Question Might be buying an Intel "F" CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

t4d

Nov 17, 2018
Thinking about saving a few dollars on an "F"- type Intel CPU.

But........if my GPU stops working will I be able to see anything on the monitor as the system boots up with a non-functional GPU?

How would I know the GPU is not working, or will the system boot and then display some basic text characters?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
It all depends if you have a backup graphics card or not. I appreciate the iGPU in my Intel CPUs. That being said, I started in this hobby over 20 years ago when you had to have a graphics card unless your motherboard had onboard graphics. Enthusiast boards did not have onboard graphics. That was for OEM boards. If you have a spare dGPU or can pull one from another working machine, then get the F processor. I recently went back to this setup with my 5950X CPU that has no iGPU. Brings me full circle.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I thought that the iGPU had quicksync and other video type functionality(h264???) integrated in it. Thus no iGPU, no quicksync, etc.
Yes that's how that works.
If you want to use quicksync you need the intel igpu.
But handbrake is not a quicksync only converter it can use the cpu or nvenc or even the amd solution.
If you want to use handbrake with quicksync you need the igpu.
My question on power is related to whether the iGPU pulls overhead away from the CPU maximum ability. For example, iGPU whether in use or not impacts max turbo or not/etc.
For intel on the desktop the CPU always has the same amount of power available to it, the iGPU gets extra power on top of that, the stated TDP is for both the components running at the same time.
I'd be beyond shocked if Intel has some special "F assembly line". I think the F series are more than likely non-F chips that the iGPU features failed on... kind of like how Intel segments cpu cores based upon pass/fail or max turbo based upon how the chip tests out.
Intel doesn't and yes it's inside the CPU, but for AMD it's on the chipset and the chipset and the rest of the CPU get assembled somewhere and I would guess that a chipset with the igpu would be more expensive than one without.
So maybe they could alternate the assembly line between the different chipsets but they would still have to make two versions of the chipset.