News Microsoft Testing Windows 10 Feature That'll Detect If Your SSD Is Failing

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I think this is a hugely important new feature, great news!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Big freaking deal. They finally seem to be getting around to adding SMART support for NVMe devices. About time.

I had a client on Win7 once, that .. the OS itself was telling the user, in no uncertain terms, to back up and replace the HDD.

Apparently, that's what happens when SMART triggers. Thankfully, the drive was still good, just "old age", pretty-much. I was able to use Windows 7's Windows Image Backup feature to backup the system to a portable HDD, after burning a bootable recovery DVD, and then physically swap in a shiny new 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM HDD (the original came with the PC, and it was a WD Blue 320GB HDD), and then booted the recovery DVD and restored the system image from the portable HDD. Easy and straightforward, although it did take a few hours total for the data to transfer back and forth.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Heh, how about an OS feature where it quits writing incessantly to the drive?

Anybody remember back when you could run Win95 with 64MB memory and the HDD WENT TO SLEEP from 10 minutes of inactivity( ! while you were still using an app, not idle) yet today with tens of GB memory, multiple writes every few seconds.

Reactions: PingSpike
Feb 4, 2009
Heh, how about an OS feature where it quits writing incessantly to the drive?

Anybody remember back when you could run Win95 with 64MB memory and the HDD WENT TO SLEEP from 10 minutes of inactivity( ! while you were still using an app, not idle) yet today with tens of GB memory, multiple writes every few seconds.

I sort of remember this happening with my gateway machine
Hard drive wouldn’t continually spin
I forgot about this and never thought about it at the time.
Excellent point

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I agree, it is about time this was built in to windows.

This made me laugh "Heh, how about an OS feature where it quits writing incessantly to the drive? "

I certainly hope that makes it to the next OS release!

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ One option for semi-modern windows seems to be something like Win7 Embedded with a write filter, at least I assume Win7 Embedded has one because XP Embedded did. Then again maybe MS did away with it because these days it's more likely it'd be running off an SSD rather than a flash card... but maybe the industry wasn't there yet at the time of Win7 development.

Hmm, I wonder if there's some way to frankenstein together the write filter from embedded Win7 with a regular Win7 distro.

There's probably a Win10 Embedded now, seems to be a Win10 IoT something or other too.

Last edited: