Milk prices?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Yeah same here, i'll never stop. I'll slack off on buying any soft drinks jsut to keep my milk. I'd rather buy milk and some Hershey's strawberry syrup for variety before cancelling milk and continuing sodas. Although the occassional Sunkist is nice, or a refreshing classic coke :)

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
Horizon organic milk is $4.50 per half gallon but it is the best tasting milk I can find.

Cold Steel

Dec 23, 2007
Originally posted by: RandomFool
I don't even look at the price anymore. Nothing will stop me from getting my Milk.

QFT.

But it's about $3 here. WIth both kids finally off to college, we're down to less than a gallon a day. Used to be well over a gallon a day and when they come home for breaks, it goes back up to over a gallon a day.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
A while back there was a thread about people who had fresh milk delivered to their house. The milk was suppose to be creamier and a ton fresher tasting then the stuff you get at the store.

Now that the price of milk has risen so much, has the price of that stuff been increased as well? If not has it become close enough to make it really worth it?

Instan00dles

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2001
I like to get it straight from the cow, cheaper (don't actually own the farm) and tastes better.

Sasiki

Oct 18, 2004
Originally posted by: chusteczka
Horizon organic milk is $4.50 per half gallon but it is the best tasting milk I can find.

I'm paying $3.50 a gallon for a half gallon. For some reason, regular milk makes my wife sick. She can drink the organic all day long though.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: newb111
I always buy it on sale for $1.99 a gallon. Rarely does a week go by that doesn't have that price.
Milk's one of those things that never goes on sale in my area. I don't really pay attention to the price, either. I pretty much buy two gallons at a time and it lasts me til the week before/of the expiration date, as long as I don't do much cooking with it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Kahleeforneeya regulates the price of milk pretty heavily, so it's rare to actually get a sale on it.

Fortunately, I don't actually drink the nasty stuff, I only use it on cereal and my wife uses it for cooking.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
:( I guzzle milk unfortunately. It has gotten to be quite expensive, whether it be for cooking, my morning coffee, or the usual dinner drink.

If you ever want to know the state of the middle class in the US, you need only look at the price of milk and gasoline. There are pleny of threads on the other...

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
3.49/gal for kemps select(rbgh free) in wisconsin. its all I buy. There are cheaper milks, but i dont support bovine growth hormone usage...

Feb 19, 2001
Ppl here fail at buying groceries. Once I read that people were paying $2, $3 for a dozen eggs I nearly cried. This is not gasoline guys, you can get cheap eggs and cheap milk, and it doesn't even have to be from a shady place. Costco milk.... is what. $3ish for 2 gallons? Come on. Stop complaining. I pay $4 and I get hormone free milk, but it's not organic. If I wanted cheaper milk I could easily hit up Safeway for $2/gallon.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Yeah, it seems that it's about $1/gal higher here. With 3 kids we go through a lot of the stuff, and I don't help things. Oddly, yogurt seems to have stayed constant...

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Ppl here fail at buying groceries. Once I read that people were paying $2, $3 for a dozen eggs I nearly cried. This is not gasoline guys, you can get cheap eggs and cheap milk, and it doesn't even have to be from a shady place. Costco milk.... is what. $3ish for 2 gallons? Come on. Stop complaining. I pay $4 and I get hormone free milk, but it's not organic. If I wanted cheaper milk I could easily hit up Safeway for $2/gallon.

No you can't, especially in the Bay Area. Costco milk more expensive than Safeway? I don't think so.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
good thing i dont drink milk.. makes me.. well use the bathroom. Lactose int. =[

and milk usually spoils in our house.. no1 drinks it lol. I use to drink it every damn day because its good, but i cant anymore.

whole milk ftw.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
I forgot to say that we splurge sometimes in the summer and get milk from the farmers market. mmm local whole milk straight from the farm. About $3 a half gallon iirc

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Twista
good thing i dont drink milk.. makes me.. well use the bathroom. Lactose int. =[

and milk usually spoils in our house.. no1 drinks it lol. I use to drink it every damn day because its good, but i cant anymore.

whole milk ftw.

How did you become lactose intolerant if you drank milk every day?
I do not understand lactose intolerance.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
All in your imagination.

Everythig is cheap, wages rising through the roof.

My aunt and uncle which run a dairy farm sure don't see that, they said they still get about the same for every 1000 gallons. Maybe a little bit more but I don't remember it being much, mostly due to the rise so they get a little extra cut. Not sure where the extra costs are coming from... owners of mega farms?

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Yeah, it hurts especially because I drink skim milk. But, I like milk enough to pay the premium.