Mini-itx motherboards with nvme support?

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Are there any ones out there for socket 1151 with an m.2 nvme as boot support?

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
You may need to go mini-STX ("5x5") for this. I've been Amazon-searching "z170 mini itx" and not finding anything that supports NGFF 2280 modules yet; however, if you have the case room for it, a low-profile riser that plugs into the PCIe slot will work.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
You may need to go mini-STX ("5x5") for this. I've been Amazon-searching "z170 mini itx" and not finding anything that supports NGFF 2280 modules yet; however, if you have the case room for it, a low-profile riser that plugs into the PCIe slot will work.

Yeah for new build I want to go with smallest possible case so I can set it on my desk. I have found plenty of mini-itx cases that are small and fit a full size PSU, gtx 1070, and corsair h100i no problem but none of the motherboards seem to support m.2 pci-e x4 with nvme boot. I found plenty that do in matx but that case size seems to be getting scarce as of late.

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
Whew. Good to hear because I've got that motherboard on order.

Still not sure whether to get the Samsung 950 Pro now, or wait to see if prices drop and/or a competing model is released for a lower price. I'm inclined to NOT wait because it's going to be a tiny ITX build and to install an M.2 on that mobo later requires (almost?) complete disassembly of the system.

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Whew. Good to hear because I've got that motherboard on order.

Still not sure whether to get the Samsung 950 Pro now, or wait to see if prices drop and/or a competing model is released for a lower price. I'm inclined to NOT wait because it's going to be a tiny ITX build and to install an M.2 on that mobo later requires (almost?) complete disassembly of the system.

Pretty much on disassembly to get to the M2... it is on the bottom of the motherboard.

I opted for the Samsung 950 Pro because all of the research I did said it was most likely to NOT have compatibility issues. There was an Intel one that I could have gotten significantly cheaper but it sounded like it was hit and miss on ability to boot.

Good luck on the build.