpu's would playback 24 fps (23.976) incorrectly

Just Sandy Bridge... or both Sandy and Ivy?

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
Okay, so the Haswell i3 processors should able to play 2D and 3D Blu-rays fluently (i.e. without any stuttering), even during those action scenes ?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
And even while doing background tasks,where with a pentium you might get stutter if the antivirus or whatever decides to do something.

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
Thanks all ...

Also, is there any specific hardware that I would need to buy in order to ensure 7.1 sound output to my AVR ? Generally all motherboards nowadays claim to have built-in 8 channel support, but I'm not sure if that's enough for a HTPC or not ..

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Is it too late to suggest just getting a dedicated Blu-Ray player?

As much as I love HTPCs, the current crop of Blu-Ray software is absolutely dreadful and not worth the trouble. You'll fight with it to get it updated for new keys practically every time you use it.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
I was thinking that too^^

Hell even a $150 PS3 will do most of what people do with a HTPC. You can stream from media servers, lots of streaming apps including amazon and you don't have to worry about blu ray playback.

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
Is it too late to suggest just getting a dedicated Blu-Ray player?

As much as I love HTPCs, the current crop of Blu-Ray software is absolutely dreadful and not worth the trouble. You'll fight with it to get it updated for new keys practically every time you use it.

I was thinking that too^^

Hell even a $150 PS3 will do most of what people do with a HTPC. You can stream from media servers, lots of streaming apps including amazon and you don't have to worry about blu ray playback.

Well, my PS3 and PS4 are region locked, and since I have a decent amount of different region steelbooks, I need a region free player .. But these aren't available readily in my locality, and importing one will cost almost as much as a HTPC .. This is why I'm thinking of investing in a HTPC rather than a standalone player ... A HTPC can also do a ton of other things that PS3/PS4 can't, like readily play MKV files, etc ..

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Thanks all ...

Also, is there any specific hardware that I would need to buy in order to ensure 7.1 sound output to my AVR ? Generally all motherboards nowadays claim to have built-in 8 channel support, but I'm not sure if that's enough for a HTPC or not ..

With an HDMI connection, you can bitstream out any codec that is on the disc.