Microsoft Confirms Windows 7 for 2010

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Screenshots of Windows 7 here.

Windows 7 (formerly known as Blackcomb and Vienna) is the working name for the next major version of Microsoft Windows as the successor of Windows Vista. Microsoft has announced that it is "scoping Windows 7 development to a three-year timeframe", and that "the specific release date will ultimately be determined by meeting the quality bar." Windows 7 is expected to be released sometime in 2010. The client versions of Windows 7 will ship in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. A server variant, codenamed Windows Server 7, is also under development.

Microsoft is maintaining a policy of silence concerning discussion of plans and aspirations for Windows 7 as they focus on the release and marketing of Windows Vista, stating that Microsoft does not want to promise features and then fail to deliver, as happened with Windows Vista Ultimate, though some early details of various core operating system features have emerged. As a result, little is known about the feature set, though public presentations from company officials have disseminated information about some features. Leaked information from people to whom Milestone 1 (M1) of Windows 7 was shipped also provides some insight into the feature set.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I certainly hope they have a stripped down version and not just another incredible bloated OS. I would love a streamlined version of Windows without all of the crap that I never use. I want excellent security and performance with zero bloat. Is that too much to ask?

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Imagine that, looks a lot like Vista.
It looks like a lot of random things...Beyond just different themes.

But yeah, everything has a Vista feel to it.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I didn't read anything on that page, but those pics scream fake. Fake fake fake. They look like awful user-created Vista themes.

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
I did hear that Windows 7 is going to have Pie Menu and Office2k7 like interface but these screes might very well be fake.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: MustISO
I certainly hope they have a stripped down version and not just another incredible bloated OS. I would love a streamlined version of Windows without all of the crap that I never use. I want excellent security and performance with zero bloat. Is that too much to ask?
Good luck on that one. :roll:

Perhaps NT4 was less bloated than ME...but aside from that, I can't think of an example where an MS OS became more efficient over time.

Really and truly you could accomplish a "stripped down Vista" by installing Windows 2000. It's not like you need DX10 for anything useful. ;)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: SickBeast
Originally posted by: MustISO
Good luck on that one. :roll:

Perhaps NT4 was less bloated than ME...but aside from that, I can't think of an example where an MS OS became more efficient over time.

Really and truly you could accomplish a "stripped down Vista" by installing Windows 2000. It's not like you need DX10 for anything useful. ;)

Let me know when Windows 2000's security or memory cache or rendering subsystem matches Vista's. You can accomplish a stripped down version of Vista by running Server 2008 Core.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mb
I didn't read anything on that page, but those pics scream fake. Fake fake fake. They look like awful user-created Vista themes.

It looks believable to me, but its clearly an example of the way it would look on a UMPC or something.

Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
Credible or not!!!!! from M$ recent release experience's ive had it will be long after ALL bug are worked out before i venture to any of thier new OSes.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
MS is calling it a "Major Release" so they can charge full price for the upgrade. :p

I AM looking forward to the new Calculator interface, though.

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: RebateMonger
MS is calling it a "Major Release" so they can charge full price for the upgrade. :p

I AM looking forward to the new Calculator interface, though.

LOL I bet MS is gonna re-write user interface with WPF layer. So you can customize the calc the way you want it. Recently I did a project that adjusts the UI based on Primary User Type namely - Developer, Gamer, Multimedia, IT Admin etc.

Griffinhart

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
So some anonymous blog has "screenshots" of Win7 (Are they real?) and that's MS confirming Win7 for 2010?

It is possible that Win7 will arrive in 2010 since it would be 4 years after Vista's release, but I don't think we could go by this blog as a source.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Maybe with windows 7 we will be able to drag and drop windows around the taskbar... just like the tabs in firefox.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: jaredpace
hopefully win7 will entice me into switching from xp pro ;)

Not if you hate Vista. It has been confirmed that Win 7 is based on Vista and not miniwin by Steven Sinofsky himself. (For those who don't know, he is head of the Windows Development Team.)

Interview with Steven Sinofsky at Cnet

As I and some others have been saying all along is that Win 7 is a refresh of Vista. All of the signs from Microsoft have been pointing in this direction and now it is confirmed by the man in charge of it's development. Although they are calling it a major release, it is basically Vista R2, just like XP was 2000 R2.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: soonerproud
Not if you hate Vista. It has been confirmed that Win 7 is based on Vista and not miniwin by Steven Sinofsky himself.
He's out doing damage control to stop the rumours that MS is going to come up with a highly-modified desktop OS in 2009 or 2010. It's going to be 2009 before Vista becomes solidly entrenched in homes and corporations. The last thing anybody will want in 2009 is a completely new OS in 2010.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: RebateMonger
He's out doing damage control to stop the rumours that MS is going to come up with a highly-modified desktop OS in 2009 or 2010. It's going to be 2009 before Vista becomes solidly entrenched in homes and corporations. The last thing anybody will want in 2009 is a completely new OS in 2010.

Absolutely correct.

It is amazing how much minwin has taken a life of it's own. Paul Thurrott tried to no avail to address the rumors by proving that A) minwin was nothing new and has existed even before XP and B) that Win 7 would not include minwin. He turned out to be the only mainstream tech journalist to get this one right.

Another issue Steve was trying to address was there is no reason to wait to upgrade since both Vista and Win 7 will share the same code base.