Microsoft's New DVR in the X Box One

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-ones-free-tv-dvr-launch-territories-confirmed/1100-6429620/

2919444-dvr.jpg

I had a feeling MS was going this way. There's an external tuner available for it already, but it appears to be a single OTA one. MS says that gaming performance is not compromised.

Too bad there's no cable card (or networked) option with multiple tuners. Perhaps that would affect gaming too much. If MS made something similar to a TiVo box without the monthly fee, I'd bet they sell well. Taking it out of a configurable PC environment and putting it in as a secondary, very limited app. on a gaming console so it won't affect frame-rates makes it unappealing at best.

I'm going to assume streaming of the DVR content to devices is out as transcoding on the fly would really affect game performance.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Aka, a grab for more money. if the initial products sell well enough, we will certainly see more to come. Cablecard seems inevitable, but i haven't looked at any technical limitations since I refuse to go cablecard.

The setup makes sense though, since WMC has probably seen limited adoption due to the complexity of setting it up as a DVR. This could be a a win-win for MS and its partners - potentially more product sales for all related devices. If any idiot can pay ~$600 and have a rather limited recording box, maybe they will do it. It's a big screw over for the technically inclined (but we will just keep using W7/W8 until they die). I doubt many people reading this forum fall into the "any idiot" camp, but some will try it just to tinker with it.

I'm pretty firmly in the "why the hell would I want to watch, let alone record TV on my overpriced gaming system with overpriced peripherals" camp.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It boggles the mind why they don't want to do a full court press on being able to have a full, multi-tuner, cable card ready device that can be hooked up to the XB1.
They could team up with Silicon dust, and have a viable product out in short order, than would put all cable DVRs to shame.
No need to transcode either, it can just be used as a front end.

Instead, they have this lame attempt using OTA.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
It boggles the mind why they don't want to do a full court press on being able to have a full, multi-tuner, cable card ready device that can be hooked up to the XB1.
They could team up with Silicon dust, and have a viable product out in short order, than would put all cable DVRs to shame.

I wonder too but I'm starting to think the loss of wmc and this xbone ota adapter is MS grand plan for the living room to maximize their profit. This way they cut out the middle man push you towards their hardware and their movie/TV rental service.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004

I blame the cable companies.