Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 (OEM) $32 After $10 rebate

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Same here - I've had zero issues with WHS 2007, and I look being able to pool up 5 random hard drives. For me, the loss of drive extender ruins it, but the next version of Home server should have an even better version of drive extender.

really? linky please!

DerKaiser

Feb 12, 2002
You are one of the lucky ones. From http://www.mediasmarthome.com/artic...om-Windows-Home-Server-What-You-Need-to-Know/ :

"not everyone using a 64-bit OS will have restoration issues. Like a Windows installation disc, the Windows Home Server PC restore disc includes a wide variety of 32-bit drivers that supports a wide variety of PC hardware. If compatible drivers for your PCs essential hardware are included, you'll be just fine."

I was not so lucky. I had no problem restoring an old 32-bit Athlon era XP machine, but I had no luck restoring any modern dual-core 64-bit machines running Win7 pro.

I just did my first restore from WHS 1.1 yesterday. It did work on my 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, quad core modern machine, but it was definitely more of a hassle than it should have been. It seems like most people have problems with restoring because of Realtek driver issues. The funny thing is, Microsoft is aware of the issue, but IMO, the solution they recommend is quite kludgy. They should fix the issue with a patch or update.

txlonghorn

Jul 26, 2004
It seems like most people have problems with restoring because of Realtek driver issues. The funny thing is, Microsoft is aware of the issue, but IMO, the solution they recommend is quite kludgy. They should fix the issue with a patch or update.

Yup. That's the problem for me. I am pretty sure all my machines have Realtek Gigabit NIC. It is not like Realtek is a 3rd-tier company. It is a big name player. Thanks for the info. I may give that a try next time.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Does "family" in this case have a clear legal definition?

Try buying a family pack and if they ask for proof for a family, then maybe there is a definition for a "family". When you buy student software they ask for proof like student ID or school email. I bought a family pack and the only thing they asked is my credit card and shipping address. And I'm single! So is that piracy?

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
WHS is pretty much only useful as a home server for automated backups, NAS that sort of thing. It does have a desktop environment, however it isn't like Windows 7 despite its appearance. It is essentially Windows server 2008 r2 with some UI mods.

In any case, it would be a better decision to pay for W7 Home Premium for $60 more, if you are planning on using it for desktop tasks.

Source: My experience.

and isn't windows server 2008 available through dreamspark? I thought about jumping on this deal.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Pliz, I don't see how using the up to 3 users on the family pack is piracy. Whether its a friend or your mom. You basically pay for a 3 user upgrade license. 3 users. When you activate, I don't think microsoft asks whether your a friend or a daughter. Neither when you buy it. Unlike true specific, restrictions based software like for students and such.

Last edited:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
of course its piracy its the same thing as bringing your friend to dennys and ordering the family platter. you split the bill with your friend and you go to jail. duh.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
of course its piracy its the same thing as bringing your friend to dennys and ordering the family platter. you split the bill with your friend and you go to jail. duh.

I guess the wierdness and nutiness rules!