Mike Tyson...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JRock

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: JEDI
However, I had a lot of failures in this endevour so here I am in a small apartment now, as opposed to my first home lost in a divorce (don't know value, taxes are about $7k on it a year) or my parents house ;)

The reason I say that last part is there are an extreme amount of these guys and gals living at home post-graduatation that seem to have all the answers for years afterward. The best of them now has his parents putting him up in a $10k a month NYC rental while all he does all day is hang out at the college music hall and pick up the 18 year olds with his piano skills and stories (developed in hind sight)....the dude is 30. Has no job, but has high-end furniture, toys, and a wallet full of gold and platinum cards paid by mom and dad.

wtfbbq does this have to do w/mike tyson?

I think Mike got into the money side of life and lost his killer side of life.

My friend is no Mike Tyson in his hey day, but having a $40k+ line of credit taken care of is a nice income.

this same friend had his parents break up with a chick that was living with him for a year+...then had the ballz to insist she pick him up at the airport and bring his rollerblades :confused:

WTF @ Rollerblades?

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
The death of his manager is what led to his downfall. I think that if he still had his manager, he would still be boxing now. He would've never got into trouble with Robin Givens(?) because his manager was such a major influence in his life.

As soon as he died, Mike was doomed. There was no one willing (or able) to control him; everybody just wanted to ride until the wheels fell off.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
My white-haired momma just knocked out Tyson in a parking lot the other day. He tried to bite her too! :laugh:

:beer:

JRock

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2001
Just wanted to comment about you people commenting about the quality of opponents Tyson faced... I don't disagree but I was just saying that still as of today you dont see a boxer with the speed and power Tyson came with...

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: Crazee
Tyson was a good fighter, but it's not like his list of knockout victims was a who's who of boxing. He plowed through a weak heavyweight division with wins over such perpetual palookas as Trevor (I lost to ST Gordon) Berbick, Pinklon (I lost to Trevor Berbick) Thomas, Alex (I already got knocked out by Holyfield) Stewart, Alfonso(I lost to Bernard Benton) Ratliff, Frank (if you hit my chin I will go to sleep) Bruno.

Yes Tyson probably fought the best available fighters at the time (although he didn't jump at the chance to fight Holyfield before Tyson was put away for rape), he was the right fighter at the right time to look much better than he really was. He was good for boxing at that time, but he is a joke now and has been for quite a few years. They need to yank his license before he hurts himself trying to get out of debt.

I disagree.

The best in the sport are always good. Usually at the highest level of any sport, the best competitors are very close in performance. Once in a while something special will come along and make everyone else look like kids.

Growing up it was awesome watching Tyson fight. There was everyone else.... and there was Tyson. As soon as someone rose up to Tyson's level, he'd dispatch them with the greatest of ease. He wasn't just fed scrubs- he rose through the amateur ranks in record time and became the youngest heavyweight champ ever. It only took him two rounds to defeat who was at the time the best the sport had to offer. They don't just hand the title out to anybody, you have to earn it.

The fact that he was able to turn pro as a teenager and win the title is a testament to his skill and power. The only reason that the competitors are thought of as scrubs is because Tyson made them look that way.

PS- My friend is a pro boxer, just had his first fight a couple months ago. At the local gyms in Philly you often see old legends of boxing who stayed close to the sport. He met one of the refs, Frank Cappuccino, who was a referree for over 25,000 bouts, (10,000 of them pro bouts), and had the opportunity to talk to him for a while. He said that there is really only one fighter to really ever stand out in his eye- Tyson. He said he was really something special.

Foreman was great in his prime. he only got beat by probably the best ever so there really is no shame in that. but Ali was never devastating puncher that Foreman is/was.

we watch foreman fight now and only see a percentage of his power. he had an amazing KO right too.

and that was against better fighters than Tyson fought.

i'd love to have seen foreman in his prime fight tyson in his prime.

JRock

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
My white-haired momma just knocked out Tyson in a parking lot the other day. He tried to bite her too! :laugh:

:beer:

Wocka Wocka!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

despite you dismissing Ali.

foreman and Tyson would be interesting (both in there prime)...however I think Tyson would have identified it and just killed him unintentionally.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

despite you dismissing Ali.

foreman and Tyson would be interesting (both in there prime)...however I think Tyson would have identified it and just killed him unintentionally.

identified it?

btw, i didn't dismiss ali. ali clearly beat foreman, but ali did not have the type of power Foreman and Tyson had. Ali knew it. so why shouldn't i acknowledge it.

btw, i did say foreman got beat by "perhaps the best ever" referring to ali, so i wouldn't exactly call that a dismissal.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Sqube
The death of his manager is what led to his downfall. I think that if he still had his manager, he would still be boxing now. He would've never got into trouble with Robin Givens(?) because his manager was such a major influence in his life.

As soon as he died, Mike was doomed. There was no one willing (or able) to control him; everybody just wanted to ride until the wheels fell off.

qft

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Tyson was a great fighter but had a glaring weakness. He beat his earlier opponents before even entering the ring with them. His Aura was something his fans loved and opponents totally feared.

Then came along the survivors. The opponents who would try their best to do the distance with him. Some of the tougher ones even got in a few licks against him and started exposing that weakness, that Tyson didn't like adversity and would start to unravel. I would watch those fights and say to myself, "Man if that guy would have done this instead of that, he could have beat this guy".

Obviously future opponents saw the same thing and started attacking Tyson more. Some like Razor Ruddock still ended up beat, but showed enough weakness in Tyson to even get a rematch.

Then we saw what happened in Tokyo. Tyson faced an opponent determined to survive and win due to dedicating the fight to his recently deceased mother. Tyson could not finish him off and was prime for the taking. Douglas was riding high on emotion and attacked. Tyson was down.

All Opponents then knew Tyson was "human". They all started to actually fight him. Tyson then faced Holyfield, who not only fought back, but actually attacked with brutal infighting. Holyfield was in his prime and actually bullied Tyson around the ring. The rematch confirmed his superiority.

Most people like to say Tyson was Great, but in my eyes, Holyfield was the truly great heavyweight fighter of the generation.

Cus D'Amato taught Tyson a brutal offensive and defensive peek-a-boo style. You cannot teach a fighter "heart" though.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
On another note, who is revved up for the Gatti/Mayweather fight tonight? I hope it turns into a war. I have a feeling that Gatti will get cut up and beat(he bleeds and swells up like crazy), but I'm hoping he drags Mayweather into a war and knocks Mayweather out.

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Originally posted by: stevens
Tyson was a great boxer, but the death of his manager really messed him up.

Tyson was a terrible boxer. A great brawler but a terrible boxer.

A boxer is like Floyd Mayweather JR, or Roy Jones JR, a brawler is like Tyson, or Mayorga.

I know what you mean though.

I mean, Buster Douglas outboxed Tyson with considerable ease, and Douglas wasn't even that good.

Also, Tyson is not the most punishing boxer ever. I'd have to give that one to Rocky Marciano.

Just my opinion.

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
If you want to know what the Foreman Tyson fight would have looked like, look at Foreman vs. Frazier. Tyson fought a very similar style to Frazier, the peekaboo. That style was custom made for Foreman as evidenced by his 2nd round KO of Frazier. That was domination of one of the best fighters of the generation.

I agree with PlatinumGold. Foreman was more devastating than Tyson. If you want to see another Heavyweight with devastating one punch power, watch Ernie Shavers tapes. He was a true one punch knockout artist in an area of great heavyweights. He wasn't the best boxer (not bad, but not great) so he lost a fair number of fights. With a record of 73-14-1 with 67 KOs, he was definitely someone who at any moment could take a fighter out, but if the fight went the distance he would most likely lose. Another amazing thing about him is of the 67KOs only 2 were TKOs.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Crazee
If you want to know what the Foreman Tyson fight would have looked like, look at Foreman vs. Frazier. Tyson fought a very similar style to Frazier, the peekaboo. That style was custom made for Foreman as evidenced by his 2nd round KO of Frazier. That was domination of one of the best fighters of the generation.

I agree with PlatinumGold. Foreman was more devastating than Tyson. If you want to see another Heavyweight with devastating one punch power, watch Ernie Shavers tapes. He was a true one punch knockout artist in an area of great heavyweights. He wasn't the best boxer (not bad, but not great) so he lost a fair number of fights. With a record of 73-14-1 with 67 KOs, he was definitely someone who at any moment could take a fighter out, but if the fight went the distance he would most likely lose. Another amazing thing about him is of the 67KOs only 2 were TKOs.

i'm guessing not many ATOTers are old enough to remember foreman in his prime and only think of foreman in his 40's (who is still at that age competitive with the best the heavyweight division has to offer).