Microcenter B&M: AMD Athlon II X2 250 and Biostar A780L3G mATX Motherboard, $58

KDKPSJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2002
Great deal, just the thing is it's been there for a while :) I picked up the exact combo back in November. Shame it didn't go down! (but good for me) lol

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why are all of their newer CPU's available for local pickup only? They can figure out how to ship motherboards but haven't been able to work out how to ship a CPU along with it?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Why are all of their newer CPU's available for local pickup only? They can figure out how to ship motherboards but haven't been able to work out how to ship a CPU along with it?

Probably they want the foot traffic in store. They want you going home with some cans of air and other misc stuff.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I've bought 8 or so cpu+MB combos from my local microcenter over the last few years, and they are all working great. The last free motherboard I bought even had decent overclocking controls and was able to unlock extra cores. I've been very happy with these combos.

Brother Ali

Jun 14, 2007
Running msi 785GM-P45 with x2 250 and I am happy. For $58 AR this is an amazing combo. While people are paying $300 (on sale) for sandy bridge/mobo im paying 1/6th that and honestly its plenty of performance for most people.

The cpu is pretty equivalent to the e5200 from intel.

FYI, the core unlocker is pretty much useless, everytime I unlocked my x2 phenom to x4 the board would die. Turns out the board can only handle 95W. Still excellent mobo for a budget board but I would pair it up with an althlon X4 instead of a x2 phenom hoping to unlock it.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
You could substitute this better motherboard and end up paying about the same after a $20 rebate

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0342512

That's a really good deal w/ an HDMI port. As most people will be using these as HTPC's and portable type systems anyway. I'm kind of rebated out though. After last weeks memory deals and HD's and what not, I'm in like 5 rebates deep now... I don't really track either, so any more would be too many.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Running msi 785GM-P45...

FYI, the core unlocker is pretty much useless, everytime I unlocked my x2 phenom to x4 the board would die. Turns out the board can only handle 95W. Still excellent mobo for a budget board but I would pair it up with an althlon X4 instead of a x2 phenom hoping to unlock it.

See this thread of the same mobo with a 95W CPU... CPU got overclocked and Prime95 was running... board died.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
I just got in on this great deal! I've been looking for a really cheap combo for a while. This will be my first time going to a microcenter. Thanks for posting!

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
Just wanted to say I got the Athlon II 250 and biostar combo together today. I was concerned about the '760g' graphics chipset and how it compared to the 780g, notably I believe it lacks hardware h264 acceleration. I can definitely say it's fast enough to watch 1080p on youtube though, with about 40% cpu utilization.

I paired it with the $30 after MIR Patriot memory deal going on at Microcenter. To use this memory on AM3 you'll need to overvolt it.. I'm running a memtest on it right now at 1.7 V and I'll find out in the morning if it's stable. Not a bad first purchase from microcenter :)