Mid Range Phones.

sammykhalifa

Dec 26, 2014
So I've been shopping and agonizing way too much about getting a new phone. I've been looking at the so-called "flagship killers" that are probably the same as everyone else's list, so I thought this could be a little help And, hopefully, someone other than me has found something better/different than what I've gotten, or for phones I haven't thought of.

Axon 7 plus "Special Gifts" The Grey One
Newegg @ $350
https://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/16-7416/#p=17

Honor 8 Blue
Best Buy @ $329
(also has Axon 7 MINI for $199)
https://slickdeals.net/f/9330407-huawei-honor-8-32gb-unlocked-329-99-best-buy-black-friday

Anything else/better? I'm still torn between these two. I'm kind of hoping someone knows of a deal for the Moto Z Play (I'm not coming up with anything) to make my choice even harder!

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i will keep an eye on this thread. looking for something under 5.2 inches and $200

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
For those interested in Windows Phones:

On November 24th, Microsoft store has Lumia 950 XL + Lumia 950 + Display dock for $499

Reactions: sammykhalifa

JimRice

Aug 11, 2007
I'm driving myself a little nuts between the LG G5 and the ZTE Axon 7. On the one hand, LG is a known brand, has the interesting wide angle camera, and while the phone didn't sell well at $650, at $400 it seems like a good value. On the other hand, the ZTE is $350, has more storage built in (although they both have microSD slots), and has stereo speakers up front which I use relatively frequently on my Alcatel Idol 3. Any opinions on the two?

sammykhalifa

Dec 26, 2014
I'm with you Jim. It seems like a coin flip option between most of the devices in that range. I've flipped back my choice several times in the past month or so, heh. The price drop on the LG makes it even murkier.

Right now my front runner is the Honor 8 though. The sale plus this Best Buy gift card I'm never going to use for anything else means I walk away with it for $200. Most of the things people don't like about it involves the software, and it sounds like they're fixing many of those issues with the imminent UI/Android update.

Last edited:

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
the Honor 8 looks like a really nice phone for $300. But im not so sure trusting chinese phones after this Blu episode....

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I'm with you Jim. It seems like a coin flip option between most of the devices in that range. I've flipped back my choice several times in the past month or so, heh. The price drop on the LG makes it even murkier.

Right now my front runner is the Honor 8 though. The sale plus this Best Buy gift card I'm never going to use for anything else means I walk away with it for $200. Most of the things people don't like about it involves the software, and it sounds like they're fixing many of those issues with the imminent UI/Android update.

Link to the best buy Honor 8 deal? It's showing up as $400 for me. I'm seeing a price of $290 with b&h, newegg, and amazon prime. They all have the gift boxes, while newegg & amazon have free clear cases, b&h gives you free bluetooth headphones, and newegg gives you a $25 gift card. b&h & newegg seem to be the best of the 3, depending on where you live because of sales tax. I've been thinking about getting the newegg deal because no tax and the gift card. But, if there is a better Best Buy deal...

Reactions: sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa

Dec 26, 2014

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Honor 8 is down to $265 at Amazon and Newegg, though Newegg nixed the gift card. I'm trying to choose between white and black.

JimRice

Aug 11, 2007
Somewhere out in the ether are a couple more posts of mine from yesterday. I pulled the trigger on a new 2015 Moto X Pure with 64GB storage for $270 yesterday. This was mainly because of the storage, the microSD slot, LTE Band 12 and WiFi calling on T-Mobile. It was on sale at Amazon, and that deal is sadly gone. However, B&H still has them for $270. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp?sku=1196058-REG

Good luck in your search, everyone.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
cricket will have the samsung s7 for $325 on monday.
its not mid range. but the price is perfect!
damn... its for new activation only. current customers are sol

Last edited:
Reactions: Thump553

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I got the $350 Axon 7. As an earlier post said, there are some compromises with everything in this price range, but it's got an excellent display and audio, 64GB memory with micro SD slot, and the size is just right for me. The UI is not stock Android but is fairly close to it and bloat-free compared to what Samsung and the larger companies have, and ZTE seems to be actively listening to the community and making improvements to it.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i got the nextbit robin 32gb from ebay as seen on slickdeals.net
it's actually really good for $150! i wouldnt buy it for $400 as listed on nextbit.com lol
too bad it doesnt support OTG but im not gonna cry

sammykhalifa

Dec 26, 2014
i got the nextbit robin 32gb from ebay as seen on slickdeals.net
it's actually really good for $150! i wouldnt buy it for $400 as listed on nextbit.com lol
too bad it doesnt support OTG but im not gonna cry

Good deal! I'm glad you found something you like.

I went with the Honor 8 like I was thinking about before. It seemed like too good a deal to me. Liking it so far!