Milkyway Down?

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
My machine hasn't been able to get any WU's through the BOINC client since last night. It also won't upload the currently completed WU's.

I'm getting the following error in my log:

Project communication failed: attempting access to reference site
Internet access OK - project servers may be temporarily down.

Anyone else having issues with Milkyway?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
The web page doesn't respond for me now either, and I have seen the same failure messages as yours mentioned in a German DC forum today.

kowalabearhugs

Sep 19, 2010
www.mattkowal.net
Milkyway is back up as of Monday March 4th.

Apparently on Friday they posted that, "The building we house our server in will be doing maintenance on their power systems over the weekend. Unfortunately, that means there will be an outage from today at 4pm to Monday at 10am. I am sorry for the late notice."

I'm sure more than a few people missed some hours of crunching due to the late notice. I have a 7970 that was crunching only the DP Milkyway WUs, so I had no backup project in place.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Is Milkyway down again? Been trying to get work to test out my new Radeon card but have been getting "Communication deferred 1:30" repeatedly when updating.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Is Milkyway down again? Been trying to get work to test out my new Radeon card but have been getting "Communication deferred 1:30" repeatedly when updating.

Looks to be down again for me as well.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Perhaps it is the server's way to tell that no new work is left:
On March 15 Jake said:
New Workunit Generation Pause
Hey Everyone,

In preparation for the migration to the new server, we will be pausing the generation of new workunits today. This does not mean that we will stop sending out workunits. Instead, it means that the only workunits being sent out will be those needing cross validation. Hopefully, this will allow us to clear the workunit validation queue by Tuesday morning and simplify our transition process.

This may also mean that at somepoint this weekend or on Monday, there will be very few workunits left on the server to process. This is expected.

Best,

Jake

@Kiska's graph:

results_milkyway-week.png

(rts = tasks ready to send)

More context:
On March 13 Jake said:
Planned Server Outage Tuesday March 19th
Hey Everyone,

The new server is in and I am working on getting our project set up and migrated over. My current plan is to take the current server offline early on Tuesday and migrate the database to the new server. I'm not sure how long this will take since the database is quite large. Hopefully I will have everything back up and running sometime on Wednesday the 20th. Sorry for any inconvenience this will cause.

Thank you all for your continued support.

Best,
Jake
On March7 Jake said:
New Server Installation
Hey Everyone,

We will be receiving our new server today. This means we may experience a few planned outages over the next couple days as we get it set up and migrate our data. In addition to installing this new hardware, we will also be upgrading the server to the BOINC server version 1.0 that was recently released. As is usual during upgrades, there may be a few hiccups along the way. Please bear with us while we work to make things more stable in the long run.

Thank you all for your continued support.

Best,
Jake

Last edited:
Reactions: IEC

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Now I can get tasks, but it won't download the binary for opencl_ati_101 (or something like that). It just stays stuck at 0% and won't download no matter what I do.

Other projects run fine, but I wanted to test out some FP64 compute :(

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Not this time. Read the forums if you want a work around. I'm going to wait for the admin to fix his screwup myself.

Thanks, manually downloaded the appropriate binary from: https://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/download/

Was able to copy-paste it into the appropriate BOINC project folder and "Retry" on the download, at which point it is now crunching through tasks.

Edit:
All is clear, now turning in valid tasks.

Last edited: