microsoft goes after google ?

h8red

Jul 24, 2001
I think they are better suited trying to make their own software bug-free first;)

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
nice.. i can't imagine a search engine better than google.....
especially after reading the 250 page book Google Hacks by Timothy O'Rielly(well i really just read bits and bits of it :p)...

interested to see what they can do..

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
"Search results tailored to individual users based on a history of their interests and searches is one area that Microsoft is looking at, Koenigsbauer said."
This exactly what I do not want in a search engine.
I am familiar with my past and present interests and have seen the sites in my search history. It would be more beneficial for me to have new sites come up with new searches along with those past visited.
The very thing I found intriguing about the internet was the vast array of information and sources previously unavailable to me.
There is no need to pigeonhole each user and narrow the scope of their search for sites related to any given subject.

BOOOOOOO!

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: ZOXXO
<EM>"Search results tailored to individual users based on a history of their interests and searches is one area that Microsoft is looking at, Koenigsbauer said."</EM>
I am familiar with my past and present interests and have seen the sites in my search history. It would be more beneficial for me to have new sites come up with new searches along with those past visited.
The very thing I found intriguing about the internet was the vast array of information and sources previously unavailable to me.
There is no need to pigeonhole each user and narrow the scope of their search for sites related to any given subject.

BOOOOOOO!

Actually, I can see why this would be good technology. Of course, it'd have to be able to be turned on/off.What if you don't remember that one site you need to get to? You didn't bookmark the website. You can't find it, for whatever reason. Turn on this tech and there ya go, it searchs and gives you results based on sites you've been to.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Geez, how much can possibly be done with a simple search feature??
I think Google has the lockdown on it though, regardless of what can or cant be done.

neilm

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by: MangoTBG
<EM>"Search results tailored to individual users based on a history of their interests and searches is one area that Microsoft is looking at, Koenigsbauer said."</EM>

BOOOOOOO!

Actually, I can see why this would be good technology. Of course, it'd have to be able to be turned on/off.What if you don't remember that one site you need to get to? You didn't bookmark the website. You can't find it, for whatever reason. Turn on this tech and there ya go, it searchs and gives you results based on sites you've been to.

Why not use History then? I agree with ZOXXO, wouldn't like to have a search engine to have a feature like that.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: neilm
Originally posted by: MangoTBG
<EM>"Search results tailored to individual users based on a history of their interests and searches is one area that Microsoft is looking at, Koenigsbauer said."</EM> This exactly what I do not want in a search engine.

BOOOOOOO!

Why not use History then? I agree with ZOXXO, wouldn't like to have a search engine to have a feature like that.

I'm sure it would have a feature to clear the database so your parents wouldn't know you've been looking at h0t squirel pr0n again.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
...and I was hoping to sell them my own technology. I call it aircoogle. Microsoft would get a request for a search, then call me on an analog phone with the search query. I then search google and relay the information back to microsoft via email who then gives the results to the searcher.

Nah, it'll never sell..... :)

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: aircooled
...and I was hoping to sell them my own technology. I call it aircoogle. Microsoft would get a request for a search, then call me on an analog phone with the search query. I then search google and relay the information back to microsoft via email who then gives the results to the searcher.

The problem exist in between the keyboard and the chair.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: OulOat

But look how this glass of red wine dosn't tip over even as I jump on the bed.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: OulOat

But look how this glass of red wine dosn't tip over even as I jump on the bed.

:beer::D

No wait, it'd be :wine::D