[Microsoft] New CPUs will require Windows 10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
I would like to know how many of the PCs still running XP SP3(2008) when support ended (2014) were using newer CPUs, like let's say 2010+

I can imagine there's quite a few chugging along in academia and industry. Due to some quirks in our acquisition policy at the university, there's only a handful of models from a single provider (Dell) we can purchase for use in the lab. After the ancient system that had been running our Agilent 1100 series HPLC went down, our cheapest replacement system option was rocking a 2600k with 8 (or maybe 12) gigs of ram! Yet there it was, slogging through XP and running 16 bit software/ I only just managed to get everything upgraded to a modern version and Windows 7 within the last few months. Coincidentally the automated fraction collector started working again after the upgrade, huzzahs for mechanical lab slaves! Now that I think about it, I'd actually be super curious of just how much faster that system was compared to the Pentium 4 it replaced when it comes 16 bit applications.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
I can imagine there's quite a few chugging along in academia and industry. Due to some quirks in our acquisition policy at the university, there's only a handful of models from a single provider (Dell) we can purchase for use in the lab. After the ancient system that had been running our Agilent 1100 series HPLC went down, our cheapest replacement system option was rocking a 2600k with 8 (or maybe 12) gigs of ram! Yet there it was, slogging through XP and running 16 bit software/ I only just managed to get everything upgraded to a modern version and Windows 7 within the last few months. Coincidentally the automated fraction collector started working again after the upgrade, huzzahs for mechanical lab slaves! Now that I think about it, I'd actually be super curious of just how much faster that system was compared to the Pentium 4 it replaced when it comes 16 bit applications.

Yup, many XP boxes are just appliances that support systems waaaay more important than they are.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I already known at least one guy who got a huge phone bill from tethering it to a laptop because Win10 with it's all-knowing wisdom says "who needs to turn off auto updates when there's no such thing in this world as a data capped Internet connection?" :D

The arrogance from MS is astounding.

Your friend is not very smart, and unfortunately, you're not much smarter.

Windows 10 (and 8/8.1) can mark a connection as Metered and will not download updates on it. The catch is you must explicitly tell Windows this, as all Wi-Fi networks look the whether its a phone or router.

Vortex6700

Apr 12, 2015
Your friend is not very smart, and unfortunately, you're not much smarter.

Windows 10 (and 8/8.1) can mark a connection as Metered and will not download updates on it. The catch is you must explicitly tell Windows this, as all Wi-Fi networks look the whether its a phone or router.

Or maybe it could default to only downloading updates on the home connection.

If I were to at once opt out of everything people on this forum defend for being something you can opt out of, it would take well over 8 hours (windows 10 being 2 of those hours).

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
And skylake is given 18 months to comply

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/

Through July 17, 2017, Skylake devices on the supported list will also be supported with Windows 7 and 8.1. During the 18-month support period, these systems should be upgraded to Windows 10 to continue receiving support after the period ends. After July 2017, the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ers-given-18-months-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Except for the spyware, drivers that dont work, and MS trying to tie every "app" to the windows store. I actually prefer Win 7 by a large margin over win 10, and only very reluctantly upgraded because of DX 12.0. Get off my lawn!!

If you think Windows 7 is without telemetric? Hah.

Also I assume you dont use any google, facebook or apple services either, including phones? Else its just a terrible excuse.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Windows 10 have reached around 20% in the enterprise. So MS is pushing hard now to get the last 80% moving. Its smaller companies rather than bigger companies that is behind the curve. 1½ year should be enough for those.

Apple have had a huge success keeping everyone on the same page. And it will only benefit everyone if Windows gets there as well.

Office 2016 for Mac requires Yosemite for example.

Aug 11, 2008
If you think Windows 7 is without telemetric? Hah.

Also I assume you dont use any google, facebook or apple services either, including phones? Else its just a terrible excuse.

Well, at least win 7 does not put a new picture on my PC every night and ask me if I like it. And it doesnt use 30% cpu idling at desktop unless I manually turn off certain processes. And it doesnt try to send me to the windows store if i try to do something as simple as make a sound recording.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Well, at least win 7 does not put a new picture on my PC every night and ask me if I like it. And it doesnt use 30% cpu idling at desktop unless I manually turn off certain processes. And it doesnt try to send me to the windows store if i try to do something as simple as make a sound recording.

Windows 10 dont use 30% CPU in idle. It uses 0-1% at 800mhz for me on my 6700K and 0-2% at 500Mhz on my 6100U.

nvgpu

Sep 12, 2014
http://www.infoworld.com/blog/woody-on-windows

Windows 10 is extremely buggy and Microsoft can't even patch things without breaking stuff, just look at the endless amount of botched patches that leaves systems unusable unless you uninstall the patch that broke things.

One can only hope Redstone RS1 in June and RS2 update in November(assuming MS is doing it just like TH1 and TH2 last year) will be less buggy, but I wouldn't hold my breath when it comes to MS & Windows.

Aug 11, 2008
Windows 10 dont use 30% CPU in idle. It uses 0-1% at 800mhz for me on my 6700K and 0-2% at 500Mhz on my 6100U.

Shintai, are you calling me a liar in order to defend MS? I could send you a screenshot of task manager, but it isnt worth the trouble. It is a bug in the raid drivers that occurs every time the computer restarts. If I try to update,it says the drivers are already updated. I can solve the problem by manually turning off the IRST process, but every time I restart the computer, I have to turn it off again manually. Honestly, i didnt make it up just to be able to say something bad about MS. I actually used to defend MS from a lot of the haters, but I certainly dont do so any more.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it has borked my wireless wake from sleep setting on numerous updates, including the last one.

Actually, I had far fewer problems with the much maligned Vista than I have had with win10.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Shintai, are you calling me a liar in order to defend MS? I could send you a screenshot of task manager, but it isnt worth the trouble. It is a bug in the raid drivers that occurs every time the computer restarts. If I try to update,it says the drivers are already updated. I can solve the problem by manually turning off the IRST process, but every time I restart the computer, I have to turn it off again manually. Honestly, i didnt make it up just to be able to say something bad about MS. I actually used to defend MS from a lot of the haters, but I certainly dont do so any more.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it has borked my wireless wake from sleep setting on numerous updates, including the last one.

Actually, I had far fewer problems with the much maligned Vista than I have had with win10.

No. I could ask you if you are calling me a liar for not seeing the same! The 2 most common is TIWorker aka TrustedInstaller on Windows 7 and the usual .net generation. Larry had a thread about the same.

I can show you 30% idle in Windows 7 on an i5 4670. It just doesn't make it any right.

If you got a broken driver, then deal with it and not the OS.

Remember your own post:

And it doesnt use 30% cpu idling at desktop unless I manually turn off certain processes.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Windows 10 have reached around 20% in the enterprise. So MS is pushing hard now to get the last 80% moving. Its smaller companies rather than bigger companies that is behind the curve. 1½ year should be enough for those.

Apple have had a huge success keeping everyone on the same page. And it will only benefit everyone if Windows gets there as well.

Well, in the absence of an actual need-based eco-system(due to a halt in generational performance on chips), I suppose this is ONE way to keep the gears grinding.
Suppose an Wintel alliance, going "free lunch" with windows is about as clever as it gets. No proof, not citation, just .. coincidence right?

Aug 11, 2008
No. I could ask you if you are calling me a liar for not seeing the same! The 2 most common is TIWorker aka TrustedInstaller on Windows 7 and the usual .net generation. Larry had a thread about the same.

I can show you 30% idle in Windows 7 on an i5 4670. It just doesn't make it any right.

If you got a broken driver, then deal with it and not the OS.

Remember your own post:

No, because we have different computers. It is very simple. There is a driver problem with win 10 and my computer which yours does not have. I have raid 0, and one of the drivers for this causes 30% cpu usage at idle unless i manually turn it off. If I turn it off (stop the process in task manager) cpu usage drops to near zero as it should be. This does not happen with win 7. I dont know why you find this so hard to believe, or think for some reason I am making it up. If you examine my posts, you will see that I am certainly not one of the intel/MS haters crowd. But I do accept that they can put out less than perfect products. I am done with this. If you think I cannot read task manager or know when my computer is slowing down, or simply made it up for some unfathomable reason, then I am through arguing with you. BTW, it is not just a false reading. I discovered the problem while playing W3 and noticing the game was running extremely poorly with very high cpu usage.

Edit: and believe me, I have spent hours and hours trying to "deal with it" as you say by finding an updated driver, but without success, and the computer says the drivers are all up to date.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
No, because we have different computers. It is very simple. There is a driver problem with win 10 and my computer which yours does not have. I have raid 0, and one of the drivers for this causes 30% cpu usage at idle unless i manually turn it off. If I turn it off (stop the process in task manager) cpu usage drops to near zero as it should be. This does not happen with win 7. I dont know why you find this so hard to believe, or think for some reason I am making it up. If you examine my posts, you will see that I am certainly not one of the intel/MS haters crowd. But I do accept that they can put out less than perfect products. I am done with this. If you think I cannot read task manager or know when my computer is slowing down, or simply made it up for some unfathomable reason, then I am through arguing with you. BTW, it is not just a false reading. I discovered the problem while playing W3 and noticing the game was running extremely poorly with very high cpu usage.

All I said was:

What you forgot is your specific PC and perhaps only that PC uses 30% in idle when X hardware is mixed with Y driver on Windows 10.

I can try help you with it if you wish.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Dont want to derail the thread, but it is a known issue. Apparently others are having the same problem, and are having difficulty solving it. Here is a link to a large thread about it, but I dont see any posts with a clear answer.

cpu usage link

The program causing high usage on my machine is the IAStorDataSvc. I can manually turn it off without causing apparent problems, but I do get a message that Intel Rapid Storage technology is turned off. I am afraid to turn it off in start-up because it could be involved with boot-up. Every time I restart, the program starts up again, and I have to go in and turn it off manually.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I would like to know how many of the PCs still running XP SP3(2008) when support ended (2014) were using newer CPUs, like let's say 2010+
Until last week, I still had 2 PC's running windows 2000, and 9 winning windows XP. and 3 running windows 7. I redid on of the win2k boxes last week to XP.

EDIT: and my work laptop was win XP until early 2015, and there are 10's of thousands at my company still on win XP, and hundreds of servers still on server 2003.

Last edited:

386DX

Feb 11, 2010

Working in an enterprise environment I can tell you that if you're not aware of the situation you're not doing your job properly. For some reason people still think that Windows 7 is a modern OS when its essentially been not sold in retail for over 2 years and in OEM systems for over a year. The last straw will be this October when even downgrade rights will be disallowed that means enterprise can not acquire anymore Win 7 licenses period. As Skylake came out well after Win 7 couldn't be sold by retailers or OEMs there's little reason for MS to "officially" support it. There are a few Skylake systems with Win 7 via downgrade rights but those would not be consumer oriented systems but business machines and MS has pretty much identified and covered them in the support statement. People need to move on and not live in the pass, Win 10 is the future of Windows and if you don't like it you are free to run your Linux.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
While technically true that DOS won't take advantage of C4 states, AVX, or CPU frequency changes, that doesn't stop userland programs from doing so since DOS is just a thin membrane between userland software and the bare hardware.
Is Windows [78A] so thick that an application -- that has been written and compiled to use AVX instructions -- cannot execute?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I'm gonna spend $$ on new high tech hardware

......and put an ancient OS on it because I'm cheap.....

GIF-Happy-Troll-GIF.gif

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Until last week, I still had 2 PC's running windows 2000, and 9 winning windows XP. and 3 running windows 7. I redid on of the win2k boxes last week to XP.

EDIT: and my work laptop was win XP until early 2015, and there are 10's of thousands at my company still on win XP, and hundreds of servers still on server 2003.

Wow, that seems pretty irresponsible for a company to use such out of date software :eek:

I wouldn't touch Windows XP with a ten foot pole. That OS has so many security vulnerabilities, even compared to Windows 7..

If using old and out of date software is still that prevalent in the corporate sector, then it's no wonder companies get hacked so often..

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Its like claiming Apple is trying to kill OSX and the Mac.

Apple doesn't force updates on you, not to mention all the other stunts MS is trying to pull with 10. Who knows what else MS will do? Will they 'update' your PC to a version that no longer works making your PC a brick? I kind of feel like there's another shoe to drop when it comes to 10, and this is only the beginning.

This is just another argument to stick with what you have on 7, and not buy any PC at all.

Mar 10, 2006
Apple doesn't force updates on you, not to mention all the other stunts MS is trying to pull with 10. Who knows what else MS will do? Will they 'update' your PC to a version that no longer works making your PC a brick? I kind of feel like there's another shoe to drop when it comes to 10, and this is only the beginning.

This is just another argument to stick with what you have on 7, and not buy any PC at all.

People can always buy Macs! :)