Middle Class vs. the 1%: It’s About to Get Really Ugly

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Before the market collapsed unemployment was below 5% and the stock market was at an all-time high. As far as the economy goes things were good whether your shallow brain can accept them or not.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

Of course it was. We were in a bubble! The economy was inflated! The "prosperity" we were experiencing was no different than the prosperity someone enjoys when they max out all their credit cards -- i.e. the prosperity is not normal.

Christ.... some people must wear fact repellent.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Dude, seriously. You are THE poster boy for mindless, 100% progressive slant. You are exactly as much not a liberal as is Obama.

I've always endeavored to express my viewpoints rationally. I've expressed opinions that lean left, and some that lean right. I detest what the Republican Party has turned into, but that doesn't make me a liberal.

We've had this discussion before, where I have specifically laid out positions I hold that no liberal would agree with. And you simply ignore all of it and keep repeating your usual dishonest BS.

You compare me to Obama, which is ironic, because you castigate him for things he never believed and never said in exactly the same way that you do it to me.

You know what? That's the final straw for me. I'm done with this place. See some of you in the tech forums. The rest -- have fun sloshing around in this cesspool. Someone drop me a note if it ever gets cleaned up.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I've always endeavored to express my viewpoints rationally. I've expressed opinions that lean left, and some that lean right. I detest what the Republican Party has turned into, but that doesn't make me a liberal.

We've had this discussion before, where I have specifically laid out positions I hold that no liberal would agree with. And you simply ignore all of it and keep repeating your usual dishonest BS.

You compare me to Obama, which is ironic, because you castigate him for things he never believed and never said in exactly the same way that you do it to me.

You know what? That's the final straw for me. I'm done with this place. See some of you in the tech forums. The rest -- have fun sloshing around in this cesspool. Someone drop me a note if it ever gets cleaned up.

Back to DU fucking liberal.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Things were good, but you cannot ignore the crash. Let's face it, it's going to take a long time to recover from this recession seeing as this one is really bad this time.

Who could ignore the crash? I replying to this:

Good times? I guess maybe the first year he was in office shit was still decent. but years 2-8 were a complete fucking economic disaster.

Which I stated was 100% false. And then in comes the clueless:

Oh my god

You and Spidey have and are doing the same drugs together.

You guys should take at least one page from the liberal book and have the decency to share that potent stuff.

Which I then had to post proof. Believe me, I know exactly how miserable the economy was the last year Bush was in office.

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Sorry, but Mills doesn't speak for me. I, the middle class, have nothing against the 1%. They haven't taken a dime out of my pocket.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Hahahahaha, Matt is insulting someone else's intelligence? Just a reminder that you can't tell the difference between a fake news story and a real one bro.

Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Of course it was. We were in a bubble! The economy was inflated! The "prosperity" we were experiencing was no different than the prosperity someone enjoys when they max out all their credit cards -- i.e. the prosperity is not normal.

Christ.... some people must wear fact repellent.
This, exactly. And now we're maxing out new credit cards to fund the "recovery."

Problem is, while this is easy to see and understand, how to fix it isn't nearly so simple. Stimulus won't work - stimulus works great for stopping the bleeding, but as FDR discovered, artificial demand produces economic activity only as long as the borrowed money is pumped in. Tax cuts for individuals won't work - consumers have few choices that aren't foreign made, taking much of that money out of our economy. Tax cuts for corporations and "job providers" won't work - the underlying fundamentals still make investing in China much more profitable and safer than investing in America. We have to get back to being a nation that produces more than it consumes - but how do we do that without tanking our standard of living? I wish I had the answer.

On the bright side, I just bought a Lasko oscillating fan at WalMart and it's made in America, albeit of "domestic and imported components".

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Okay, ya got me. Rationally expressed mindless 100% progressive slant. And I castigate Obama only for exactly what he said; it was the left that insists that Obama meant something other than what he said.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Sorry, but Mills doesn't speak for me. I, the middle class, have nothing against the 1%. They haven't taken a dime out of my pocket.
Agreed - although that doesn't mean I think they need another tax cut either.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
People are longing for the good times of Bush. They would love to go back to the economy under his leadership vs. the proven destruction of our country, economy and industry with Obama.

Are you better off since Obama took office? Overwhelmingly people say NO. Not since Carter have we seen the misery index so high, and people's hope for the future so low.

Obama = disappointment
Bush = disaster

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Personally, I don't understand how people making minimum wage with no healthcare insurance can identify with someone who has a Swiss bank account. I know people like this. A/P clerks making $15/hr who are in their 40s and 50s, staunch republicans. I don't get it. You really think Mitt Romney is going to represent you?

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I also decided, I hope for the love of God Romney wins the election.

Not because I am backing him (I am not)
Not because He will save the economy (I think both parties can but wont)
Not because I dislike Obama (I don't)

But for the sole reason to see how these forums act the week after that election results are announced.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Personally, I don't understand how people making minimum wage with no healthcare insurance can identify with someone who has a Swiss bank account. I know people like this. A/P clerks making $15/hr who are in their 40s and 50s, staunch republicans. I don't get it. You really think Mitt Romney is going to represent you?

They know that the Democrats do not care about them.

They also have enough pride that they believe that one should work for what they have; not go begging for handouts.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I also decided, I hope for the love of God Romney wins the election.

Not because I am backing him (I am not)
Not because He will save the economy (I think both parties can but wont)
Not because I dislike Obama (I don't)

But for the sole reason to see how these forums act the week after that election results are announced.

Ha, yep, should be good for a few laughs. Just look when Bush got re-elected....... :)

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

Sounds like the only thinh you know about Romney is what you heard on MSNBC.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
They know that the Democrats do not care about them.

They also have enough pride that they believe that one should work for what they have; not go begging for handouts.

The republicans are the only ones who care about them. The republicans couldn't care less, they just want them to be slaves to their rich overlords. The more work for the less money they can get out of them the better. The republicans want to give the rich all sorts of handouts and rig the game in their favor. So no matter what happens they will always end up on top, while the rest of the country suffers.