Midsummer Seti@Home Race: the official race starting thread!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Sorry to hear about your flooding mate, but good to see you were prepared & sustained minimal damage :). RIP the bags of sugar & flour ;).

Originally posted by: Philippart
the best cuda, astropulse and regular optimized apps are here: http://lunatics.kwsn.net/
my C2Q@3333MhZ crunches WUs in 680 sec while a similar core i7 takes over 2000 sec with the stock app!!

use cpu-z to find out the highest sse level your hardware has available (I think early X2s have SSE2 and later revisions (am2) have sse3) and download the 32bit or 64bit (depending on your OS) versions of every application. instructions are provided with the download in a readme file!
I think any X2 will have SSE3 support as my late revision Sempron 3100 S754 has SSE3.

Btw v5.03 is for Astropulse, for SETI optimised apps you want Alex's v8.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
A race, count me in. :beer:

use cpu-z to find out the highest sse level your hardware has available (I think early X2s have SSE2 and later revisions (am2) have sse3) and download the 32bit or 64bit (depending on your OS) versions of every application. instructions are provided with the download in a readme file!
For Amd, AFAIK SSE2 is faster than SSE3, even if your Amd is SSE3-capable.

For Intel, some reports SSSE3+ is slightly faster than SSE4.1, while other reports opposite. Also, some reports SSE4.1 is faster, but only if got very fast memory... In either case, it's AFAIK negligible differences either way, so... Also, the variation probably depends on angle-range...

Astropulse would have been the "best-paying", but has a tendency to take longer to validate... But, for one thing, Astropulse has been running-ahead of SETI_Enhanced, so there's currently very little Astropulse-work, and only then new "images" has being added.

Also, a new Astropulse-version was released last week, and any new Astropulse-work will use this. An upgraded optimized Astropulse-version is currently only available in closed beta, so until it's generally released, there's no optimized Astropulse-application.

The older optimized v5.03 won't work correctly with newly-split Astropulse-work, only the ocassional re-issue will use the older v5.03-optimized.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Rattledagger
A race, count me in. :beer:

For Amd, AFAIK SSE2 is faster than SSE3, even if your Amd is SSE3-capable.

Interesting. I'm going to have to test this! I only have one AMD machine right now - a Sempron 2600 running at 2.0 Ghz - which has been running the SSE3 optimized app for about a week. I just switched it to the SSE2 optimized app and I'll let it run for a few days to see how it compares.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
hmmm, I am adding Seti to a couple of my boinc computers but it looks like Berkley may be having difficulties. No work and/or not able to connect. Not good timing..............

Anyone else having diffugalties?? (spell check that.........) :p

ochadd

May 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Pokey
hmmm, I am adding Seti to a couple of my boinc computers but it looks like Berkley may be having difficulties. No work and/or not able to connect. Not good timing..............

Anyone else having diffugalties?? (spell check that.........) :p

I've been unable to get any work since yesterday afternoon.

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Some difficulties getting WUs, but haven't dropped below ~50% stash of them though.

How do you do this? With some of teh Wu being so far in advance I don't want to be hindered by a servers availability day to day.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Alrighty..........
I have attached Seti to my Rosetta computers. I started a couple of days ago and just now did the the last two. I have set the Rosetta clients to not get more work so I should be 100% Seti shortly. However.................... I am seeing no surge in Seti points yet so I am hoping a week long race will be long enough for me to actually contribute. I know there is a lag time for results to show, I just didn't know how long. I hope it doesn't take a month to get results...................... I will find out soon enough I guess............

Peter, do we have any interest from other teams?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: filibusterman
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Some difficulties getting WUs, but haven't dropped below ~50% stash of them though.

How do you do this? With some of the WU being so far in advance I don't want to be hindered by a servers availability day to day.
Go to your SETI account, BOINC preferences, network useage & then up the number of days for the top 2 settings, I've got mine on 2days each.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Good to see so many TeAm-members around.
I will have to start the race later than I hoped, but it will start.
New approximate date: June 26 or June 27.
All other stuff will be the same ...

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I have followed the availability of WUs during the past 72 hours. It is not working well.
Now my computers have almost no WUs left; many results (140) are stuck uploading, many new WUs (90) are stuck downloading ...
This is not a local problem as a friend of mine has the same problem in Stockholm (Sweden) and and an other in Oslo (Norway).
There are no problems reported on the server status page, but BOINC reports that the internet connection is OK, but that there are html-problems, servers can not be reached etc.
I see no other option than to postpone the race. :(
I am so sorry. I'll be back in september with a new proposal.

Here is a link to the thread discussing the problems.

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
Originally posted by: petrusbroder
I have followed the availability of WUs during the past 72 hours. It is not working well.
Now my computers have almost no WUs left; many results (140) are stuck uploading, many new WUs (90) are stuck downloading ...
This is not a local problem as a friend of mine has the same problem in Stockholm (Sweden) and and an other in Oslo (Norway).
There are no problems reported on the server status page, but BOINC reports that the internet connection is OK, but that there are html-problems, servers can not be reached etc.
I see no other option than to postpone the race. :(
I am so sorry. I'll be back in september with a new proposal.

Here is a link to the thread discussing the problems.

SETI has been super sketchy lately well I guess I may have to start the ole folding crunching as my one rig with 2x 9800 gt likes to just quit and get too hot with those cuda bonic wus!! I hope the new folding app is more gentile on my gpus.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Ok, back to Rosetta for me. I hate they are having problems but now that I remember back, I seem to recall that it wasn't unusual given the complexity of their setup.

I will be watching for a race sometime in the future.

Thanks for the effort......................... :thumbsup:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Damn that's ashame :(, but understandable. Thanks for the update Petrus.

I've been having connection problems too but so far since I've switched over I haven't run out of WUs, although it has got close a couple of times.

I'm gonna keep my quad on SETI at least until I hit 1 million points then it'll be back to DPAD for a bit.