Info Microsoft will end Windows 10 support in October 2025

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
A little annoying. Sure, they started supporting 10 in 2015, but it took them years to make it functional / stable for most users. Not to mention how many times they've broken it with updates.

Reactions: Magic Carpet

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Seriously. I thought it would have been good for a few years longer.

I guess they will be pushing people to move to the next version then. It really should be an in place upgrade, otherwise tons of people will not upgrade to it and we'll have the same issues with people sticking to Win7 or XP ....

Reactions: pcgeek11

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Seriously. I thought it would have been good for a few years longer.

I guess they will be pushing people to move to the next version then. It really should be an in place upgrade, otherwise tons of people will not upgrade to it and we'll have the same issues with people sticking to Win7 or XP ....

Microsoft only did that because of the spyware. Granted, with Intel adding small cores maybe they will up the Spyware to 11 (heh)

Reactions: Chiefcrowe

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Wonder how many people only switched to 10 when they promised 10 would be the last Windows version? I honestly don't see myself paying much for an OS that forceably includes a store.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Wonder how many people only switched to 10 when they promised 10 would be the last Windows version? I honestly don't see myself paying much for an OS that forceably includes a store.
Eff the store. All the telemetry that I can no longer turn off because something now breaks - that's what bothers me.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

senturion

Jun 12, 2021
I'm sure they'll offer a free upgrade option, and that it'll run like Win 10 upgrades. One thing Microsoft did do well with Win 10 was they worked out a large majority of issues that come up with Windows upgrades. Back in the day, it was a joke to consider doing an in-place upgrade of XP to Vista, or Vista to 7. With 7 to 8.1 the upgrades started to get smoother, but the fact that your computer gets installed with a new OS (Windows 10 whatever latest version), and you keep almost all of your apps without needing to reinstall - that's pretty impressive.

I honestly hope that we get the option to have a more traditional start menu. Heck - give us more choices with how we decide to use the OS. Whether classic start menu, Win 10 style, Win 8 style, etc. Somebody prefers one more than the other. Why make us install a 3rd party app to do what could be done out of the box?

I actually miss the days of installing an OS, and staying on that OS for the next 5 years. No bi-annual OS upgrades to potentially break something. My 2 cents. I'd rather know that the current computer I have will be functioning as intended the entire time. Like I said, MS has done great work in improving the upgrade experience... but upgrading the OS to that capacity every 6 months seems a but much... why not every 18 months at least?

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I know what you mean... at least lately they seem to only have 1 major update per year. The 2nd being a minor one which is a pretty quick install. For example, 21H1 update was a 10 min or less upgrade.

I suppose if you have pro or enterprise you get much more support including 18 months for the major versions for enterprise. However, I think the home editions should be supported longer, esp. the major fall updates.

Reactions: senturion

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I remember seeing that 2025 end-of-support date for Win10 very early on in Win10's lifetime, but I assumed as all MS products have such a date in their database that so did Win10.

I wonder if Win10 being "the last version of Windows" was just an attempt to spur upgrades, otherwise many might have said "we might as well wait for the next one".

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
lol and the cycle continues. Get everyone on 10 only to want them to upgrade again.

My company is still working on the windows 10 upgrade from 7 and ironing out issues. MS does not seem to care or realize that these things are a very large undertaking by companies and it's crazy to keep expecting them to do it.

10 was suppose to be a rolling release I guess that's not working out and could be why it has so many issues with updates breaking stuff?

senturion

Jun 12, 2021
I know what you mean... at least lately they seem to only have 1 major update per year. The 2nd being a minor one which is a pretty quick install. For example, 21H1 update was a 10 min or less upgrade.

I suppose if you have pro or enterprise you get much more support including 18 months for the major versions for enterprise. However, I think the home editions should be supported longer, esp. the major fall updates.

Yeah, at my org we use enterprise. MS had recently announced that as of the 1909 editions that you'll get 30 months of support on all the "09" versions (or now the H2 versions I suppose). And now they EOL Win 10 by 2025 anyway.

I'd be curious as to what they announce for future upgrades on Win 11. Hoping they'll slow down their upgrade cycle.