Announcement Migration and Update 29/03

mknott

Staff member
Sep 3, 2019
Hi folks,

We've recently completed maintenance and migration for the Anandtech Forums.

While there is expected to be minimal impact, upgrading to the latest version of XenForo may cause potential issues that weren't apparent in testing. Please feel free to let us know if you encounter anything game changing in this thread.

As part of the update profile images (or Cover images as they were referred to) have been removed as the add-on that enabled this is now out of date and the feature is core to the latest version of XenForo so feel free to add them again.

Cheers!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I cannot explain it, but everything looks weird.
No errors though.
Hm, initially the fonts all looked a bit off, but seems to have resolved itself now that I look again. Maybe still pulling updated style sheets or something.
None of the links seem to differentiate between whether they've been visited before or not either.

CParsons

Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Hm, initially the fonts all looked a bit off, but seems to have resolved itself now that I look again. Maybe still pulling updated style sheets or something.
None of the links seem to differentiate between whether they've been visited before or not either.
You should see that fixed now.

Light Theme - New threads are blue, read ones will turn black.
Dark theme - New threads are blue, read ones will turn white.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Honestly I think it just looks weird becuase there is more whitespace between the topics. I noticed it just on the forum main page, it feels like everything is just spread out a little different. And maybe the fonts are a little darker / bolder? Not sure. No problems, I like the look in general :)

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I actually miss the colors of the old layout.

Everything seems white.

Can we get some blues back like the titles of threads and posters etc?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
How do I get rid of the "Similar threads" table at the bottom?
It is standing between me and the bottom navigation bar for the forum. That I use ALL the time.

If it is not an option, then I would like to know. Cause it would be followed up with a Style to remove it.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
The AnandTech favicon is not working, in case you hadn't noticed.

Edit: And there might be time sync issues. My post was posted "in a minute".

Reactions: balloonshark

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
How do I get rid of the "Similar threads" table at the bottom?
It is standing between me and the bottom navigation bar for the forum. That I use ALL the time.

If it is not an option, then I would like to know. Cause it would be followed up with a Style to remove it.
I'd also like to see that go away...whether by default or by option.

Speaking of options, I notice the "Settings" is much more limited.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Couldn't preview a post just now, in Firefox 109 . Clicking the Preview button just made my post ineditable - so I was forced to post it unfinished, THEN edit in the rest of the post. Never showed a preview.

ALSO, missing most emojies. They are kind of there, in a . . . ghostly way, I think . . . just not visible. ;)
:expressionless:
:fearscream::fearful::frowning::kissingclosed::disappointed:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken g6 and Ajay

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Some threads seems to be showing the original post pinned to the top of every page.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Couldn't preview a post just now, in Firefox 109 . Clicking the Preview button just made my post ineditable - so I was forced to post it unfinished, THEN edit in the rest of the post. Never showed a preview.:fearscream::fearful::frowning::kissingclosed::disappointed:

Same happened to me on FF 109, except I noticed that once it goes into preview mode, if I click the preview button again, it goes back to the post box and can further edit it. Not sure if that's broken or the way they intend it to be. Chrome browser is doing the same thing, looking like there is no purpose to the preview feature. Granted I never used it, maybe it was like that.

Reactions: Stiff Clamp

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Seems like this thread was a pre-cursor to this "update":

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Most of all, this update was senseless because of all the other ridiculous problems with the forum which didn't change with this update. I can appreciate updating but not putting forth any effort to do so before or instead of the other ridiculous problems, particularly with the layout, spacing including wasted space and truncated topic titles in the list view.

I frequent many, many forums, and this is the only one where every time i come here, I'm muttering to myself "effin' idiots" every time I see how screwed up the layout is.

What dumbass thought that the current level of wasted space then truncating the very topic titles themselves was a good idea? Absurd. Example screenshot.

This is the worse forum layout I've ever seen.

bs.png

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
the only problem i noticed is the favicon is in my browser tab

(and that all these old farts here are so affected by a minor update lol)

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Same as others.

Favicon missing. I really miss this when it's gone. When I have many tabs open (so always) it's hard to find the AT ones.

First post showing up when not wanted. It seems every time I choose to look back a the previous page of a thread I get that dumb first post at the top, and it centers me on it. This is annoying. I want the previous page of the thread, not the 1st post again and again. If I wanted the 1st post, I would go to the first page.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I just noticed something weird. I can't cry. :cry: It just comes up as a blank square for me.

On the smilies list a whole lot are missing, including all the food. (We're gonna starve! :p At least that smilie works.)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
The forums seems to be running fine. Everyone has already mentioned the bugs. My complaints are about the forum design choices.

I'm not sure who picked out the icons but they need a swift kick in the butt. The link and media icons are worthless and all the icons are tiny IMHO. I also have no idea why they can't post all icons in line instead of grouping 5 in "more options". At least the quote isn't hidden like in the last version. If you copy and paste formatted text it still brings along the formatting instead of just plain text. This means I have to copy/paste to notepad and then copy/paste the plain text to reply. It's a huge PITA.