Microcenter vs. Newegg

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
In short, if I can get a slightly better deal on parts at Newegg, does that overcome the convenience of being able to run to Microcenter for a return/exchange if the Microcenter is fairly close to me (w/in 20ish mins)?

I haven't really thought about PC hardware since I built my last computer 4-5 years ago, but I'm getting the itch to put together a new gaming/simulation-running rig, and I'm shopping components. There look like good deals to be had on both newegg and at Microcenter, but I'm thinking it might be worth paying a little extra at Microcenter if there are problems and I need to make a return/exchange or pick-up something extra quickly.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Only you can really answer that question. I personally only have returned 1 item to Newegg and even got them to not charge me a restock fee. It took more time but it was a smooth process.

I personally find that instore Microcenter sales tend to beat Newegg in most cases though.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'd shop at MC more if it weren't 2hrs away. Otherwise, I shop primarily NE and Amazon. Sometimes Tiger Direct but NE usually has the better deals. In your situation, if MC is close, I would just buy from the better deals and be done. NE customer service is top notch (at least for me) and I've never had any problems returning anything. Which is rare in itself.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks folks, good to hear about NE's cust service being so good also, gives me the freedom to really shop around :)

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
By the time you add on the Tax and Gas, is it really worth it? I would have to leave my basement!

Feb 25, 2011
Depends.

I buy most of my stuff on Amazon now anyway. Use Newegg for searching/researching, but Amazon's almost always cheaper. (And wins double in terms of availability of used hardware for cheap, without eBay's general level of suck.)

Microcenter only wins on price if you're buying CPUs, CPU/motherboard combos when they're doing their $50 off promos, and small items like USB cables (which are overpriced in-store, but not so overpriced that you won't take the convenience factor over "$5 shipping for $0.01 cable" deals you see on the internet.)

I've been lucky inasmuch as I haven't had to return much stuff, and Amazon's return shipping process is excellent. MC's far enough away that I'd rather drop it in the FedEx box and save gas, anyway.

Last edited:

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Microcenter only wins on price if you're buying CPUs, CPU/motherboard combos when they're doing their $50 off promos, and small items like USB cables (which are overpriced in-store, but if you have to pay $5 shipping for a $1 cable from Newegg, then $7 for a cable at MC isn't such a big deal.)

Microcenter beat Newegg when I showed up there with my 'gear list' by $95 (with tax) on about $800 worth of parts. They price match online prices.

Obviously you always need to look at prices. Next week Newegg could win.

Pinecallado

Dec 23, 2012
Well for me since I live in NJ I have to pay 7% sales tax to newegg. Since my state's microcenter is in Paterson I only I have to pay 3.5% sales tax. I save a lot more money with microcenter since newegg and microcenter both have similar prices.

And amazon would be more convient for online purchases for me because I pay neither tax or shipping. (Well until July at least)

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
all of them are good. however if price were all the same.

amazon is first choice if amazon fulfilled.
microcenter is second if local.
newegg is third.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Does that include the CPU/MoBo bundles, or are those sucker-deals?

No, the CPU/mobo deals are really the way to go if that's what you need. They beat NE hands down.

I've also found good deals on HDD's and a few other components, stuff on sale like anywhere else. There is also something to be said about going into a B&M store and pawing through stuff. Had I done that before I ordered my HAF922 case, I wouldn't have bought it.

I live about 40 minutes away from the Dallas MC... if it was any closer I would be in trouble.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If I had one of those stores within 15 minutes of the house (Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter),I would have a really hard time ordering something over just going there and buying it (tax notwithstanding). It would have to be a pretty decent price difference.

As I age, I have learned that paying a couple bucks more for an item is not worth the time it would take to find it, for an item that should last me a few years.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Microcenter is fairly close to me (w/in 20ish mins)?

Micro Center will price match Newegg. Of course you will use your time and gas money, plus pay tax. However, no chance of anything lost/damaged by UPS. Up to you.

Me? If I lived that close to a Micro Center (instead of 70 miles away) I would be broke. :eek:

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
The nearest Microcenter is more than 3 1/2 hours away. If it were closer, I'm sure I would have grabbed one of their CPU/motherboard deals by now :D

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Newegg is better for me for almost everything besides CPU's, since I don't have to pay VA sales tax and usually get free shipping.