Milwaukee M12 Heated Jacket - $119 + ship (M, L, XL, XXL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
NOTE: $119 does NOT include a battery or charger. The $169 model includes a battery and 30-minute quick charger. Separately, a standard battery is $35, extended is $70, and charger is $70 ($70 for wall charger, or $70 for wall/car charger). Much cheaper to buy the $169 model plus an inverter if you need one, if you don't already have Milwaukee M12 batteries.

UPDATE: My review a few posts down: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31000175&postcount=11

From Home Depot Online. Free shipping on orders over $249. Shipping for me was $7 to $14 depending on 3-5 day, 2-day, or 1-day, plus tax (I'm in CT). A few sizes are backordered, but the price is still valid. Usually $169; currently $131 for most sizes on Amazon but backordered 3-8 weeks. Max 6-hour battery life. Soft-shell jacket - water/wind resistant. Click here for the product homepage. Good reviews. Tip for ordering - get one size larger than you normally get, i.e. if you wear a large T-shirt, buy an Extra large jacket to go over your shirt and give you more room.

Medium: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Large: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Extra large: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=202556542

Double Extra Large: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=202556543

Sample pictures:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4

Reviews:

Extreme How To Blog
Amazon

Last edited:

Basilisk

Sep 15, 2000
Note: I was surprised to see that the XL size is cheaper for me through Amazon ($132), as HD's shipping and taxes exceeded the price differential.

This is too tempting... man, that January CC payoff is going to hurt!!

Edit: DO read the first review the OP cites! :)

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
no batts. Not hot!

One of the Gizmodo commenters said that it doesn't come with a charger - you need an M12 charger. I already ordered mine, so I'll see what's in the box on Christmas. Might have to make a Home Depot run :p

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Note: I was surprised to see that the XL size is cheaper for me through Amazon ($132), as HD's shipping and taxes exceeded the price differential.

This is too tempting... man, that January CC payoff is going to hurt!!

Edit: DO read the first review the OP cites! :)

I'm still hunting for some good heated gloves - they all have pretty dismal reviews. My hands get pretty cold - I'd take heated gloves over a heated jacket any day!

goobee

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
goobee.org
I'm still hunting for some good heated gloves - they all have pretty dismal reviews. My hands get pretty cold - I'd take heated gloves over a heated jacket any day!

You got that right. Your hands and feet are farthest from your heart so it's tough to get them warm again once they get cold. :eek:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Milwaukee electric heated jacket review:

I received the jacket. Here are my thoughts:

1. It's very bright red. I don't like to wear clothes to draw attention to myself, so it's a little bright for me. No one really seemed to notice that in person though, so that's just me having social anxiety, lol. It's a very sharp jacket though and looks really good.

2. The activator button is cool - it's like a Star Trek chest communicator. Press & hold for a few seconds to active, then choose between low, medium, and high.

3. The button glows when the jacket is on, which I think is cool, but also a little embarrassing. It's a fairly bright glow - white, blue, and red depending on the heat level. I got a few funny looks when I was wandering around in public with it. On the flip side, I kind of feel like Ironman with the glowing chest widget :D

4. The battery is surprisingly non-intrusive. It uses a small power tool battery (the M12), which plugs into a cord in a pouch on the rear left side of the jacket. It's fairly large for a jacket battery (that sounds absurd), but hasn't bothered me like I thought it would due to the weight/size.

5. It requires pre-heat time - 10 or 15 minutes to really warm up. It's just like an electric blanket. So it's not like you turn it on and it's instantly warm, it takes a few minutes to warm up. You also get used to the heat fairly quickly, which is what I found to be the same case with electric blankets - it's not like standing under a hot shower and you stay hot and toasty, you just kind of warm up to a point and then you feel more or less normal or room temperature instead of hot. I guess that's actually a nice feature because then you don't stay hot and start sweating.

6. The coils are on your chest and back - left chest, right chest, upper/mid back. If you put your hands in the pockets, they are somewhat warm but not hot. I got a size larger than I am and noticed it was hotter if I was sitting in a chair with the jacket pressing against me; so if you got one that was a tight fit, I think you would toast up faster because it was making flush contact with your body.

There are no coils on the arms or the bottom of the jacket. However, this did not bother me - if your chest area is warm, it seems to keep the rest of you warm. Only my hands were cold, but I have gloves for that. I was surprised at that - I thought that would be a negative, having no heat in the arms, but it was fine.

7. The standard battery is $35 and the extended is $70. I didn't want to pay $70 but now I wish I had, since the stock battery only lasts maybe an hour or two at maximum heat. Fortunately they sell a combo wall/car charger for it, so you can plug the battery into your car to charge. You can't be wired into the wall or 12V plug directly though. They advertised up to 6 hours of heat, but I'd imagine that's on the low setting and probably with the extended battery. Stupid expensive batteries.

The combo wall/car charger was like $70 at Home Depot, so it was $120 for the jacket, $40 for the battery ($35 at Amazon, $39 at Home Depot), and $70 for the wall/car charger (make sure you get that one! Home Depot sells just the wall charger for $70, so you can get the car adapter for the same price), so the total was $230 for the jacket when bought separately. Wow, that sounds horrifically expensive. At least I can use the charger/battery on some power tools! :awe: And a good quality jacket goes for about $100 anyway, so an extra $20 or so for electronic capabilities isn't bad, at least not too bad if you're using Milwaukee power tools too.

They sell the set for $170 on Amazon, which includes the jacket, a battery, and a quick charger (you can buy an inverter on your own). I wish I had done that, but I had the jacket shipped to my in-laws and bought the batteries in a store, and since I don't have a better winter jacket right now I'm just going to eat the cost. Ah well.

8. The jacket is thin but surprisingly warm on it's own. If it was like zero degrees outside and you had it pre-heated, you wouldn't need a huge winter jacket - just some good gloves to go with it. I really like that because you don't have to lug around a big, bulky jacket to stay warm.

9. I got one size larger than I normally wear (large - I got extra large) because most jackets are usually not quite as big as advertised. Also, I work in an cold office and wear a sweater all day, so I wanted something that I could wear over my sweater when walking to and from the office and my car, but so that I wouldn't have to take my sweater off and then put it back on. Works great both ways. So something to think about as far as sizing goes.

Ideally, I would like a jacket that pre-heated instantly (like in under a minute, maybe like 20 or 30 seconds) and had coils all over the jacket to be ultra-warm, and also had a ridiculously long battery life, but without having a bulky battery, I don't think that could happen. I was thinking maybe if they got a long NiCad-style pack, like battery in a flexible rubberized sleeve, then you could insert that around the bottom sort of like a belt and distribute the weight, but as it is it works pretty good and uses off-the-shelf parts, which is nice.

So, in conclusion: it's a little bit attention-getting for my tastes (glowing button and super bright red), but not really too bad in practice, and I really like the design & thin material. It does a good job heating up; just remember to preheat it before you go outside. I'm going shooting with it this weekend (film & video) and I'm really looking forward to being warm while I do that, haha. The girls at work really liked the warmth, but I don't think they would buy one, whereas I think a few of the guys went to Home Depot after work to pick one up. If you're doing camping or hiking in the wintertime, I bet this plus some thermal underwear would be super awesome for staying extremely warm all over. Plus being able to swap a battery out of your jacket into a power tool is just cool :D

Last edited:

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Got one for the wife for christmas and she loves it (bought it 3 weeks before Xmas)... She works security so is out and about on patrol from time to time in the cold... Being a female she is cold all the time and this was the perfect gift even though we live in Southeast TX... She says it warms up within a couple of min when its in the warm up time (LED flashes red slowly)... Her main cold spot is on the back and it takes care of that area very well but as stated the arms are not heated but also she only uses it on the med. setting as the high setting it gets quite warm... We got the one with the battery and charger but I already had the M12 pistolgrip screwdriver which came with 2 batteries and a charger... I got the screwdriver for free when I bought a Milwaukee multimeter and really did not even need the screwdriver so the batteries came in handy...

All in all its a very nice jacket and she has had several compliments on it and how inovative it is... Highly recomend it for the cold natured person... :thumbsup:

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
All in all its a very nice jacket and she has had several compliments on it and how inovative it is... Highly recomend it for the cold natured person...
My wife has the same "constant cold" syndrome interrupted by menopause hot flashes. Makes for some interesting thermostat adjustments. :D

This heated jacket would be great for her but I doubt the style/color would be acceptable enough for her to consider it "office" clothing.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
Milwaukee electric heated jacket review:

I received the jacket. Here are my thoughts:

1. It's very bright red. I don't like to wear clothes to draw attention to myself, so it's a little bright for me. No one really seemed to notice that in person though, so that's just me having social anxiety, lol. It's a very sharp jacket though and looks really good.

2. The activator button is cool - it's like a Star Trek chest communicator. Press & hold for a few seconds to active, then choose between low, medium, and high.

3. The button glows when the jacket is on, which I think is cool, but also a little embarrassing. It's a fairly bright glow - white, blue, and red depending on the heat level. I got a few funny looks when I was wandering around in public with it. On the flip side, I kind of feel like Ironman with the glowing chest widget :D

4. The battery is surprisingly non-intrusive. It uses a small power tool battery (the M12), which plugs into a cord in a pouch on the rear left side of the jacket. It's fairly large for a jacket battery (that sounds absurd), but hasn't bothered me like I thought it would due to the weight/size.

5. It requires pre-heat time - 10 or 15 minutes to really warm up. It's just like an electric blanket. So it's not like you turn it on and it's instantly warm, it takes a few minutes to warm up. You also get used to the heat fairly quickly, which is what I found to be the same case with electric blankets - it's not like standing under a hot shower and you stay hot and toasty, you just kind of warm up to a point and then you feel more or less normal or room temperature instead of hot. I guess that's actually a nice feature because then you don't stay hot and start sweating.

6. The coils are on your chest and back - left chest, right chest, upper/mid back. If you put your hands in the pockets, they are somewhat warm but not hot. I got a size larger than I am and noticed it was hotter if I was sitting in a chair with the jacket pressing against me; so if you got one that was a tight fit, I think you would toast up faster because it was making flush contact with your body.

There are no coils on the arms or the bottom of the jacket. However, this did not bother me - if your chest area is warm, it seems to keep the rest of you warm. Only my hands were cold, but I have gloves for that. I was surprised at that - I thought that would be a negative, having no heat in the arms, but it was fine.

7. The standard battery is $35 and the extended is $70. I didn't want to pay $70 but now I wish I had, since the stock battery only lasts maybe an hour or two at maximum heat. Fortunately they sell a combo wall/car charger for it, so you can plug the battery into your car to charge. You can't be wired into the wall or 12V plug directly though. They advertised up to 6 hours of heat, but I'd imagine that's on the low setting and probably with the extended battery. Stupid expensive batteries.

The combo wall/car charger was like $70 at Home Depot, so it was $120 for the jacket, $40 for the battery ($35 at Amazon, $39 at Home Depot), and $70 for the wall/car charger (make sure you get that one! Home Depot sells just the wall charger for $70, so you can get the car adapter for the same price), so the total was $230 for the jacket when bought separately. Wow, that sounds horrifically expensive. At least I can use the charger/battery on some power tools! :awe: And a good quality jacket goes for about $100 anyway, so an extra $20 or so for electronic capabilities isn't bad, at least not too bad if you're using Milwaukee power tools too.

They sell the set for $170 on Amazon, which includes the jacket, a battery, and a quick charger (you can buy an inverter on your own). I wish I had done that, but I had the jacket shipped to my in-laws and bought the batteries in a store, and since I don't have a better winter jacket right now I'm just going to eat the cost. Ah well.

8. The jacket is thin but surprisingly warm on it's own. If it was like zero degrees outside and you had it pre-heated, you wouldn't need a huge winter jacket - just some good gloves to go with it. I really like that because you don't have to lug around a big, bulky jacket to stay warm.

9. I got one size larger than I normally wear (large - I got extra large) because most jackets are usually not quite as big as advertised. Also, I work in an cold office and wear a sweater all day, so I wanted something that I could wear over my sweater when walking to and from the office and my car, but so that I wouldn't have to take my sweater off and then put it back on. Works great both ways. So something to think about as far as sizing goes.

Ideally, I would like a jacket that pre-heated instantly (like in under a minute, maybe like 20 or 30 seconds) and had coils all over the jacket to be ultra-warm, and also had a ridiculously long battery life, but without having a bulky battery, I don't think that could happen. I was thinking maybe if they got a long NiCad-style pack, like battery in a flexible rubberized sleeve, then you could insert that around the bottom sort of like a belt and distribute the weight, but as it is it works pretty good and uses off-the-shelf parts, which is nice.

So, in conclusion: it's a little bit attention-getting for my tastes (glowing button and super bright red), but not really too bad in practice, and I really like the design & thin material. It does a good job heating up; just remember to preheat it before you go outside. I'm going shooting with it this weekend (film & video) and I'm really looking forward to being warm while I do that, haha. The girls at work really liked the warmth, but I don't think they would buy one, whereas I think a few of the guys went to Home Depot after work to pick one up. If you're doing camping or hiking in the wintertime, I bet this plus some thermal underwear would be super awesome for staying extremely warm all over. Plus being able to swap a battery out of your jacket into a power tool is just cool :D

great review bud. i like that its milwaukee red to match your power tools. id wait for the next genertion before getting one except i live in ca so i have no use for this product

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
how much of a wimp will I be if I order this for a Los Angeles winter? I was in the low 40s last night...

I'm cold with anything under 72F, so no you're not a wimp, haha. It's almost 50 degrees out today and I had it on "High" all morning outside. Some people can tolerate the cold, I'm just not one of them :biggrin:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Got one for the wife for christmas and she loves it (bought it 3 weeks before Xmas)... She works security so is out and about on patrol from time to time in the cold... Being a female she is cold all the time and this was the perfect gift even though we live in Southeast TX... She says it warms up within a couple of min when its in the warm up time (LED flashes red slowly)... Her main cold spot is on the back and it takes care of that area very well but as stated the arms are not heated but also she only uses it on the med. setting as the high setting it gets quite warm... We got the one with the battery and charger but I already had the M12 pistolgrip screwdriver which came with 2 batteries and a charger... I got the screwdriver for free when I bought a Milwaukee multimeter and really did not even need the screwdriver so the batteries came in handy...

All in all its a very nice jacket and she has had several compliments on it and how inovative it is... Highly recomend it for the cold natured person... :thumbsup:

Oh is that what the blinking is for? Derrrr...I would turn it on and it would blink, then I would press it again for the heat level I wanted. Maybe that's why it takes so long - I'm interrupting the warm-up cycle! haha.

I get compliments on it just as a jacket, it's actually pretty sharp looking. When people see the glow I just tell them it's my house arrest jacket :biggrin:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My wife has the same "constant cold" syndrome interrupted by menopause hot flashes. Makes for some interesting thermostat adjustments. :D

This heated jacket would be great for her but I doubt the style/color would be acceptable enough for her to consider it "office" clothing.

I think the style could be mitigated if they made a more neutral color like black. The red looks really nice but I prefer darker colors like blue or black.

I do think its cool that it's an electric jacket. Makes me feel like Marty McFly :awe:

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I am far too lazy to look it up, but some Norwegian guy did a bunch of studies and found that if your torso is sufficiently warm, you can actually go without gloves in in freezing environments. It was on Discovery or Science channel or something like that. The show was about how different people can handle the cold because they are geneticially fit for it (Eskimos) and how technology can mimic some of the same things.

He had the guy doing the show sit in a cooler and do dexterity tests. Said guy started failing when it got too cold. He put on some super heated vest thing, pulled off his gloves, and rocked throught he tests. The idea being that if your heart and lung are warm, the blood flowing to your extremities is warm as well. Noe I am certain the vest was not of the Milwaukee variety, but some super thing that plugged into the wall or something along those lines.

EH

Nic335

Nov 27, 2011
I just buyed one. and it awsome it realy heat up i just wish they whoud put more heat patch i buyed my heated jacket at jccayer.com and what is cool is that they have some black and camo edition,

so i buyed mine black and it look profesionel enouft to be working in office with it,

here is a look you might want to take a look at * ( they ship world wide )

http://jccayer.com/category.php?page=2&category=285&catbrand=Milwaukee&categoryopened=4

Status
Not open for further replies.