[Microsoft] New CPUs will require Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Technically, DOS doesn't support those features. The program running on DOS can though. eg sound chips during the DOS days. Each game had its own audio driver for each chip. No OS support whatsoever. Looking back, it was rather insane: instead of programming to a standard audio interface provided by an OS, each game had to deal not only with its own audio interface, but drive the audio hardware directly. The same could be said for video, although video was quite a bit easier to deal with.

Totally agree. DOS was really a pretty funny world. It was back in the day when PCs were far more homogeneous. It really wasn't until windows 95/NT that things started to become way more sane. Though it is pretty horrifying to think that we ran in a world where ring 0 access was combined with internet access.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Is Microsoft trying to kill the PC? I think they are.

Forget about AMD, Intel might be screwed.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
It's a free upgrade. Ironically, it'll stop working as soon as you install a new CPU because it's only authorized for that specific system.

That's not true. I've already upgraded my CPU and it transfers just fine. As long as it wasn't a prebuilt OEM copy, you can transfer the licence as many times as you like, but it is only good for 1 PC at a time.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
This happened to me recently, after I upgraded to a X99 system. My free Windows 10 upgrade was wiped out..

To Microsoft's credit though, they replaced that key with a brand new Windows 10 Pro key (retail too), but I had to sacrifice my old Windows 8.1 Pro retail key (the one I originally used to upgrade to Windows 10) in exchange..

I had no problem doing this, as I'll never use Windows 8.1 Pro again..

That's the thing, you are allowed to use 1 PC with any licence. You don't get to keep your old Win 7 copy on 1 machine (or even dual boot) while using Win 10, but you can transfer it around to any upgrade as many times as you like.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
That's the thing, you are allowed to use 1 PC with any licence. You don't get to keep your old Win 7 copy on 1 machine (or even dual boot) while using Win 10, but you can transfer it around to any upgrade as many times as you like.

Is this automatic though, or did you have to contact Microsoft? Because for me I had to contact Microsoft to transfer my old Windows 8.1 pro retail key to Windows 10 Pro.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
This. Who has a smartphone and actively uses it? (I don't). Google and Apple thank you for your data!

Is that the kinda logic that goes; two wrongs make a right?
I own an android phone and it is only used for very specific things, never banking, purchasing, shopping whatnot .. oh and running Orweb ofc for those moments you want private.

The amount of times I've heard something along the lines of "Why am i getting these ads, its soo annoying" .. well, that what happens when you search for marriage counseling or big black dildos on google. The ignorance.

Mar 10, 2006
The amount of times I've heard something along the lines of "Why am i getting these ads, its soo annoying" .. well, that what happens when you search for marriage counseling or big black dildos on google. The ignorance.

ROFL!

Aug 11, 2008
If you run win7/8.1 it is.

Except for the spyware, drivers that dont work, and MS trying to tie every "app" to the windows store. I actually prefer Win 7 by a large margin over win 10, and only very reluctantly upgraded because of DX 12.0. Get off my lawn!!

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Is this automatic though, or did you have to contact Microsoft? Because for me I had to contact Microsoft to transfer my old Windows 8.1 pro retail key to Windows 10 Pro.

It was automatic this time, but I have at times had to call MS in the past. If I transfer it from one PC to a completely new one, that has always required me to call them. If I upgrade major parts of the PC, then it can go either way.

Edit: Actually, the last time I transferred it to a new PC, I used some transfer protocol which made it work without a call.

Last edited:

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Technically, DOS doesn't support those features. The program running on DOS can though. eg sound chips during the DOS days. Each game had its own audio driver for each chip. No OS support whatsoever. Looking back, it was rather insane: instead of programming to a standard audio interface provided by an OS, each game had to deal not only with its own audio interface, but drive the audio hardware directly. The same could be said for video, although video was quite a bit easier to deal with.

Yeah, I can't imagine how frustrating it had to be to juggle support for sound hardware in those days. Especially when you consider how wide of a gamut there was from the more robust ISA cards to the Speech Thing/Sound source LPT port oddities.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Is that the kinda logic that goes; two wrongs make a right?
I own an android phone and it is only used for very specific things, never banking, purchasing, shopping whatnot .. oh and running Orweb ofc for those moments you want private.

And unless that android is running a patch version of Marshmallow it can likely be cracked wide open, so its never going to be private.

EDIT: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9964/microsoft-to-only-support-new-processors-on-windows-10

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Is Microsoft trying to kill the PC? I think they are.

Forget about AMD, Intel might be screwed.

I already known at least one guy who got a huge phone bill from tethering it to a laptop because Win10 with it's all-knowing wisdom says "who needs to turn off auto updates when there's no such thing in this world as a data capped Internet connection?" :D

The arrogance from MS is astounding.

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
it doesn't make sense because MS is supporting 7 until 2020,
it would make sense to drop support for new CPUs in 2020, not now.

with XP I don't remember such restrictions, I think up until ivy bridge it all worked perfectly

Last edited:

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
it doesn't make sense because MS is supporting 7 until 2020,
it would make sense to drop support for new CPUs in 2020, not now.

with XP I don't remember such restrictions, I think up until ivy bridge it all worked perfectly

MS doesn't want another decade of 7 creaking along, it still hasn't exterminated XP. It makes sense to run a single common core for the OS not having three different OSs to maintain.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Well at least they won't have to worry too much about users limping along on Windows 8/8.1. Honestly I don't mind Windows 10 at all, in fact it's quite slick on my convertible, but I just can't use it at home until a viable Windows Media Center alternative comes around since my cablecard tuner is useless without it and I don't have a single set top box in the house. I know Silicondust is working on this and some people have managed to get WMC installed on 10, but Silicondust's beta software still doesn't support DRM management (which in my local market is a killer) and the WMC transplant was still an unstable hackjob the last time I checked. Thankfully, it seems like this situation will get cleared up quite a ways before 7's age catches up with it.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
MS doesn't want another decade of 7 creaking along, it still hasn't exterminated XP. It makes sense to run a single common core for the OS not having three different OSs to maintain.

I would like to know how many of the PCs still running XP SP3(2008) when support ended (2014) were using newer CPUs, like let's say 2010+

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
The arrogance from MS is astounding.
The arrogance of everybody on that coast is astounding. Mozilla devs -- now, there's arrogance.

Heck, people from the West coast think that everyone has high connection speeds.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Read the title. New CPUs will require Windows 10.

Really?

So new Intel CPUs require Windows 10. They won't work without it.

I read it as Microsoft isn't supporting new CPUs on older versions of Windows. Which makes this a Windows issue and not a CPU issue for the ADF.

Last edited:

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I would like to know how many of the PCs still running XP SP3(2008) when support ended (2014) were using newer CPUs, like let's say 2010+

Depends on what PCs. The ones sold at Best Buy with 2010+ hardware were likely all 7 or possibly Vista. In the corporate world I would imagine there were many PCs sold in 2010 and then imaged with SP3. Not all enterprise customers switched to Vista, and even a well received update like 7 can take year before companies with a large number of systems switch to a new OS.