Microsoft charging for Solitaire now?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
"to remove ads"
"Microsoft Solitaire Collection Premium Edition"
"No, you don’t need it to play Solitaire"
"To be fair, Microsoft made the same offer for Solitaire Premium Edition within Windows 8.1"
"To Microsoft’s credit, there are no distracting banner ads within the Solitaire playfield itself"
"Microsoft can make Windows 10—an entire operating system, mind you—a free upgrade"

So Microsoft made Windows 10 free, but they have the audacity to make Solitaire freemium?
Yeah, not worth getting bothered about.

Feb 6, 2007
There's always a catch in these "free operating systems." $2 for Solitaire? WELL I GUESS I'LL JUST REINSTALL WINDOWS 98!

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Solitaire is MS's killer app for win 10, it shows just how powerful win 10 can be!
It will be the #1 seller of the OS, just so people can get their hands on it!

Tarvaln

Apr 28, 2004
This is going to sound crazy. But, hear me out.

You could just buy a deck of cards at a dollar store for around, a dollar. And play all the Solitaire you want.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
There's always a catch in these "free operating systems" $2 for Solitaire? WELL I GUESS I'LL JUST REINSTALL WINDOWS 98!

I remember the Windows 98 installation disc came with a few game demos, including a Jurassic Park game, Chaos Island. I don't know what the full versions were going for, but it certainly wasn't $2. Games like Solitaire and Minesweeper might be a sacred cow and people may resent there being a premium version or ads, but it doesn't bother me much.

On another nostalgic note, Microsoft did make a free web version of Hover! a while back (at hover.ie), and it even has the classic version built into it.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
In all seriousness, I wonder if there is some licensing deal at work here, is it actually built by MS, or, do they distribute it?

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
My understanding is they made it and distribute it. One other point (that probably won't matter to people getting cranky about it), it's not just solitaire. It's a collection (small one) of card solitaire games. It has Spider, TriPeaks, Freecell, Pyramid, Klondike (The normal solitaire). It also syncs up with Xbox Live, gives you Xbox achievement points and allows you to compare stats with your Xbox friends. I already know a bunch of people will start saying they aren't on Live and don't care about it, but my point is it's become a bit more involved than the old school solitaire they gave away for free. If you're a fan of the series and want to do the challenges they put into it (things like having only so many moves to complete the board in Freecell) it's not that bad of a price.

One other thing.. in the article it says "To Microsoft’s credit, there are no distracting banner ads within the Solitaire playfield itself, just an annoying full-screen video advertisement that appears when the Challenge options are loaded." I just loaded up the game. Nothing popped when I was just screwing off playing Freecell. It only happened when I attempted to load up a challenge. I guess if you want more than just screwing off with one of the games, then you either need to pay or sit through 20-30 seconds of TV ads. Still not seeing the heartburn..

Last edited:

Kol Khara

Jul 8, 2015
Or maybe you can just download one of the 1.5 billion FREE solitaire games on the net instead?

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
So Microsoft made Windows 10 free, but they have the audacity to make Solitaire freemium?
Yeah, not worth getting bothered about.

Well, honestly, I haven't fired up solitaire or minesweeper...probably since win 95. So, them charging money for solitaire, or for getting rid of ads or whatnot, I don't really care.

And, I'll be the first to admit, I haven't really kept up with anything win 10 related, but my understanding was, there will probably be quite a bit more pay to access aps/programs in win 10? If thats actually the case, and I'm not misunderstanding it, I can't say I'm all that excited about it.

Even if it only takes, say, 50$ to get windows 10 up and working the way I want it, as opposed to paying 130 for windows 7 or 8, I'd still rather just pay a 1 time fee, and have it, then getting nickeled and dime'd to death every time I find out that i did need something behind the pay wall.

Right now, I'm not really planning on getting the free upgrade to windows 10, at least not immediately. I'll let everyone who is excited about it be the guinea pigs first.

If it turns out it really is a great, free, upgrade, that wont have all the decent features behind pay walls, then I'll jump on it eventually.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
You short changed the Article, here's the real meat :

Netflix charges you $7.99 per month for thousands of streaming movies and TV shows. Spotify, Slacker, Rdio and others charge about $10 per month for unlimited music. And Microsoft? They want you to pay $1.50 per month to remove ads from Solitaire.

The "per month" is the really absurd portion everyone seems to be skipping over.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Well, honestly, I haven't fired up solitaire or minesweeper...probably since win 95. So, them charging money for solitaire, or for getting rid of ads or whatnot, I don't really care.

And, I'll be the first to admit, I haven't really kept up with anything win 10 related, but my understanding was, there will probably be quite a bit more pay to access aps/programs in win 10? If thats actually the case, and I'm not misunderstanding it, I can't say I'm all that excited about it.

Even if it only takes, say, 50$ to get windows 10 up and working the way I want it, as opposed to paying 130 for windows 7 or 8, I'd still rather just pay a 1 time fee, and have it, then getting nickeled and dime'd to death every time I find out that i did need something behind the pay wall.

Right now, I'm not really planning on getting the free upgrade to windows 10, at least not immediately. I'll let everyone who is excited about it be the guinea pigs first.

If it turns out it really is a great, free, upgrade, that wont have all the decent features behind pay walls, then I'll jump on it eventually.

If you're paying less for the apps you want instead of paying twice as much for stuff you may never need, how is that nickel and diming you to death? Seems like choice is much better in this case.

Feb 6, 2007
I think the fear is a slippery slope. If one of Window's most famous applications can go Freemium, what keeps them from doing that to the file manager or the taskbar?

Next thing you know, they might have the gall to start charging for the Operating System itself. WHERE DOES IT END?!

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Next thing you know, they might have the gall to start charging for the Operating System itself. WHERE DOES IT END?!

The problem isn't charging for any particular thing. It's charging on an ongoing basis for things.

$120 for a Windows license versus $10/month to use Windows are two completely different things.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

You joke but that is the fear. That you never "own" Windows, you lease it for x per year.

Most people don't specifically pay for a Windows licence. It came with a computer. It was "free." Any push to SAS from MS will be making people pay for something that was "free."

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Solitaire has been like this since WINDOWS 8.

This thread, and the story, are garbage.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
People still open Solitaire? I thought that was just my wife before I showed her Portal. :confused:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
This is going to bankrupt government offices everywhere! :D

Why are they charging a monthly fee just for bloody solitaire. Anyway, I'm sure there's plenty of free alternatives online.