Mid-Life Crisis?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I've heard some people talk abotu it from time to time, but never really paid attention to it so I have no clue what it is or what causes it. Reason I ask it parents are in their early 40's and they're kind of depressed lately which stemmed from some problems some time back, which I'd rather not discuss.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
It's when people realize they are getting old, and start to get scared that they won't get to do the things they wanted to do in life. Or that they wasted their youth.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: datalink7
It's when people realize they are getting old, and start to get scared that they won't get to do the things they wanted to do in life. Or that they wasted their youth.

oh ok, well then that's not what parents were feeling, thanks :D

SackOfAllTrades

Diamond Member
May 7, 2000
Cuz ppl start the 40/40 plan right out of college and after a while they forgot they were actually human beings.

Live your 20s, work your 30s.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
It can manifest itself in many ways. Anxiety, depression, cause people to buy certain 'youthful' things (cars, etc). I wouldn't generalize too much in its symptoms. Severe cases may need counseling.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SackOfAllTrades
Cuz ppl start the 40/40 plan right out of college and after a while they forgot they were actually human beings.

How can you afford to live your 20s if you don't work? Credit cards?

KK

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: SackOfAllTrades

How can you afford to live your 20s if you don't work? Credit cards?

KK

Didn't you get the memo? Instant gratification is the norm these days. People can't wait.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: datalink7
I'm only quarter life (yes I'll live to 104), and I agree that this is what causes it for most.
Didn't you get the memo? Instant gratification is the norm these days. People can't wait.
yes, the word our generation needs to adhere to is PATIENCE.

Titan

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
my friend's mom won a contest and wrote the new VT state song, when she was like 40. She really lost it, thought she was some great mucisian, divorced her husband, and left him and two sons behind as she wandered off into the world in search of her music career. And she used to be heavy and lost a ton of weight on the atkins diet and definietly didn't even look like the same person anymore. My friend stopped referring to her as mom.