Military FPS game.

khel

Nov 21, 2012
So my stepdad got a new videocard.. not really the big one but just your regular Asus-7750 and he's asking me for a simple military FPS he can play with the card.. I dont know much really about FPS since i mostly play RPG and all..

Can anyone recommend me a good game for him that would be too easy to learn too i guess lol.. or just any good military game :D

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
There's these one games called "Call of Duty"....you might have to hunt around a bit because they're kind of obscure.

;)

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
easy to learn, easy to master...CAll of Duty or Black OPS
easy to learn , difficult to master Battlefield (get 3 or wait for 4 October 31st)
moderatly difficult to learn, most realistic.. ARMA 3...

khel

Nov 21, 2012
So which of the COD series would be good for him? Forgot about ARMA that be good too

thepaqster

Oct 26, 2011
If he's an experienced gamer he'll figure out the intricacies of ARMA and he'll love the hell out of it.

If he's not so experienced, learning ARMA will be a pain in the ass. My dad plays CoD because it's shit simple and he doesn't want to be bothered learning ARMA hehe.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
If he likes WWII, Medal of Honor Airborne was a blast and very well-done, IMHO. My only complaint is that the last level got a little silly in terms of realism.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
counter strike.
That is a nice game though I think if you've not played it for a while, you'll just be cannon fodder. You end up waiting for the next round because you died in the initial few seconds of the round.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
does he want to play online with other people or just single player?

Most FPS games these days are geared toward multiplayer.

BF3 and CoD have SP campaigns. CS does not have a campaign but can play offline with bots.

ARMA and Operation Flashpoint and Red Orchestra (and whatever the latest one is) for more realistic games

Then you've got stuff like Rainbow 6: Vegas 2 and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Aug 11, 2008
So which of the COD series would be good for him? Forgot about ARMA that be good too

The first game was great, made for PC. The second game was good also. Those were both WW2 settings. I also thought Modern Warfare was also very good with a contemporary setting. After that things went downhill fast. The games became very deravitive and consolized. MW2 was the worst IMO. The Black Ops games were OK, but I would play the original games and COD MW first.

The COD series incurs a lot of disdain these days. But the early games in the series were actually great.

nafees127

Jul 25, 2013
call of duty series (cod4 was evollution in military FPS)
MOH warfighter
crysis 3
Battlefield 2 and 3
Fuel

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I remember cod2, first game that did smoke effects right.

modern warfare 2 was imo the best of the series. It had the original team, big budgets, and jesus christ hans zimmer did the sound track, how is that not awesome?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare is considered by many to be the pinnacle of the CoD series. Great singleplayer campaign, easy to learn, and it should run great on your stepdad's 7750.

Don't listen to people suggesting BF3 or Planetside 2. They won't run very well on his computer, and Planetside 2 isn't as simple as he would probably like.

Aug 11, 2008
I remember cod2, first game that did smoke effects right.

modern warfare 2 was imo the best of the series. It had the original team, big budgets, and jesus christ hans zimmer did the sound track, how is that not awesome?

Each to his own opinion, I guess, but I loved MW1 and hated MW2. It was well done technically I suppose, but I thought the story was just absolutely over the top. I mean one guy capturing a Russian sub and firing off a nuke? Seriously?

Aug 11, 2008
call of duty series (cod4 was evollution in military FPS)
MOH warfighter
crysis 3
Battlefield 2 and 3
Fuel

Yea, I dont play multiplayer, but I picked up MOH Warfighter on the cheap and just finished the single player campaign. It was surprisingly good actually. Not sure what cpu the op's stepdad has, but it is a fairly demanding game. I am sure with a 7750 (assuming ddr5) and a decent cpu you could play on med at 1080p. I have low end i5 and a 7770 and could play on high, gpu limited, but pretty heavy use on the cpu as well.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If he's an older guy, look at world of tanks. It's not a FPS, but it's military and he might get a kick out of it.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Each to his own opinion, I guess, but I loved MW1 and hated MW2. It was well done technically I suppose, but I thought the story was just absolutely over the top. I mean one guy capturing a Russian sub and firing off a nuke? Seriously?

On the flip side of that, I went nuts over the russian invasion of the east coast, that was just awesome.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare is considered by many to be the pinnacle of the CoD series. Great singleplayer campaign, easy to learn, and it should run great on your stepdad's 7750.

Don't listen to people suggesting BF3 or Planetside 2. They won't run very well on his computer, and Planetside 2 isn't as simple as he would probably like.

What? How bad is a 7750 that it won't run BF3?

FalconHorse

Jul 22, 2011
Rising Storm is on sale on steam. Never played it or the RO franchise at all, but it's got a nice metascore, and the strategyinformer review was positive.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
If he's an older guy, look at world of tanks. It's not a FPS, but it's military and he might get a kick out of it.

This, as long as he doesn't listen to the constant "noob" "uninstall" and "F***** MOVE!" chatter in chat. I swear WoT players are as bad as CoD console players.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i dont think your dad will look beyond BF3.

To be honest if u can handle the constant server changes when your team is one sided, its not a bad game.

Also if u can handle Origin...

But military wise its pretty solid.
He will be required to grind for unlocks tho.
So he may get abused really badly as he's under geared, under leveled, and the team on top being one sided...