Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad @ compgeeks for $4.95

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
This is a decent find. I have actually been there before and seen this. The only down side which is why I did not buy it, is that gamepad is not USB, which kinda sucks. The best cheapest place I have found to get the USB is buy.com. They have it for $19.95 or somethin.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
pc's have this magical port dedicated to game devices called the gameport. :p
not everyone likes having tons of usb devices connected to their comps.

i bought 8 of these gamepads from compgeeks a few months ago because they rock, they can be daisy chained, and they are not usb. :)

cLiPLiK

Apr 20, 2001
can anyone who registered tell me shipping?
don't wanna put in all info just to find that out!

HKSusa

Jan 2, 2001
Oh crap! I just bought one of these at buy.com for 10bux and 6bux shipping :(
I heard nothing but good thing about these pads. I cant wait to get it :)

cremefilled

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2000
compgeeks allows you to check out shipping costs by just entering in your zip code and shipping method. If wish every site made it that easy.

Their shipping costs are usually quite reasonable, and appear to closely correspond with the actual UPS charges.

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000

<< I would buy it if they had free shipping, but $6.00 for shipping is too much. >>

The key to these cheap deals is to buy something more than a $5 item. Otherwise shipping will kill you. Do you really expect Geeks to sell you something for $5 and then give you free shipping, which means their profit is virtually nil? If you haven't shipped anthing lately, you don't realize how much is costs. Just about the minimum shipping charge at UPS is around $5. Even USPS charges around $3. Add the cost of shipping materials, box and stuff, and they would be losing money on a $5 item. Come on people, get real.

OrlandoTiger

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
will this sidewinder work in XP? I couldnt find that out by looking on the MS site... (one of my favorite mazes to try to find something on the net)

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
I have a four year old MS sidewinder game pad and it works fine in XP connected to the gameport on my SB Live. I did have to go to Control Panel, game controllers and choose MS Sidewinder autodect. After a minute or so, the device was ready for use.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
Besides the fact that most laptops dont have gameports and this would be great if it was in usb...what other reasons would u want this joystick in usb form... im being serious here because i want to know..what is it, more responsive?