Article Microsoft hides Windows 10's offline account option

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
:rolleyes: wooow, this is why we need the internet - so we can't be tricked into signing up for things we don't want. This ploy might have fooled me, though I'm the suspicious sort.
I'm glad a local/offline account is still an option. Not having that local option would greatly deter me from upgrading to 10.

[QUOTE]
Hot Hardware said it saw multiple people claim on social media that the option of creating an offline account for Windows 10 had been removed entirely. But that wasn't the case; it had simply been made even more inscrutable. Now people have to follow the steps listed above, but
instead of being asked if they want to create an offline account, they're given the option of "Domain join instead."
[/QUOTE]

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for sharing. I'll have to keep that in mind while doing the upgrades from 7. I would have had no idea what they meant by "Domain join instead".

Reactions: FeuerFrei

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Domain join will only be present on Pro version, the home version needs the network disconnected to force a local account. Pretty dumb move IMO.

Reactions: FeuerFrei

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I saw that and hope that Microsoft will restore the use local account for all users, including home users. So now if (when) I buy a new PC I need to spec it for Pro version (or upgrade it, as my Win 7 Ultimate key would make it Pro) .. Two questions about upgrading windows 10: 1): If I do an feature update from 1803 to 1903, I am currently on use local account. I presume it will retain that. .... 2): If I let Windows update do the upgrade or I download the ISO and then run it from Windows Explorer, do I need to manually turn off Avast AV first or does the windows installer do that itself ? ? ?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I saw that and hope that Microsoft will restore the use local account for all users, including home users. So now if (when) I buy a new PC I need to spec it for Pro version (or upgrade it, as my Win 7 Ultimate key would make it Pro) .. Two questions about upgrading windows 10: 1): If I do an feature update from 1803 to 1903, I am currently on use local account. I presume it will retain that. .... 2): If I let Windows update do the upgrade or I download the ISO and then run it from Windows Explorer, do I need to manually turn off Avast AV first or does the windows installer do that itself ? ? ?

This only happens on fresh installs, though I wonder if you do a reset will it also come up? You don't need to use pro, you just need to disconnect the network when installing home, or just acquiesce and use an online account. Personally I have always used an online account so doesn't really effect me, but still think it is beyond stupid.

No idea about Avast

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Current computer is fine. Was more concerned about when I get a new one for my desktop unit. As to online or local account, I see no need or reason for Microsoft to have possible access to my data or habits. I keep all data files and such locally.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Current computer is fine. Was more concerned about when I get a new one for my desktop unit. As to online or local account, I see no need or reason for Microsoft to have possible access to my data or habits. I keep all data files and such locally.
I might be misunderstanding your comment but the microsoft account is used mainly so you can save your preferences across devices, have access to their store/apps/games, mail, etc. https://www.anandtech.com/show/9543/the-windows-10-review/16

With the local account you're not logged in to microsoft but they still collect some telemetry data depending on your settings.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I do not need to save my preference among multiple devices. And I have Windows 10 telemetry turned off with Ultimate Windows Tweaker ... I do not need or trust my files to be in the cloud.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
It's annoying, but ultimately, it's just another step to add to the install checklist. I like to install Windows 10 connected to the Internet so that it can get the majority of its updates during the installation process, so I just add the updated procedure to my setup guides. My checklist now includes doing pretty much everything in triplicate because of all of the stupid steps that Microsoft adds into the process, such as doing an offline account, or disabling your advertising ID, or adding a new user to the machine.

It's an extremely deceptive approach because it fools users into thinking they need a Microsoft Online account in order to use the computer, when that is absolutely not the case, and creates additional hassles when you're not connected to the Internet, as well as if you ever run into a problem with your locally-logged-in online account & don't have an admin account to access for emergency purposes. Here are the updated procedures based on the screenshots of the latest Windows 10 installer release:

Windows 10 Home procedure:

1. Install Windows 10 Home edition & get to the account setup portion
2. Disconnect from the Internet
3. Try creating a Microsoft account
4. At this point, because it is unable to connect to the Internet, it will give you a "Something went wrong" page
5. Click on the "Skip" button
6. Now create your local Windows account
7. Skip & uncheck all of the unnecessary crap

Windows 10 Pro procedure:

1. Install Windows 10 Pro edition & get to the account setup portion
2. Select "Set up for an organization"
3. "Offline account" has been renamed to "Domain join instead", so click that link in the lower left-hand corner of the screen
4. Now create your local Windows account
5. Skip & uncheck all of the unnecessary crap

Super shady! My basic procedure for home-user computers is to setup the PC with an offline admin account per the Win10 Home procedure above, then add an additional offline admin account for the user, that way they have a fall-back account in case of problems with their primary user account:

1. Click on the Start Menu button (flag icon)
2. Click on the Settings button (gear icon
3. Click on the Accounts button
4. Click on the "Family & other users" link
5. Click on the "+ Add someone to this PC" area
6. Click on the "I don't have this person's sign-on information" link
7. Click on the "Add a user without a Microsoft account" link
8. Now add the user's account name & optionally a password

If the user doesn't require a password & it's OK to have them automatically sign into the computer upon boot, then do this as well:

1. Click on the Start Menu button
2. Type in "netplwiz" (without the quotes) & click on the "run command' button
3. Click on the user's account name
4. Click to uncheck "this user must enter a user name and password to use this computer"
5. Click apply
6. If they have a password, enter it now (twice)
7. Reboot & the account will auto-login

It's a far cry from just adding a username & password during setup, and then adding an additional user from the control panel. Pretty annoying!