Mid 90's Accord, Camry, or Maxima?

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I'm considering the v6 models of all of these. Automatic or manual doesn't really matter. Are there any domestic v6 sedans I should consider? I'm just a little concerned about eliability. My 85 Toyota Celica was exponentially more reliable than my 91 Dodge Spirit.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Whoever voted for a domestic... did you have something particular in mind? I'm open to them.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
The Honda can never lose! If you don't get the Accord then the Camry way before the Maxima

Right, when the Maxima has lower resale so you can pick it up for cheaper, has a more powerful V6 and is just as reliable.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I wouldn't bother with a V6 from the mid 90's in a Toyota or Honda. The real world power difference isn't great enough to compensate for the difference in mileage. I'd go for a 4cyl Camry

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: psteng19
The Honda can never lose! If you don't get the Accord then the Camry way before the Maxima

Right, when the Maxima has lower resale so you can pick it up for cheaper, has a more powerful V6 and is just as reliable.

Resale value is lower for a reason. Think about it.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: redly1
I wouldn't bother with a V6 from the mid 90's in a Toyota or Honda. The real world power difference isn't great enough to compensate for the difference in mileage. I'd go for a 4cyl Camry

The 4th gen Accord V6 is pointless. Camry 4's are historically gutless so I'd go for the 6 in that case.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
For reliability you can't go wrong with any of those - personally I'd go for the Maxima SE. Gorgeous leather interior, wonderfully smooth and powerful V6, and pretty good handling for what it is. Camry is also a very good car - extremely solid feeling, smooth and stable to drive, and the later ones have a really nice look to them. Haven't driven an Accord but everything I've heard about them has been positive.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000

I don't think the mileage difference is more than a couple mpg with a 4.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: NutBucket

The 4th gen Accord V6 is pointless. Camry 4's are historically gutless so I'd go for the 6 in that case.

Why do you say a v6 Accord is pointless? I know it has less power than the Camry and Maxima v6's though.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: psteng19

Resale value is lower for a reason. Think about it.

Enlighten us please? I would get the Maxima too, which I did.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
If you were to get an Accord, don't get an automatic. They break down easy, but the manual transmission is good though. Haven't had any problems with mine (knock on wood) yet.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Jumpem

Why do you say a v6 Accord is pointless? I know it has less power than the Camry and Maxima v6's though.

Because the power difference between the V6 and the four is about 30hp and 30ft-lbs of torque. Combined with increased weight its not worth it. I should add 5th gen V6s are model years 96-97 (i think). Now if you're talking 6th gen (98-02) then yes, the V6 is worth the extra money.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: kt
If you were to get an Accord, don't get an automatic. They break down easy, but the manual transmission is good though. Haven't had any problems with mine (knock on wood) yet.

Only 6th gen V6's. They extended the warranty on all of them.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000

Because the power difference between the V6 and the four is about 30hp and 30ft-lbs of torque. Combined with increased weight its not worth it. I should add 5th gen V6s are model years 96-97 (i think). Now if you're talking 6th gen (98-02) then yes, the V6 is worth the extra money.

On a 95 Camry, for example, the v6 is good for 188hp/203ft.lbs. The i4 is rated at 125hp/145ft.lbs. That's a 63hp and 58ft.lbs. difference... and the weight difference is about 50 pounds between them.

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed you only were reffering to the Accord.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
my parent have a '93 Maxima that they have put 112K on. Nearly no problems. I've got a '92 SE Maxima and it it waay cool. But I've done some preformance work to it too.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Originally posted by: RGN
my parent have a '93 Maxima that they have put 112K on. Nearly no problems. I've got a '92 SE Maxima and it it waay cool. But I've done some preformance work to it too.

My Maxima own3d jo0. :)

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000

Mods on a fwd sedan?... interesting

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

Mods on a fwd sedan?... interesting

Sheesh. You make it sound like nobody does it (as in real mods, not cosmetic ones)

kroq

Dec 10, 2000
MAXIMA! It feels more solid than the other two and yes, the SE simply rocks.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Another vote for the Maxima. My friend's wife had one (1995 model I think) and she just got rid of it last fall for an Audi (she'll miss the reliability). She put a ton of miles on that car and it was always very reliable...and fast. Black with black leather. It was shweet.