Might have to finally throw my Ultra in the trash.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
That is crazy! But it worked. Now I know what I have to do when my card dies. :)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
dude my 8800gts totally died with the black screen bs. I'm gonna toast her up for sure. that thread is insane :)

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
well if your machine can run a 6400+, it probably has a board that can support say a phenom ii 720. Why dont you get a 4870 AND a 720 phenom? Its still under $300.

Also the 6400+ is a 140 watt cpu, and you have it paired with a video card that needs like 200 watts at load. Maybe your psu is dying?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Ultra in the oven? Hmmm. I guess if it totally dies I wouldn't have anything to lose.

As far as the PSU is concerned -

I never imagined that would be the problem, but I guess it could be dying.

Besides the Ultra and the 6400+ I have 2 DVD drives, 2 gigs of ram and a 250 gb HD. I think that comes in way under 550W.

The Nvidia req are 550 watts , the XFX req state 625 watts but I never worried about it that much. Maybe I shouldn't discount the possibilty that the Ultra is slowly sucking my PSU dry.

edit - my mobo is AM2, I can't go higher than the 6400+.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
You're right, you got the fastest CPU ever on the socket AM2. Try to follow the instructions exactly of that thread and see if you can resucitate your videocard. If it works then you can save more money for a system upgrade later.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by: Via
Man, I had no idea the 6400+ is such a bottleneck.

Its not.

Originally posted by: Via
I figured I would be fine with the 6400+ for at least another year or two (as long as I didn't expect very high on Crysis).

You will most likely will be fine depending on your games and expectations.

I can run Fallout 3 or a heavily modded Oblivion with my X2 6400+ and an 8800 GTX on max quality settings with 4X AA and 8X AF and keep between 30-60 FPS with either on a 22 inch monitor. While neither one are Crysis, they are still fairly demanding and I have a very enjoyable gaming experience. I don't anticipate replacing them until winter of 2010.

Hopefully the bake-in-the-oven fix will work and you won't have to worry about it! ;)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: evolucion8

sooooooo, i removed all bits from the card including the i/o shield and placed it gpu side down with the card raised up on 3 sides by tiny balls of aluminum foil and placed it on a very thin cookie sheet. i preheated the oven to 385f, put the card in and waited around 8-10 minutes. i carefully removed the cookie sheet and placed it on top of the oven to cool down naturally. waited about an hour and voila! =D"
Wow, just?wow. First HDs in the freezer, and now video cards in the oven.

What?s next? RAM sticks in a frying pan? :D

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Originally posted by: evolucion8

sooooooo, i removed all bits from the card including the i/o shield and placed it gpu side down with the card raised up on 3 sides by tiny balls of aluminum foil and placed it on a very thin cookie sheet. i preheated the oven to 385f, put the card in and waited around 8-10 minutes. i carefully removed the cookie sheet and placed it on top of the oven to cool down naturally. waited about an hour and voila! =D"
Wow, just?wow. First HDs in the freezer, and now video cards in the oven.

What?s next? RAM sticks in a frying pan? :D

Could be a new Hardware Recipe Cook Book
- the Freezer sure saved my HD data one time :p

Do you still have your old Ultra?

i am going to try it with an 8800GTX that artifacts at stock speeds
rose.gif

then i can use it or toss it

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
The freezer trick helped me get some epoxied ramsinks off a X1800XL once. I was scared to do it initially but wouldn't have trouble doing it now.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i believe if you do a butter cream sauce, with some mushroom puree, and pour it on the ultra, then put it in the oven at 450F for 30 min , you should be able to fix it.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
No .. the ultra cannot help your disaster of a Butter cream sauce recipe
- You burn it at 450F :p

However, at a lower temp, the ultra might add an interesting flavor to the sauce
:Q

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I saw in some forums that putting your 8800 card in a conventional oven can revive the card. http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1421792 << It worked for quite a lot of people, you may want to give it a try, after all you don't have anything to lose.

my 8800gtx died a little over 3 months ago. went ahead and ordered a new video card because i figured the card is completely dead without having to pay to send it in and get it repaired because i didnt register it when i bought it initially(dumb, i know...). anyway, i am posting this message running off my 8800gtx!

"i got the idea from another forum, because some guy in the UK bought a dead 8800gtx off of ebay that had red vertical lines through the screen...my card had the same symptoms...one day it locked up on me, rebooted, then locked up on me even quicker...rebooted, red lines all over the screen and windows wouldnt even boot. i tried the card in a friends computer with the same result...

Thanks worked!

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
The 8800 Ultra lived a good life, time to move on. Those Ultras were really a beast back in the day, and really have been great cards for a LONG time.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Well - hello, old thread.

I'm actually still using the Ultra; the black screens haven't gotten any worse.

By now I'm glad I waited to see what ATI had up it's sleeve. I'm going to build a Win7 PC sometime in the future.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ultra in the oven? Hmmm. I guess if it totally dies I wouldn't have anything to lose.

As far as the PSU is concerned -

I never imagined that would be the problem, but I guess it could be dying.

Besides the Ultra and the 6400+ I have 2 DVD drives, 2 gigs of ram and a 250 gb HD. I think that comes in way under 550W.

The Nvidia req are 550 watts , the XFX req state 625 watts but I never worried about it that much. Maybe I shouldn't discount the possibilty that the Ultra is slowly sucking my PSU dry.

edit - my mobo is AM2, I can't go higher than the 6400+.

For whatever it's worth, I had (and still have in a box somewhere) a Neo Power 550. They are very solid power supplies from what I've seen, I've read reviews where they push them to close to 700 watts of output before they run out of steam. It should be able to power any single GPU and your current CPU without any issues.

*edit - Oops. Didnt' realize this was old.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Its not.

You will most likely will be fine depending on your games and expectations.

I can run Fallout 3 or a heavily modded Oblivion with my X2 6400+ and an 8800 GTX on max quality settings with 4X AA and 8X AF and keep between 30-60 FPS with either on a 22 inch monitor. While neither one are Crysis, they are still fairly demanding and I have a very enjoyable gaming experience. I don't anticipate replacing them until winter of 2010.

Hopefully the bake-in-the-oven fix will work and you won't have to worry about it! ;)
yes it is when paired with something like a 4890 at low res. a 4890 at 1680 with a 6400+ would be a pretty wasteful in some games and in most cases would deliver nothing more than a 4870 could do. Fallout 3 runs ok even on a lower end cpus so thats not a good example. again its not that the 6400 X2 cant play almost every game smoothly, its that it cant keep up with a really fast video card at low res.

Last edited:

Phil1977

Dec 8, 2009
I know of several people that used the oven trick and it fixed their cards...

It basically melts the solder points and this fixes any contacts that got loose over time...

It won't fix dead cores or dead graphics chips or blown caps. But cores / graphics chips usually don't fail and blown caps, well you can spot them easily...

Graphics card companies to the same thing. They just call it rework station or something like that :)

Thats also why people buy dead cards. In hope they can revive them and sell them on...

CKTurbo128

Platinum Member
May 8, 2002
The 'baking oven method' works quite well on GeForce 8800 cards. A lot of people on HardForum were able to resurrect their dead 8800 GTX/Ultras. I was able to resurrect a malfunctioning 8800 GTS 640 MB with this method.

Kakkoii

Jun 5, 2009
Yeah, don't know why VIA doesn't just go for it. It's worth the little bit of effort to save a few hundred dollars.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Wow, an old's thread revival, cool that it worked. So many G80 cards had died, I wonder what nVidia did wrong with them? The old bump issue? I hope it doesn't happen with GT200 users or with Fermi. My X800XT PE it still kicking today, I can't say the same with the NV40 users which most cards based on it are dead today.