Microsoft "software choice" fraud?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Valinos

Banned
Jun 6, 2001
Originally posted by: AmusedOne
I agree with nik.

There ARE choices. The anti-MS crowd is pissed not because the choices aren't valid or functional, but because the choices are not popular. They are pissed because MS is popular and blame MS's popularity on MS.

It seems to be hip to hate whatever is on top. Be it MS, AOL, Intel etc...

Well, you gotta admit, AOL really does suck. We may be living in the Time Warner States of America some day...They do control almost all media outlets, remember that.

Valinos

Banned
Jun 6, 2001
Originally posted by: lirion
Originally posted by: IcemanJer
Originally posted by: lirion
Nope. Until a year or two ago in my hometown there was a McDonald's, and nothing else. The next closest fastfood place was a half hour's drive away. I don't have a car. If I wanted fastfood, it was McDonald's, or nothing at all. It's exactly the same.
Okay, sure, that is the same. I didn't know you only have a McDonald's. I just meant that in the fast-food industry, there are many players, like at our local shopping plaza there's Wendy's and across the street is McDonald's, and they have to compete with each other for customers (but then again I don't like either so I just go to KFC one block down :)).

Okay, sure, that is the same. I didn't know you only have Microsoft. I just meant that in the computer industry, there are many players, like at our local shopping plaza there's Mac and across the street is Unix, and they have to compete with each other for customers (but then again I don't like either so I just go to FreeBSD one block down :))

Negative. That is NOT the same. Just because he lives in a podunk town with less than 10,000 people, does not mean McDonald's is a monopoly in his area. McDonald's is one of the few chains that decides to build a restaurant in every town in the U.S., but if Burger King wanted to move in beside them they could, and they'd still have a great chance of hurting McDonald's business. Other fast food chains have the option of moving to his area and competing with McDonald's directly. It is not as if McDonald's can say, "No, we can't let the town of BFE have any other fast food restaurant other than McDonald's, and if you let another in, we will cut our prices in half to destroy all competition in the area."

The fact is, Mcdonald's does not have a monopoly over your town and every other business has the chance to move in and compete with them. Your analogy is crap.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Not really, just Windows rip offs. I hate the toolbar at the bottom just sitting there floating and the one on the side. Thats all personal preferences though.

And MS ripped their gui from Apple, right? Whats the difference?

While the case was going on, I read transcripts weekly. I kept tabs on many of the briefs submitted to the case. Of course, Ive read the rulings a few times. There is NOBODY who can sit and look at all the evidence and not see what MS has done wrong. Its a mountain of evidence, and they dont even try to hide it.

For all those that argue against MS having a monopoly, have any of you done the above? Actually read the transcripts of the case? Or do you just talk from your asses?