Microsoft hits a new low, now pushing 10 via IE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Windows will become subscription based when OSX and iOS become subscription based. Translation: never.

Who are you going to believe? Bent forum members with anti-MS hate? Or someone who reports on the industry, talks to high-ranking microsoft executives on a daily basis for news reporting and has never been wrong with this stuff? Take your pick.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
All evidence and reason points to them not doing a subscription-based model for the operating system.
... for the Windows 10; the "last Windows ever". You are right, that is all that we know now.

One can use one's computer for free (save the electric and ISP bills) with available free operating systems and free applications. Who could we blame for our current files being in proprietary formats supported only by non-free applications that are available only on non-free operating systems?

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Why must anyone blame anybody for anything? o_O

Why should software so different than hardware? You have to buy the hardware, so is doing a one-time purchase of software that does what you want such a bad thing? It costs a lot of time/money to develop software you know.

I'm not downplaying the free open source stuff - a LOT of good software is that way, and I use some of it myself.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't think win10 will necessarily be subscription based but I could see it where they force you to tie it to a central/cloud account of sorts, like phone OSes do. Will also turn into a very closed system that is full of ads, tracking, and other crap. I put up with it on a phone because I don't really have a choice and don't really use it for a lot of things, but there is no way I'd want to put up with that for a computer OS, which is why I now use Linux.

I also think it will eventually become adware, all the tracking they do is basically to have enough data for when they start their ad platform. You will be able to get windows 10 for free forever but there will be ads, but you'll be able to pay to get the ad free version. Really it makes total business sense. It's one thing for Google to be able to advertise to you on virtually any website that has adsense, but MS will 1 up that by being able to advertise to anyone who has a windows computer, period. That's an advertiser's dream. Basically when you open a program, you'd occasionally get a 30sec commercial come up for a related product. After the commercial you'd then have the option to continue to launch the program you were going to use, or to buy this new program through the app store. They could also tie in with Amazon and/or other major retailers and such so when there's a commercial or ad for a physical product you could set it up so you can just click "buy now" and it automatically orders it for you. The possibilities are endless.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Phones don't force you to tie to a central cloud or anything. You CAN use an iPhone or an Android without doing so. Obviously the stores won't work without being signed in but if you don't care about that stuff then big whoop. And on Android you can manually install stuff via APK and bypass the Play store altogether.

And if they ever embed actual ads into the operating system I'm either 1) finding a way to strip/block that from the OS or 2) ditching it.

Frankly though, if they say "have an ad-version for free for your new PC build, or pay $99 for the ad-free version" then fine, I'll do what I had always done and buy Windows. If you were to buy a retail PC and it came with the ad-loaded version I'd scream at Dell/HP/Sony/whoever and tell them to go burn.

Although I shouldn't have to worry anyway since I upgraded my retail Win7 license so I should have a retail Win10 that I can load on my next PC, and the next... ad-free for life yo :p