[Microsoft] New CPUs will require Windows 10

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-updates-support-policy-new-cpus-will-require-windows-10/

"Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support... Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel's upcoming "Kaby Lake" silicon, Qualcomm's upcoming "8996" silicon, and AMD's upcoming "Bristol Ridge" silicon."

"For enterprise customers that want to buy "future proof" new hardware based on Skylake processors running older Windows versions, Microsoft will publish "a list of specific new Skylake devices we will support to run Windows 7 and Windows 8.1."

Even if you build yourself, will there be any fresh new drivers for creaky old 7? I haven't seen Microsoft being this pushy before.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Microsoft said last week that you run Windows 7 on your own risk.

Move to 10 or get left behind for good I guess. But I cant see the problem. Why run an ancient OS on new hardware when its free to use 10.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Hey, you could probably run WIN 3.1 or something on a comupter.

Your results will vary of course.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Why run an ancient OS on new hardware when its free to use 10.

Dude. First law of the Universe.

1. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Windows 10 is not free, you are paying deerly for it. I have come to understand that most ppl dont really understand how expensive such a free lunch is - and it saddens me.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Even if you build yourself, will there be any fresh new drivers for creaky old 7? I haven't seen Microsoft being this pushy before.

They're pulling and apple. All your data, your soul, kids and mothers maiden name is now 'belong to microsoft'. You did read the TOS right?

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
It's a free upgrade. Ironically, it'll stop working as soon as you install a new CPU because it's only authorized for that specific system.

This happened to me recently, after I upgraded to a X99 system. My free Windows 10 upgrade was wiped out..

To Microsoft's credit though, they replaced that key with a brand new Windows 10 Pro key (retail too), but I had to sacrifice my old Windows 8.1 Pro retail key (the one I originally used to upgrade to Windows 10) in exchange..

I had no problem doing this, as I'll never use Windows 8.1 Pro again..

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Dude. First law of the Universe.

1. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Windows 10 is not free, you are paying deerly for it. I have come to understand that most ppl dont really understand how expensive such a free lunch is - and it saddens me.

I can't agree with this more. Nowhere is this line of thinking more prevalent than in f2p games. People will defend absolutely ANYTHING by claiming the game is free, even if they have spent several times more than what the game would have retailed for.

Dealing with these people are incredibly infuriating.

I have turned off all the data mining I could in the privacy settings, but I am still considering going back to windows 7.

Last edited:

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
The only thing I lose sticking with 7 is DX12, which may come quite soon when UE4 gets the latest update.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
As to the OP, I honestly don't see why so many people still want to stick with Windows 7. Windows 7 was a great OS when it first debut, but now it's just old and dilapidated..

Even Windows 8.1 was way better than Windows 7, much less Windows 10 which is a massive leap in terms of security, performance and capability..

Privacy concerns are seriously overblown. If you're connected to the internet and use it regularly like most people, then you have no real privacy.. Been like that for years now..

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's a free upgrade. Ironically, it'll stop working as soon as you install a new CPU because it's only authorized for that specific system.

CPU? No. Motherboard? Yes. Win10 regs are tied to the motherboard. Even if you get a replacement motherboard that is the same model as the previous one, it'll still b0rk your Win10 registration.

The only thing I lose sticking with 7 is DX12, which may come quite soon when UE4 gets the latest update.

I think the point is, newer chipsets won't have driver support under 7. Support under 8.1 will be sketchy. Microsoft loses very little by kicking 8.1 to the curb since most folks who use/like 8.1 are interested in 10 anyway (not all, but most).

If you stick to existing hardware, then yes, 7 should continue to work just fine.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
As to the OP, I honestly don't see why so many people still want to stick with Windows 7. Windows 7 was a great OS when it first debut, but now it's just old and dilapidated..

Even Windows 8.1 was way better than Windows 7, much less Windows 10 which is a massive leap in terms of security, performance and capability..

Privacy concerns are seriously overblown. If you're connected to the internet and use it regularly like most people, then you have no real privacy.. Been like that for years now..

This. Who has a smartphone and actively uses it? (I don't). Google and Apple thank you for your data!

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Misleading title is misleading.

This doesn't mean that a new CPU won't work on Windows 7, this means that a new CPU won't be fully integrated into windows 7. There is a difference.

Technically, DOS will run on all X86 CPUs, even skylake. What DOS won't do is take advantage and enable all the CPU instructions and features. It won't be able to enable C4 state, use AVX instructions, or change the CPU frequency.

This is what is going on with Windows 7. It won't support new CPU features. However, new CPUs will continue to be able to run windows 7. In other words, don't expect windows 7 to expose every new CPU extension (like AVX) or power saving features. They won't be adding the extra code that is needed to enable/use these features.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013

This doesn't mean that a new CPU won't work on Windows 7, this means that a new CPU won't be fully integrated into windows 7. There is a difference.

Technically, DOS will run on all X86 CPUs, even skylake. What DOS won't do is take advantage and enable all the CPU instructions and features. It won't be able to enable C4 state, use AVX instructions, or change the CPU frequency.

This is what is going on with Windows 7. It won't support new CPU features. However, new CPUs will continue to be able to run windows 7. In other words, don't expect windows 7 to expose every new CPU extension (like AVX) or power saving features. They won't be adding the extra code that is needed to enable/use these features.

Title is correct. Win 10 is required if you want all the newest bits and extensions. Clarification sure, but the point still stands. And DOS on Skylake, heh.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Title is correct. Win 10 is required if you want all the newest bits and extensions. Clarification sure, but the point still stands. And DOS on Skylake, heh.

Title: New CPUs will require Windows 10

This is not correct. New CPUs don't require windows 10. Windows 10 is required to use all features of new CPUs. Much less exciting or buzz worthy. (but then, I don't fault you for using the article's title. Just pointing out that it misleading)

But yeah. A couple of my professors worked with intel. One of the first tests they do after fabbing a new prototype is to boot up DOS.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a bit of demand for faster CPUs to run DOS. DOS has a lot of nice features for a realtime OS. And since you are operating in ring 0 it is quite possible to pull in all the new CPU features. In fact, you could theoretically support all the CPU features you want in your user application under DOS. Sort of funny that way. DOS can support new CPU features but Windows 7 can't.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Alright just because you mentioned it, I did get DOS running on my Skylake laptop. While technically true that DOS won't take advantage of C4 states, AVX, or CPU frequency changes, that doesn't stop userland programs from doing so since DOS is just a thin membrane between userland software and the bare hardware.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
This. Who has a smartphone and actively uses it? (I don't). Google and Apple thank you for your data!
Not all phones do have Android/iOS. Mine doesn't. Decoupled from the axis of evil.

GNU/Linux is free. More free than any version of MS Windows so far. That freedom, however, has a steep price that is way too much for many. Likewise, the "free" Windows 10 has unacceptable pricing to some. Strings attached.

Should we call to Intel and AMD and tell that Microsoft forbids buying their new hardware?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Title: New CPUs will require Windows 10

This is not correct. New CPUs don't require windows 10. Windows 10 is required to use all features of new CPUs. Much less exciting or buzz worthy. (but then, I don't fault you for using the article's title. Just pointing out that it misleading)

But yeah. A couple of my professors worked with intel. One of the first tests they do after fabbing a new prototype is to boot up DOS.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a bit of demand for faster CPUs to run DOS. DOS has a lot of nice features for a realtime OS. And since you are operating in ring 0 it is quite possible to pull in all the new CPU features. In fact, you could theoretically support all the CPU features you want in your user application under DOS. Sort of funny that way. DOS can support new CPU features but Windows 7 can't.

Technically, DOS doesn't support those features. The program running on DOS can though. eg sound chips during the DOS days. Each game had its own audio driver for each chip. No OS support whatsoever. Looking back, it was rather insane: instead of programming to a standard audio interface provided by an OS, each game had to deal not only with its own audio interface, but drive the audio hardware directly. The same could be said for video, although video was quite a bit easier to deal with.