Military FPS game.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee1

Jun 27, 2011
if he wants something SIMPLE, I suggest Day of Defeat Source. It's a great game consisting of fun and short rounds with easy and clear objectives.

Aug 11, 2008
A 7750 isn't necessarily awful, but you'll have to put BF3 on low settings if you have any desire to play at a smooth framerate.

OP, do you know what cpu he has? BF3 is pretty cpu intensive as well, especially online large player matches.

COD on the other hand will run on almost anything, and the early games at least were decent for thier time graphically.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Spec Ops: The Line was pretty dang fun for single player. It basically shares the same plot as Apocalypse Now (which is based on Heart of Darkness) so he might enjoy it from that perspective, too.

khel

Nov 21, 2012
Definitely Get CoD 1, 2, and 4. Battlefield 2 and 2142 are also quite nice

Prolly recomment this one for him.. for now.. then go to others..

Im not really sure how his his specs are been awhile when i visited his place.. but ill ask..

Also will ask him if he's into multiplayer and all but i think he's too old for that lol.. but we'll see.. thanks everyone for the suggestions..

just keep it coming :D

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Battlefield 2 is the best complete military experience, and will run butter smooth. And if he likes WW2, DOD source is super fun (although way more arcade style) and will also run butter smooth. Both of these games have a more mature player crowd. COD and CS are for kids.

Also, he may want to try operation flashpoint DR and RR, as that is pretty damn good when it comes to milsim, but it might be a little hard of a learning curve, like ARMA.

Savatar

Apr 21, 2009
Most FPS games nowadays are primarily known for their multiplayer gameplayer (cooperative play online). However, if you like to play single player, then most of them are awful... including the Call of Duty and Battlefield series.

There aren't many good single player ones... but a couple good single player FPS games include Far Cry 3 and Metro 2033... though both have elements that are unrealistic (like mutants in Metro 2033). You also might want to check out the older Half Life 2 if you missed that, as it is (supposedly) one of the best FPS games of all time (but it also involves elements which aren't realistic, like aliens).

Aug 11, 2008
Most FPS games nowadays are primarily known for their multiplayer gameplayer (cooperative play online). However, if you like to play single player, then most of them are awful... including the Call of Duty and Battlefield series.

There aren't many good single player ones... but a couple good single player FPS games include Far Cry 3 and Metro 2033... though both have elements that are unrealistic (like mutants in Metro 2033). You also might want to check out the older Half Life 2 if you missed that, as it is (supposedly) one of the best FPS games of all time (but it also involves elements which aren't realistic, like aliens).

I disagree that the early COD games were bad. Up through MW 1 I thought they had quite good single player campaigns. After that though, I agree, pretty much just the same thing over and over.

Metro 2033, I agree. Great game. FC3 I haven't played yet. These games are pretty demanding though. I played metro on a HD 7770, so a 7750 should handle it at low to medium.