Question Mini-itx "server" board

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I'm looking for a mini-itx server board and haven't found one suiting my needs.

- mini-itx
- 1 m2 slot
- IPMI / out of band managment
- 2.5 gbe ethernet (more is fine as well but don't need it)

My current favorite is:

Supermicro X11SCL-IF

- but it's an outdated platform (LGA 1151 xeons) and no 2.5 ethernet.

I didn't find a comparable board to this one for LGA1200 with >=2.5 ethernet. (plus a 6-core comet lake is cheaper than a coffe-lake 6-core). They all seem to be at least mATX.

ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T

Reviews are pretty bad for this. No active cooling on x570 leading to system issues or crashes and the socket requires socket-1156 cooler (not AM4) and due to the integrated backplate result in a list of bascially 2 options which are unacceptable. So on reddit a user claims the backplate can be removed and then with the proper noctua kit and noctua cooler can be used. Still doesn't solve the x570 cooling issue (cooling going to be an issue on mini-itx). IPMI according to reviews is also buggy.
On top of all this, this cost $550 here (no joke) vs $200 for the supermicro board.

Hence does anyone know of a board that would suit my purposes?

legolas_tk

Apr 16, 2008
I might recommend the ASUS P11C-I which is miniITX with 1GbE NIC with optional IPMI (ASMB9-iKVM). It supports up to Intel® Xeon® processor E-2200 family. It is comparative with Supermicro X11SCL-IF.

I heard that this board has high density mini-SAS port is a great space saver for drive cabling and it has M.2.
I researched around, most NIC for workstation is 1GbE NIC.

Last edited:

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
I am running an AsrockRack X470DU4 for 6 months now and I haven't seen any big issues with either the board nor IPMI implementation. It's hosting a Proxmox node and it has been stable so far, with ECC RAM I tested up to 20 days in a row uptime no issues (I usually turn off the server when I am not really using it).

It's hard to find ITX LGA1200 boards with IPMI right now, Asrock has one mATX and I think you might be better getting a compact mATX case and this board then if you really want to avoid the X570D4I.