Microphone problem. I can hear myself, but nobody else can...

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Yesterday I hooked my headset back up after not using it for a long time, mainly to use it for on line gaming (Team speak). When I talk, I can hear myself just fine, also I get massive feedback if I turn it up to much, however no one else seems to be able to hear ME. I thought it MAY be a problem with team speak so I tried using it with sound recorder and it didn't seem to work either (nothing recorded).

Anyone know what may be going on with it?

T/B Santa Cruz sound card and windows XP Pro.

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
How do you mean you can hear yourself? When you have mic/line-in unmuted you mean?

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: CSMR
How do you mean you can hear yourself? When you have mic/line-in unmuted you mean?

Yes, when I speak I can hear my voice through the headphones.

I just tested it with the wizard and it didn't work either.

I'm pretty sure it's plugged in right.

Guess I better check to make sure....

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
Yesterday I hooked my headset back up after not using it for a long time, mainly to use it for on line gaming (Team speak). When I talk, I can hear myself just fine, also I get massive feedback if I turn it up to much, however no one else seems to be able to hear ME. I thought it MAY be a problem with team speak so I tried using it with sound recorder and it didn't seem to work either (nothing recorded).

Anyone know what may be going on with it?

T/B Santa Cruz sound card and windows XP Pro.
I would lay odds its not connected correctly.

Or its possible that you have issues with you sound setup.

I use Team Speak for UT.

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
Can you check that the sound is coming in via the mic or line in? I.e. mute and unmute each in volume control and see what happens.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
That's weird.

I unplugged the headphone jack from the Versa jack and plugged it into the line in on the sound card and NOW it's working.

Strange. The manual says to plug the headphone into where it was...

Now I have to see if my TV will work plugged into the versa jack.:confused:

EDIT: Yup, that works.

Strange.

Thanks for the help!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
thats still very wrong. are you sure your reading the plug labels right? yellow jack is versa. it outputs to ehadphones only if versajack headphones is selected in the mixer utility. as for mic, it should always go into mic. it should be unmuted. and in windows volume control panel thing, go to advanced or whatever and set it to show the recording sliders. set it to microphone... i have that card also. also, newest drivers are 4194 i think line in never outputs, its a line in. headsets for computers need to have separate plugs for mic and headphones.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Right

Before I had the Mic in the Mic jack(pink), my TV to the line in(light blue) headphones in the Versa jack (yellow) and my speakers to the front and rear jacks (green/black) I don't know WHY it wouldn't work that way, but it didn't. I had set Versa jack to line out. Nothing was muted anyplace... Etc.

I don't know WHY it wouldn't work but it wouldn't. (Thats why I asked for help ;) )

Everything seem to be working fine now though, I tried recording in sound recorder and it worked, I also did the test in team speak and the mic is working there now as well.

WEIRD I know! :confused:

Also, I changed the versa jack to input from output, and the TV is working fine now too.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
weird... probably a software probllem? eh, i guess if ur really bothered, u can test in another system

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
thats still very wrong. are you sure your reading the plug labels right? yellow jack is versa. it outputs to ehadphones only if versajack headphones is selected in the mixer utility. as for mic, it should always go into mic. it should be unmuted. and in windows volume control panel thing, go to advanced or whatever and set it to show the recording sliders. set it to microphone... i have that card also. also, newest drivers are 4194 i think line in never outputs, its a line in. headsets for computers need to have separate plugs for mic and headphones.

If it works in line-in and is clearly audible, it could be a line-level microphone (ie with internal preamp).