Mini-ITX Build Advice

TigCobra

Dec 17, 2010
Hey guys looking for recommendations on a few things.

I recently acquired an A8-5600k 100w Quad Core APU, and looking to do a mini-itx build around it, do you guys have any recommendations of power supply and heat sink for this build? I really want to pair it with a Radeon to maximize graphics capability for some light gaming, but mainly using it as blu-ray player.

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
I've been looking for something similar and the Silverstone SG05/SG06 with 450w bronze power supply still looks like the only reasonable option.

Apr 21, 2012
I guess the PSU and heat sink will depend on the case you choose, and if you want to overclock. Silverstone has a new ML05 ITX case coming out soon which would fit the Sapphire LP HD6670 GDDR5 card and you could use Silverstones 400W mATX power supply. I think something like a Cooler Master GeminiiM4 cpu cooler would fit in there but idk what all its compatible with.

Lewy

Aug 22, 2001
I used a Cooler Master Elite 120. It takes a standard ATX PS and has mounting for several HD's as well as a standard size BD or DVD drive. It's not expensive ($40-$50) and looks nice in my audio cabinet. There are building instructions on U-tube. It took me less than 2 hours for the hardware install. You can find it all over the net, including Amazon, with good reviews and prices. I love mine, came with two pretty quiet fans too. so Also like the fact that it allows me to install a full size video or sound card .

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Some of the silverstone cases are reissued without power supplies so you can add the one you want. The more watts the power supply has the more wires you dont know where to put. I suppose you could go modular.

pcmax

Jun 17, 2001
I used a Cooler Master Elite 120. It takes a standard ATX PS and has mounting for several HD's as well as a standard size BD or DVD drive. It's not expensive ($40-$50) and looks nice in my audio cabinet. There are building instructions on U-tube. It took me less than 2 hours for the hardware install. You can find it all over the net, including Amazon, with good reviews and prices. I love mine, came with two pretty quiet fans too. so Also like the fact that it allows me to install a full size video or sound card .

I second the Elite 120. It's not the smallest mini ITX case so check the dimensions for your needs but is easy to put together, takes standard full size parts other than the motherboard. Running a 3770k and an HD 7770, play mostly racing games at 1080p perfectly. I use it on 55" 3D TV and purchased Total Media Theater 5 which plays back 3D movies better than my standalone 3D blu-ray player.

tkivisto

Sep 24, 2012
I have a 7750 in a small form-factor HTPC and it's great because it doesn't need supplemental power (so draws less than 75W) and it's fairly quiet single-slot too.

It's almost too bad you went with the 100W processor for a mini-itx HTPC. It's a good valued CPU but it's a lot more power than really is needed (so more heat to dissipate and more power to feed from PSU). I use a 55W i3 and it covers my needs for light gaming and definitely for blu-ray/web-surfing. I used the stock HSF from Intel and it's quiet enough when not taxed too hard. Maybe the stock AMD one is quiet enough for you?

If you have a limited budget, I'd say buy the case you really like the looks of (and features of) with a reliable brand of PSU first...and then worry about the HSF afterwards if it's too loud for your preference.