Microsoft Zune price drop

KPACOTKA

Oct 19, 2006
Maybe just can't compete with new line of iPods? I think MS will discontinue Zune.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: KPACOTKA
Maybe just can't compete with new line of iPods? I think MS will discontinue Zune.

yes, and apple dropped the iphone price because they can't compete with the rest of the market

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

heh it couldn't compete with the last line of ipods, its sales totally crashed a week or so after release. amazon.com sales ranks told the story, the zunes went from being on the top 10 to dropping off the chart.... by hundreds of spots for some models. the ipods held most of the top 10 slots:p

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

heh it couldn't compete with the last line of ipods, its sales totally crashed a week or so after release. amazon.com sales ranks told the story, the zunes went from being on the top 10 to dropping off the chart.... by hundreds of spots for some models. the ipods held most of the top 10 slots:p

I find it funny that everyone, for some reason, considered that Microsoft should jump out of the gate to immediately compete with the 6-year old iPod with their first product. When that obviously didn't happen, all the Apple zealots like to tell the story about how the Zune sales "crashed" after a week.

Atleast let Microsoft offer comparable models across the whole line for a couple of years before you start the comparisons. Will Microsoft be able to catch up in sales eventually? Highly doubtful. But is it stupid to compare a one-model 1st gen player to a 6-model (or however many) 6th or 7th-gen player? I think so.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Just look at the game consoles. I think most would agree that PS2 was easily better than the first xbox. Now, maybe would argue that the 360 is better than the Ps3

(for the record, I am a ps3 guy :) )

straubs

Jan 31, 2001
What's a Zune? Is that the thing that has something to do with squirting? Sounds awful. :p

Good price if someone was looking for a Zune.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
It's true that flash-based Zunes are on the horizon, soon.

But the Zune isn't THAT bad. Woot had them for $149 not too long ago.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: slayer202
Just look at the game consoles. I think most would agree that PS2 was easily better than the first xbox. Now, maybe would argue that the 360 is better than the Ps3

Well, I wouldnt. PS2 was a piece of shit.

But what this has to do with anything, I dont know:confused:

Zune actually wasnt to bad. The ipod was better, but not by much.

Is there any hacked firmware for it?

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. The PS2 was better by virtue of it expansive library and hometown (Japan) support, since the Japanese would never buy a foreign consol. The original Xbox was a much better machine in terms of hardware power and reliability (even with all those awful Thomsom drives). I heard 1/2 of all launch PS2s had to be serviced, and the build quality was less than stellar the first couple of years

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
xbox better than ps2? are you serious?

and to uli, my ps2 I got when they were first released is still running like a champ

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003

yes, and apple dropped the iphone price because they can't compete with the rest of the market
Clearly an informed opinion here. The iPhone definitely wasn't the best selling smartphone in July or anything.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
xbox better than ps2? are you serious?

and to uli, my ps2 I got when they were first released is still running like a champ

Yes, from a hardware point of view, the original xbox was much better than the ps2.

ps2: 295mhz cpu, 32mb ram, 147 mhz gpu, 4mb video ram.
Xbox: 733mhz P3, 64mb ram, 233 mhz nvidia gpu, 8gb hdd
(info gotten from repective wikipedia pages, you can find the links)

Though I do agree that the ps2 was a better consol, by virtue of its wide developer support and a library that has pretty much dwarfed any consol before or since.

The first build of the ps2 (30001, I believe) had almost a 50% hardware failure rate. I believe Sony had a class action suit a few years ago over it. But I think almost all of the 1st gen original xboxs have had problems with the dvd drives. I dont think it was until the 2 or 3rd build of the ps2 they got all the bugs worked out of it. In fact, I think the newer models of the fat ps2 and the slims have had very little problems other than some needing occasional laser realignments.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
to the OP, thanks for the info, sorry this is going so OT. I may look at one to replace my 3g 10gb ipod (unless I can find a decent priced apple closeout/refurb).

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: blurredvision
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

I find it funny that everyone, for some reason, considered that Microsoft should jump out of the gate to immediately compete with the 6-year old iPod with their first product. When that obviously didn't happen, all the Apple zealots like to tell the story about how the Zune sales "crashed" after a week.

Atleast let Microsoft offer comparable models across the whole line for a couple of years before you start the comparisons. Will Microsoft be able to catch up in sales eventually? Highly doubtful. But is it stupid to compare a one-model 1st gen player to a 6-model (or however many) 6th or 7th-gen player? I think so.

well, its not really that much of hurdle. its not really a headstart in this case as much as 6 years of letting someone else blaze the trail. catching up once someone else has done the innovation isn't hard, just look at chinas quick rise. microsoft with its massive resources only had its incompetence to blame for the failure of the zune. they chose to make silly decisions, they could have opened it to many more formats and beat apple at its game but instead they chose to focus on bending over for the music industry. they even paid preemptive royalties on each zune sold:p they aimed low and it showed. its not so much as they couldn't build a viable competitor to the ipod, its just that they wouldn't. much like how sony wouldn't because they choose to push their attrac format until they drove away all their customers:p

consoles are much harder, creating a developer base for software to support a console is a massive undertaking.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
I don't think MS cares that much about losing out in the digital music player industry. They don't actually seem to be taking so much of a loss on the Zunes.
It's just mostly the matter of getting their foot in the door. Maybe the next Zune will surprise all of us. Maybe they will fix the Zune with a new updated firmware that unlocks additional features and finally fixes the unicode problem.

iseestars

Jun 24, 2006
I bought one for $150 off woot. It rocks. So much less buggy than those stupid iPOS's and yes I had iPODs before. I sold my 30g and mini a while back and will never go back.

ForeStorm

Jan 10, 2007
I was going to get one off of Woot, but it was white. :p

Plus, myself, I didn't care too much for the button they had. :/

Nice price though! I might like it more now, haha.