Article Microsoft will begin forced upgrades of Windows 10 for some users this month

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
they force update reboots anyway... no way to stop them now.
( unless you pull the ethernet cable out - or turn off updates )

The last update ( to my 2004 ) removed the

" delay updates for 7 days "
for Pre-assigned dates.

( go look )

I need a 24/7 uptime on one of my computers for security cameras.
The latest date I could take was Jan 7th.

I think I need to buy another router now.
Just to keep this computer off the internet.
( need to figure out if the router I have can turn off internet to one port )

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
M$, its not your operating system, but our. We charge to allow you to use it when we want to let you to use it.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I am happy i am still using windows 7. No one can force me to upgrade.

Technically, unless you disconnect your machine from the Internet, Microsoft could do it if they wanted to.

You don't own Windows, but rather you just have a license to use it. And, technically there isn't anything in those license terms that prevents Microsoft from force-upgrading you if they wanted. They apparently had actual plans to do that at one point and in fact "accidentally" did it to a significant number of people on more than one occasion before they finally backed down. I always suspected those "accidental" forced upgrades were secretly a test of what would happen if they did try to force the issue. They just didn't get the results they were expecting to, and thus abandoned those plans. Otherwise, why would they waste resources building that capability into their software that they didn't have intent to use?

They are leaving you (and me, as I still have a Win7 machine myself) alone now because they know you'll eventually have to upgrade (either when your system hardware becomes obsolete - new hardware doesn't support it, or if you want to run software that won't run on Win7 - more likely).

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
They are leaving you (and me, as I still have a Win7 machine myself) alone now because they know you'll eventually have to upgrade (either when your system hardware becomes obsolete - new hardware doesn't support it, or if you want to run software that won't run on Win7 - more likely).
Or: software that exploits known security vulnerabilities of Win 7 finds its way to your systems. M$ is not the only party that has financial interests.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Or: software that exploits known security vulnerabilities of Win 7 finds its way to your systems. M$ is not the only party that has financial interests.
It took me very long time to switch from Win xp to win 7 and nothing happened during that time it was not supported. I am not even running antivirus program on this computer and not seeing any issue with it. In all honestly i am not worry about security vulnerabilities impacting. me.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It took me very long time to switch from Win xp to win 7 and nothing happened during that time it was not supported. I am not even running antivirus program on this computer and not seeing any issue with it. In all honestly i am not worry about security vulnerabilities impacting. me.
To each their own.

I personally wouldn't keep an using a machine connected to the internet with OS not receiving any security updates/fixes anymore.