Microsoft's biggest conspiracy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I beileve Microsoft should put some anti-virus program into their operating system. I feel they should be required to keep a secure product, they have done so.

They have more than enough resources to prevent any bugs or security holes from ever slipping into their products, let alone to completely fix and patch all the problems after the product is released. However, they didn't want to. WHY?

So how do you know this? Do you work at Microsoft? Do you even know how to program? Are you still in High School? Are you even in college, are you even going to college?

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
I will also chock this up as a pretty stupid post. In fact, I want the time back I spent reading it. :)

VBboy

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Tabb
I beileve Microsoft should put some anti-virus program into their operating system. I feel they should be required to keep a secure product, they have done so.

They have more than enough resources to prevent any bugs or security holes from ever slipping into their products, let alone to completely fix and patch all the problems after the product is released. However, they didn't want to. WHY?

So how do you know this? Do you work at Microsoft? Do you even know how to program? Are you still in High School? Are you even in college, are you even going to college?

Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
Worked as a senior software engineer.
Now - a software quality assurance engineer.
Official Microsoft beta-tester for Windows XP, SP1, SP2, and Windows Update 5.

Read the release notes for SP2 to find out how tightly the new firewall is integrated into the OS before you become an immature cry-baby looking to bash someone.

AgentEL

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
Prevent any bugs?

As the software that MS produces gets more and more complex, the number of bugs will only increase. I don't know how you can say they have more than enough resources to prevent bugs or security holes. I'm sure their bug database is huge. And that will only include the bugs that have been found so far.

I think the expectation of any software to be "bug-free" is expecting way too much. If they were to wait until every single bug were eliminated from the code, the development time/cost would simply increase and time to market would increase as well.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
They have more than enough resources to prevent any bugs or security holes from ever slipping into their products, let alone to completely fix and patch all the problems after the product is released. However, they didn't want to.
Holy unsubstantiated conjecture Batman.

Not only is your entire premise flawed from the outset, viruses and trojan horses have little to do with "bugs". "Bugs" are security loopholes. The vast amount of the time viruses and trojan horses are executed by people too dumb to realize you do NOT want to run a *.SCR file that arrives from someone you don't know in your e-mail.

How's this: Why don't you try to release an OS containing a few tens of millions of lines of code to work on virtually any x86 computer configuration with backwards compatibility stretching over three or four technology generations. Let's see how bug-free your software is. And before people before talking up *nix, don't even try to pretend any flavour of that OS is bug-free either. There will always be bugs in huge software packages; get used to it.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: VBboy
Originally posted by: Tabb

Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
Worked as a senior software engineer.
Now - a software quality assurance engineer.
Official Microsoft beta-tester for Windows XP, SP1, SP2, and Windows Update 5.

Read the release notes for SP2 to find out how tightly the new firewall is integrated into the OS before you become an immature cry-baby looking to bash someone.

So what was your probation all about?