[Microsoft] New CPUs will require Windows 10

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
It's a free upgrade. Ironically, it'll stop working as soon as you install a new CPU because it's only authorized for that specific system.
CPU or motherboard? Because switching a different CPU, HDD, RAM or GPU on the same motherboard shouldn't trigger re-activation.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah unfortunately. If I wanted a phone without Google, I'd just install Cyanogenmod with F-droid.
You can hack/mod even a stock rom, all you need is root access. That's how I use my Droid. Killed the Google Services completely (takes the cake in telemetry and home calling department), other logging "features" my phone came with. Takes quite a bit of work, but it's doable. Some people say everybody does logging these days, so it's okay? No, that's not, two wrongs don't make a right.

So if I need an app, I just install it from my personal "Google Play store". I own my device. I decide, whether certain app needs an update or not. Same with Windows, iOS or whatever electronic device I have to use.

Wanted to play with Ubuntu Phone but haven't got around to it yet. Anybody toy with it?

But how soon can we see Nokia smartphones in the retail stores again? The company reminds us that it is contractually obligated from making, selling, or designing phones until Q4 2016. "The soonest that could happen is Q4 2016 -- so it’s safe to say Nokia won’t be back (at least in phone form...) before then".

Here's a theory: with Microsoft letting go more than 7,000 ex-Nokia employees, the Finnish company could hire and bring them on board to design phones again.

Last edited:

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Why run an ancient OS on new hardware when its free to use 10.

Windows 10 is not free. I have two Windows 7 Pro computers that failed to "upgrade" to Windows 10. Microsoft's response: "Sorry, there's a problem".
The End. Now, one of the Win7 computers now cannot receive Windows Updates. No apparent solution for that either.

I will make every effort to leave Microsoft behind in the future, they suck rocks.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Windows 10 is not free. I have two Windows 7 Pro computers that failed to "upgrade" to Windows 10. Microsoft's response: "Sorry, there's a problem".
The End. Now, one of the Win7 computers now cannot receive Windows Updates. No apparent solution for that either.

I will make every effort to leave Microsoft behind in the future, they suck rocks.

You can use 7/8.1 keys in Windows 10 clean install after the 1511 update as far as I know.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...se-windows-7-8-or-8-1-product-key-to-activate

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
The problem with "Windows 10 Free Upgrade" in my field experience has been this:

There are often problems with bad drivers and other bits and pieces not fully supported. Even though Windows 10 supports a wide range of older video cards (some generic Microsoft driver) most of them work slower vs native and as such, performance of a video card can seriously degrade and/or lose some features (e.g. some AMD cards). So ideally, you want a recent computer for this system to perform as it was designed and getting maximum out of your hardware. Personally, I'd leave an older computer with Windows 7 SP1 and call it a day until 2020.

Microsoft could of gone one extra mile and offered a complimentary Windows 10 device along with it. Now that would be a special touch :D

Last edited: