Minecraft is running poorly on my PC

Cale Lewis

Oct 15, 2016
Hello everyone. I just finished a PC build and fired up Minecraft for the first and it is pretty much unplayable. it stutters and there are screen tears when you look around and the game will stutter and freeze for a second or two when you try to move. And I'm not talking frame rate drops, I mean the game stops doing anything.

Th PC build is:

• Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor

• ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

• G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

• Radeon HD 6500
So far I have tried:

• lowering in game settings like draw distance to 2 chunks, clouds, shadows, gradient lighting off, graphics set to fast and so on.

• turned VBOs on and off while trying various settings.

• I have allocated 4 gb of ram to Minecraft.

• made sure java 64 bit is installed and up to date.

• Updated my video card drivers.
The server I am playing on is hosted from my other, older PC, which runs with no issues. The server is rather large at this point but there were no other players and after allowing time for it to load, the game still played poorly. I also played single player with the same results.

Anyone with another idea please, I am out of ideas and beginning to regret building a PC if it cannot handle this.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
That card is just old and was an entry level card when released. Get a better video card.

I run a minecraft server myself and in my home I have three computers that play Minecraft. The older PC has a 8800GT 512mb card (which is even older than yours but maybe more powerful?) in it and it plays minecraft well but even that card struggles from time to time. Maybe your card can do it but I don't know. Looking at it online I think it will struggle with a lot of games.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
From what I've read, video card plays a very small role with Minecraft. The most important thing is single-core processing speed - the faster the better.

Cale Lewis

Oct 15, 2016
I actually got another video card from a friend but can't use it from of outputs from my power supply. I did check my other pc and it runs an identical video card.

The main difference is my processor, this is a comparison between the two http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2634&cmp[]=869
but on the new PC it doesn't slow down any processes or even use up a lot of the CPU

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I second the video card. It was slow 5 years ago when it came out, and a current game, even something like Minecraft, is going to require beyond that card's capabitilies.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Interesting. Might want to check game video setup then compared to the other machine. What is your CPU load like when running Minecraft?

And a stupid questions but I am going to ask anyway: are you sure the game is running on your AMD card and not the Intel HD 510?

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Yeah I hear you. You said you built this PC? Did you fully update windows? Install all of the drivers? Including bios and chipset drivers?

Cale Lewis

Oct 15, 2016
The CPU load with minecraft goes as high as 50% and when it freezes goes as low as 20% but usaually sits around 30%. I though that maybe it wasn't using the video card either but I double checked and it is.

Drivers and everything are up to date, not sure about windows though.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
when it freezes goes as low as 20% but usaually sits around 30%.
This usually happens when the game has to load in new data,how much vram does your GPU have?
It might also be due to a very old,or even failing, HDD.
Since your PSU doesn't have a 6pin for a GPU it might also be too old or failing,it might not provide enough power or loose connection to your drive making windows wait for it to reconnect.
Also new os installations search your drive for files that can be updated which can cause pretty big slowdowns,especially with old drives.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
From Mojang -
  • Please note that some users experience issues playing Minecraft while using a mismatched version of Java for their operating system (32 or 64 bit), while using certain versions of Java 7, or while multiple versions of Java are installed
Deleting all but one version might help, if more than one is present. Have you checked system temps? It is a new build so I would make certain the cpu cooler is properly attached and seated, and all fans are plugged in and running.

The hardware you have is capable of running the game. That makes the usual suspects - faulty hardware, software issues, power, or heat.

Cale Lewis

Oct 15, 2016
we let minecraft sit for about half an hour with no improvements. The card is 1GB and the power supply is brand new just a inexpensive one.
I have been doing updates and checking for things that need updating lately hoping that is the issue.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Raidmax 380W ATX Power Supply

is the power supply we are using
are you certain that is the one? If so I think you have your culprit. It is cheaply made psu, and an old standard not even listed as Haswell compatible. You used an adapter for the 8 pin 12v connector? Send that thing back and buy a modern standard psu. I have used this model for many budget builds and all are still in service http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438040&Tpk=N82E16817438040

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It just plugged right in out of the box, no adapter needed
The psu you linked has a 20 pin connector and requires one of the 4 pins for 24 pin boards. It also states it has only 2 4 pin 12v connectors total. If you plugged both 4 pins into the 8 pin then you left empty pins on the main 24 pin connector? We are either looking at a different psu or you have power connectors empty which could explain your problems.

Cale Lewis

Oct 15, 2016
just looked in the PC and it has a 24 pin main connector but only 1 4 pin connector plugged in to the 12v power connector. Is there an adapter I can try or do I need a new PSU. Not sure why I did not notice that before, or any of the two "professionals" i had look at it for that matter.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
just looked in the PC and it has a 24 pin main connector but only 1 4 pin connector plugged in to the 12v power connector. Is there an adapter I can try or do I need a new PSU. Not sure why I did not notice that before, or any of the two "professionals" i had look at it for that matter.
You can try an adapter, but I recommend against it. Low 12v rating and poor quality unit to begin with. Return it, if possible, and buy a new standard psu. Like the one I linked, or any other good inexpensive model. I am about to walk out the door but hopefully someone else can recommend another psu.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
PSUs aren't even that expensive for a decent one. I skimped on a PSU with my current build six years ago and I paid the price after three years.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A Raidmax Power Supply will not last long. Read reviews anywhere on those. The issue is not if they will fail, but when. Whether or not they are causing your issue, there are plenty of Antec, Cooler Master, and Corsair power supplies that can be had for for what I concider a decent price.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
make sure your java libraries are up to date. i had this issue before and i updated java and it solved my performance issues.