News Microsoft will bid farewell to Internet Explorer and legacy Edge in 2021

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, not only that enterprise stuff that runs on IE, a LOT of consumer routers, at least, ones made 5 years or more ago, ONLY seem to work correctly (config menus) on IE. Not Chrome, not Firefox. (Original Edge didn't exist back then.)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've actually been playing around using Edge the last few days, and it's not bad at all when configured right. It's pretty speedy as well. Now that it supports Chrome extensions, the barren wasteland of an app store really isn't an issue anymore as well.

However, there was one thing that reminded me why Microsoft can't keep out of its own way. To sync up my bookmarks and passwords, you have to sign into your Microsoft account. Not that big of deal, as you do the same thing with Google Chrome. However, when I restarted my PC to install an update, I noticed Microsoft took the liberty to change my local login to logging in with the Microsoft account.

For this fact alone, I will likely just stay with Chrome. I want to keep my login as a local account, and since they can't even let you sync stuff like favories in a web browser without messing with the Windows login, I say no thanks.

Last edited: