Mini Review on the Micron 1100 SSD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Well, I finally caved and bought one as my data drive. I am currently using 4TB spinner as my data drive that is (or was) 3TB full. I spent this weekend deleting stuff I don't need anymore and moving the rest up to the NAS. I'm now below 2TB of data. I'm probably still going to have to enable NTFS compression since I would still be a tad too close to 2TB, it may have performance impact, but I don't care as it's a data drive. I would also normally prefer MLC, but unfortunately TLC SATA is the only economical way to get to 2TB of SSD goodness. Life is full of compromises.

But seriously, I was not expecting to see 2TB SSD for such a price. I hope to put it in service by the end of the week.

Kylinblue

May 3, 2018
Review:

A quick CDM test shows about the same results as others already posted.

Copy two game folders at same time from MX500 to 1100. The 1100 writes about 16GB then starts throttling down to 250-300mb/s. Temperature rises to 60C when the task is finished. I will post more later. Is there any tests you want me to perform?

When performing the test backwards (1100 to MX500) the MX500 manages to maintain 450MB/s+ till finish but the temp reached 69C. (it's a mini ITX case and there is no airflow provided to the drives)

4SlWto8.png

q30GU7b.png

Reactions: bbhaag

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Got a new HP Elitebook assigned at work, it has one of these drives in it.

The only thing I haven't been able to get from any software yet is a reading of TBW.

Jjoshua2

Mar 24, 2006
I got one of these in the mail for under 250 now. I'm hoping it's faster in 4k random access than a fast spinner and then it's good for me

SimplyComplex

Jul 4, 2009
What TLC vs MLC? It is my understanding that MLC is still greatly preferred over TLC?
When we were dealing with planar, honestly, there was very little reason to bother with TLC drives. They were maybe 10% cheaper than MLC and certainly less reliable and had vastly worse sequential write speeds. Now that we're on 3d, there basically *is* no MLC(aside from when it/SLC is used for drive cache). It's actually not that bad though, as 3d actually fixed some of the issues that existed with 2d TLC.

Basically, while 2d MLC was certainly better than 2D TLC all things being equal, in 3d that's no longer true. Even if they made 3d MLC, it wouldn't be worth any more than TLC. I believe it may actually perform worse.

Glaring_Mistake

Mar 2, 2015
When we were dealing with planar, honestly, there was very little reason to bother with TLC drives. They were maybe 10% cheaper than MLC and certainly less reliable and had vastly worse sequential write speeds. Now that we're on 3d, there basically *is* no MLC(aside from when it/SLC is used for drive cache). It's actually not that bad though, as 3d actually fixed some of the issues that existed with 2d TLC.

What drives have you seen use MLC as a drive cache instead of SLC?
And while use of MLC has certainly dropped we still have Samsung's 64-layer 3D MLC NAND and 3D MLC NAND from Intel/Micron's first gen is also used in some drives.
It's probably only a matter of time though until it's been pretty much entirely replaced.

Basically, while 2d MLC was certainly better than 2D TLC all things being equal, in 3d that's no longer true. Even if they made 3d MLC, it wouldn't be worth any more than TLC. I believe it may actually perform worse.

I think 3D MLC still has the advantage (if we're comparing MLC to TLC and not MLC to SLC) most notably seen with sequential writes or during more demanding workloads.
For example the 850 Pro 128GB has about three times higher sequential write speeds than the 850 EVO 120GB does.