Minecraft 1.7.2 biomes, wow, what if?

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Kind of excited by this newest Minecraft release, even though it broke a lot of my mods and resource packs.

So, I paid next to nothing for Minecraft a long time ago and love the singleplayer, even though I usually end up cheating and giving myself a supply of diamonds for armor and tools. I do have one pure world that I have never gone to peaceful mode or creative for the inventory boost.

I have always dreamed of a minecraft server that did not allow any /give or inventory hacks in that you were 100% WYSIWYG world. It would probably not work considering attrition and griefing, but I think we are hopefully getting closer to a more streamlined MMO-like experience in Minecraft. The biome additions make it more possible for a regional populous to exist as long as cave boundaries are followed.

Fixed map sizes seem like a bad idea at first, but what if there were a way to combine a central public area linked to multiple private areas, either clan or guild or whatever it would be defined.

Depending on the following this could be a really cool server or a veritable ghost town.

Anyone have thoughts on this or how are the two mostly quiet AT MC servers dealing with this huge update?

If I was in a more financially secure state I would quickly volunteer server space in my image, but for now I just have the idea.

Mar 10, 2005
I have always dreamed of a minecraft server that did not allow any /give or inventory hacks in that you were 100% WYSIWYG world.

in multiplayer, i would only consider 100% legit survival, hard difficulty. i'm especially interested by that combined with /gamerule naturalRegeneration false.

It would probably not work considering attrition and griefing

whitelisting is a must

getting closer to a more streamlined MMO-like experience in Minecraft

minecraft realms (haven't played it, but it looks ok)

Fixed map sizes seem like a bad idea at first, but what if there were a way to combine a central public area linked to multiple private areas, either clan or guild or whatever it would be defined.

i don't really see the point of that in general use. you're just asking for either monster lag or a ghost town.

there are a few showcase servers that use command blocks to warp you from the hub to other zones/machines. http://www.keralis.net/creative is definitely worth a look.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
other then some more textures and some mathmatical changes, nothings changed. They need to just stop and work on minecraft 2.... My opinoin :\

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
other then some more textures and some mathmatical changes, nothings changed. They need to just stop and work on minecraft 2.... My opinoin :\
uh huh...

• New world generation!
    • Double the amount of biomes, with new trees/flowers/blocks.
    • New “Amplified” world option.
    • Less ocean, more awesome.
  • New blocks!
    • Two new types of wood.
    • Stained glass! With both blocks and panes.
    • Packed ice, red sand, podzol.
    • Lots of new flowers, including double-tall versions of current plants.
    • Portals can be bigger sizes!
  • Fishing!
    • Added more type of fish.
    • Redone the fishing mechanics. Can now catch junk and treasure too.
    • Fishing rod enchantments!
  • Maps!
    • Put them in an item frame and hang them on your wall. They’re extra big!
    • Lots of new colours for lots of blocks!
    • Now with less lag!
  • Achievement & Statistics overhaul!
    • Now both world (or server) specific.
    • In multiplayer, it’s announced to everybody when you get an achievement.
      • You can move your mouse over this in the chat to see what it was!
    • Some new achievements and statistic types were added.
    • Zoomable achievements screen!
  • Multiplayer enhancements!
    • Servers can now put a 64×64 image called “server-icon.png” in their folder, that you will see on your server list.
    • You can see who’s online before joining a server; move your mouse over the player count!
    • Lots of hidden preparation for allowing name changes.
  • Resource pack changes!
    • You can now have multiple selected.
    • They can completely re-do your sounds, adding new ones or changing current ones.
    • Servers can now recommend a resource pack for you to use.
  • Chat & command improvements!
    • New commands to spawn mobs or blocks of any type.
    • Command block minecart!
    • Clickable links to achievements and items.
    • Click on somebody’s name in the chat to message them!
  • Lots and lots of technical work!
    • Completely rewrote how the network (multiplayer) works.
    • Completely rewrote the sound manager.
    • New graphics options.
    • Basic shader support testing.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
To be fair most of what is different has been around in a few mods for a long time as they have dozens of different biomes and tons of different resources.

But for actual popular servers there are many that don't give stuff to people and make them work for it
other then a central city the owners set up before the server is open.

Most do refresh the resources in parts as without you would run out of resources after time especially when a server restricts the map size with limits as is needed at times.

Especially if the server runs mods with quarries.

As for griefing that's where protection works so only certain people can build in the areas or remove blocks and private chests.

Last edited:

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
@OP

It will be a good long while before mods start coming out for 1.7. This minecraft version changed a lot of stuff under the hood. I've heard it makes updating for 1.3 look like a cake walk.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
@OP

It will be a good long while before mods start coming out for 1.7. This minecraft version changed a lot of stuff under the hood. I've heard it makes updating for 1.3 look like a cake walk.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I gave up on the multiplayer game too quickly, and I am apparently really bad at the game because I usually play on Peaceful dif because I am more interested on building and gathering more than the mobs, especially now that the skelly archers are brutal. I guess I am not really the best player in that sense, and it is such a multi-faceted game with so many ways to play it.

Not sure when you first picked up this game, but I am ecstatic they are still working on a game I paid ~$9 for a couple years ago. Yeah they could have went the usual route and capitalized on popularity to push a sequel or pay-for DLC. Compared to when I picked this game up, they have more than made up a sequel's worth of content, and I only had to deal with the minor inconvenience of finding mods/texture packs that were compatible.

I see where you are coming from though, as there must be more gamers like you than me, judging by the various continuations of game series we have now.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I only play IndustrialCraft so, meh; 1.6.2 is where it's at.

It's not Minecraft if you don't have a diamon mining drill, chainsaw, jumppack and quantum armor.

Mar 10, 2005

sounds like you'd be happier if they did the same thing, but add a number on the end and charge full price over and over.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
i don't need quantum armor to fend of a zombie armed with a shovel

So you seem like a more legit player than myself on the combat side. What is your fool-proof strategy for the skeleton archers, because they decimated me to the point of despawning them to my more laid back "I'll build a good fortress and then let them spawn" and never get around to doing that by moving on to another construct project.

I agree I have been pretty bad about finding the right server, but I guess I never felt drawn into one, not to mention I would add a few and then a couple months would go by and they were gone.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
So you seem like a more legit player than myself on the combat side. What is your fool-proof strategy for the skeleton archers, because they decimated me to the point of despawning them to my more laid back "I'll build a good fortress and then let them spawn" and never get around to doing that by moving on to another construct project.

Always have full iron armor on (or diamond). Carry a bow around, so you can attack them at range. If you're in a cave, make use of corners/cover and stuff. They'll generally path really close to you so you can hit them a couple times before they can land another shot on you. It helps to have a diamond sword handy (or even better, an enchanted diamond sword) for these situations. Also, carry around a stack of dirt and build a quick makeshift cover area, even two blocks stacked on top of each other can offer some good protection. Block with your sword too, by holding down the right mouse button, to cut the incoming damage in half, if you know you're going to get hit and can't avoid it. This is particularly useful for nearby creeper explosions.

I only play on hard, and they can be a total pain in the butt, but I like that it's challenging. It got too easy on normal, and hard actually requires me to be careful somewhat, especially when exploring caves and such. I like that I have to take my time a little and can't just be totally reckless and always come out on top.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
Always have full iron armor on (or diamond). Carry a bow around, so you can attack them at range. If you're in a cave, make use of corners/cover and stuff. They'll generally path really close to you so you can hit them a couple times before they can land another shot on you. It helps to have a diamond sword handy (or even better, an enchanted diamond sword) for these situations. Also, carry around a stack of dirt and build a quick makeshift cover area, even two blocks stacked on top of each other can offer some good protection. Block with your sword too, by holding down the right mouse button, to cut the incoming damage in half, if you know you're going to get hit and can't avoid it. This is particularly useful for nearby creeper explosions.

I only play on hard, and they can be a totally pain in the butt, but I like that it's challenging. It got too easy on normal, and hard actually requires me to be careful somewhat, especially when exploring caves and such. I like that I have to take my time a little and can't just be totally reckless and always come out on top.

:thumbsup: shoot, move, shoot, move. it's a mistake to try to close the distance, especially if he has an enchanted bow. if you bump into a skeleton by surprise, a couple quick hacks should take him out.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well, i play hardcore, and haven't died in years; last time i died it was because (like an idiot) i was fighting the ender dragon, was on top of an obsidian tower, and i shot the crystal, which exploaded in ma'face.

dead.

world deleted.

minecraft is just too easy and generous, mobs are stupid, and you have way too many hp / armor / regen. dying is really hard, unless you fall in lava and don't have a water bucket, i don't see how it can happen.